ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING As promised, a closer look at DL recruiting moving forward

Russell Johnson

Recruiting Analyst / Managing Editor
Staff
May 19, 2016
Starting out at defensive end, where the staff have to be thrilled about the guys they have in the class.

COMMITS

Outlook moving forward-

Barring a decommitment, either from another school, or to one of the commitments above, the staff appear done at the position.

Collins had offers from all over the country when he first committed to UCF. I've detailed Collins and his recruitment several times, but for some recruits, the process becomes overwhelming with so many coaches, reporters, etc. contacting you, selling you on their school and such.

We have talked so much on this website about schools squeezing kids, but what we haven't talked about is kids pressuring schools to commit early.

Let me explain.

A recruit, usually a 5.6 or 5.7, is being bombarded by schools all over the country. Normally, the pressure translates from kid to school after a visit. The kid is interested in the school, to some degree, but knows he isn't going to sign there.

Rather than continuing to string everyone along, and in an attempt to preserve phone battery, family time, etc. a commitment is made to school x and it makes everyone look good at the time.

The school has the commitment from a coveted prospect, and the prospect's recruitment slows down. (somewhat)

Months, sometimes weeks later, the prospect either flips to another school, or decommits.

Make sense?

Anyways, back to the defensive line class.

If they are able to flip Zavier Carter, they would find room for him in the class. When Carter originally committed to LSU.

The Bayou Bengals have a very good success rate at securing commitments from recruits out-of-state.

Keeping them has been the problem in the past, and could be again in the Class of 2021. Here are just four of the several recruits LSU had early commitments from last cycle, and where they ended up-

It would surprise no one if he ended up opening things back up. If that happens, look for Georgia Tech to be among the schools to make a push, as Carter projects for them at the OLB/DE role.

That's really the only drama that's going on at DE. DT is an entirely different story.

COMMIT

TARGETS
Cameron Ball JR VIDEO (Tri-Cities- Atlanta, GA) can also play OL
Luther McCoy JR VIDEO (Creekside- Fruit Cove, FL)
Taleeq Robins JR VIDEO (Imhotep Institute Charter- Philadelphia, PA)
Christopher Thomas JR VIDEO (Dunbar- Fort Myers, FL) verbal to UF

The recruitment of Cam Ball has been so well documented on this here message board, so I will do my best to sum up as quickly as possible. Ball really wants to take visits before announcing any type of decision. Georgia Tech has one spot left at the position. That is a first-come, first serve spot in the class. He likes Georgia Tech a lot. He likes Arkansas a lot, too.

Christopher Thomas is someone they would love to flip, but at this time no one knows what he plans on doing.

Luther McCoy had an official visit in the month of June scheduled, but that (obviously) been canceled. (read more on McCoy here)

I did some further digging on McCoy over the weekend and into Monday. Per sources, McCoy is looking to release a top schools list in the next week or two.

Coleman and Knight are his two main points of contact, and he was able to get on a Zoom call recently with the defensive staff, as well as Coach Collins.

He's no stranger to the city of Atlanta, and per sources, he would like to get back on campus when able.

"There's a lot to do up there," McCoy said in a brief conversation with JOL. "They see me as a defensive tackle that can rush the QB, while being solid against the run as well."

McCoy, per sources close to his recruitment, is hearing the most from Florida State, Baylor, South Carolina, and NC State as well as Georgia Tech. He is very interested in the opportunities, again per sources, that the city of Atlanta and GT would give him both on and off-the-field.

A defensive tackle without an offer to keep an eye on? Fuches Lewis in the Savannah area. Popovich has been in touch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News