ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Alexander Named Georgia Tech Wide Receivers Coach

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb

Veteran wideouts coach joins Yellow Jackets’ offensive staff after five seasons at Notre Dame

THE FLATS – Del Alexander, a 23-year coaching veteran who spent the last five years tutoring wideouts at Notre Dame, has joined Georgia Tech football’s staff as wide receivers coach, head coachGeoff Collins announced on Monday.

Alexander comes to Georgia Tech after spending the past five seasons as wide receivers coach at Notre Dame (2017-21). He helped lead the Fighting Irish to bowl games in each of his five years at Notre Dame, including two College Football Playoff appearances. While in South Bend, four wideouts under Alexander’s tutelage were selected the National Football League Draft, including second-round pick Chase Claypool (2020) and third-round selection Miles Boykin (2019).

“I’m extremely excited to welcome Coach Alexander and his family to Georgia Tech,” Collins said. “Del’s experience and success as both a player and a coach will make him a terrific addition to our coaching staff and a huge asset for our players.”

Prior to Notre Dame, Alexander spent five years at Arizona State (2012-16), including four seasons as passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach and one season as tight ends coach. The Sun Devils’ offensive attack relied heavily on Alexander’s wide receivers and tight ends with his wideouts accounted for as high as 57 percent of ASU’s touchdowns and 61 percent of its total yardage in 2014. With Alexander at the helm of the aerial attack, Arizona State made three bowl games and had two NFL Draft picks, including third-round selection Jaelen Strong (2015).

Before joining the staff at Arizona State, Alexander coached wide receivers for five seasons at Wisconsin (2007-11), helping guide the Badgers to two Big Ten Championships and five bowl appearances (including back-to-back Rose Bowls in 2010-11). Wisconsin’s offense rewrote the program’s record book with Alexander on staff, passing for a school-record 3,280 yards in 2011 and amassing another top-five passing yardage total in 2009.

Alexander’s career also includes stints as running backs coach/assistant special teams coordinator at San Diego (2005-06), recruiting coordinator/wide receivers at Oregon State (2003-04), and passing game coordinator/wide receivers/quarterbacks (2001-01) and wide receivers/quarterbacks (2002) at UNLV. He began his coaching career at Southern California as an assistant video coordinator (1995) before coaching tight ends as a graduate assistant (1996-97). He also spent a year as a senior offensive assistant for running backs with the San Diego Chargers (1999).

In total, he’s helped lead teams to 17 bowl berths, including four trips to the Rose Bowl (1995 – USC; 2010-11 – Wisconsin; 2020 – Notre Dame), and two College Football Playoff berths.

“My family and I are extremely thankful for the opportunity Geoff’s given us here at Georgia Tech,” Alexander said. “I look forward to joining a great staff and working tirelessly day in and day out. The wide receiver group is extremely talented and I can’t wait to help them develop even more. (Georgia Tech offensive coordinator/tight ends) Coach (Chip) Long and I have had a lot of success together and I can’t wait to share the sideline with him again. Atlanta is an incredible city and I can’t wait to get to work.”

Alexander played wide receiver for one season at West Los Angeles College in 1992 before finishing his career at Southern California (1993-94), where he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in social sciences/history in 1995. He and his wife, Star, have three sons: JD, Jalen and Drew.

THE DEL ALEXANDER FILE

Personal

Hometown:
Los Angeles, Calif.

Family: Wife: Star; Children: JD, Jalen and Drew.

Alma Mater: Southern California (B.A., Social Sciences/History, 1995)

Playing Experience (WR)

1992: West Los Angeles College

1993-94: Southern California

Coaching Experience

1995: Southern California (assistant video coordinator)

1996-97: Southern California (graduate assistant - tight ends)

1998: UNLV (wide receivers)

1999: San Diego Chargers (senior offensive assistant - running backs)

2000-01: UNLV (passing game coordinator/wide receivers/quarterbacks)

2002: UNLV (wide receivers/quarterbacks)

2003-04: Oregon State (recruiting coordinator/wide receivers)

2005-06: San Diego (running backs/assistant special teams coordinator)

2007-11: Wisconsin (wide receivers)

2012-15: Arizona State (passing game coordinator/wide receivers)

2016: Arizona State (tight ends)

2017-21: Notre Dame (wide receivers)

2022: Georgia Tech (wide receivers)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News