ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS RECRUITING Addressing The 2022 MBB Recruiting Class

JaredHalus

Staff
Jan 25, 2016
Peachtree City, GA
Josh Pastner and Georgia Tech are coming off of a historic season that saw the Yellow Jackets win their first ACC championship since 1993 and have their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2010. The Pastner era has had its bumps in the road, but promising development and the fruition of the “get old and stay old” philosophy has helped the team catapult to new levels, which has definitely helped more fans hop back on board and has turned the heads of many recruits as well.

The Jackets signed a top 25 class last season with Deebo Coleman, Miles Kelly and Jalon Moore all set to join the team, but even with the excitement of having those three on the way, most Tech fans are currently focused on the same question: What’s the plan for Jose Alvarado, Mike Devoe, and Moses Wright?

While I’d love to answer that for you, I cannot. But definitely check out Kelly’s latest hoop scoop to see the latest. Instead, let’s take a look at the 2022 recruiting class and what it could potentially look like.

Here’s how the roster currently stands for next season (scholarship wise):

G Jordan Usher
G Bubba Parham
F Khalid Moore
G Kyle Sturdivant
F/C Saba Gigiberia
G Tristan Maxwell
F Jordan Meka
F Rodney Howard
G Deivon Smith

INCOMING:
G Dallan Coleman
G Miles Kelly
F Jalon Moore

QUESTIONABLE:
Jose Alvarado
Mike Devoe
Moses Wright

So far there have been 28 offers sent out to 2022 prospects, but from what I have gathered to this point, there is a good chance that the class could consist of just as many transfers as high school prospects. With two really good young guards coming in as well as Smith transferring in who also has plenty of eligibility, I think they will continue looking towards the portal for more guard help if they decide they need more, but that will largely depend on Alvarado/Devoe. There has been some interest shown to some guys recently in the portal, but nothing really serious. Where I think they will really focus on high school guys is for another big. Guys like Malique Ewin, RJ Godfrey, Braeden Moore, Kaleb Banks, and most recently Noah Clowney are all pretty big targets. Let’s take a closer look at those guys.

MALIQUE EWIN:

The Lilburn native is rising fast, and is said to be on the brink of five star status. If I’m not overlooking something, Georgia Tech was the first to get involved here back in June of 2019, and Ewin even had guys like Quavo (very famous rapper and known UGA fan) comment on his post announcing the offer. Obviously has nothing to do with his recruitment, but a cool endorsement for sure if you’d call it that. Anyways, the relationship here has been growing ever since, and the Jackets are continuing to stay on Ewin hard. He has kept things pretty close to the hip to this point, but I’m continuing to try to get an interview. UGA, Alabama, Florida, Mizzou, VT, Xavier, and Murray State are also in the mix.

Here’s what @Dan McDonald had to say about him back in January:

“Malique Ewin will be making a huge jump in the next set of rankings. He's far from a finished product, but he's so talented that it wouldn't surprise if we still don't have him high enough at this update. He's a legitimate 6-foot-10 with a strong build yet he has great body control. He has strong hands, soft touch, and the skill level to make shots and beat other post players off the dribble.”

RJ GODFREY

Three-star small forward RJ Godfrey has seen his stock rise this year, and Georgia Tech is one of the schools on him the hardest. Coach Julian Swartz is in contact nearly daily, and tells Godfrey that he is a priority for the Jackets. The last time we spoke with Godfrey, he explained how impressed he was with the team and their end of season/postseason performance. Georgia, Ole Miss, and others are involved.

BRAEDEN MOORE

Nashville SF Braeden Moore has absolutely blown up this year after a strong junior season, and is now up to over 30 offers. Pretty hard to say where he is with his in recruitment and it’s pretty unlikely that he’s close to a decision right now just because of the insane amount of interest he’s gotten in a short amount of time, but I’m hearing that Georgia Tech has some interest Moore, so he will be one to watch.

KALEB BANKS

This summer will be important for Fayette County F Kaleb Banks, who plans on trying to narrow down his list this summer according to Jamie Shaw. Georgia Tech, Georgia, Alabama, and Indiana are said to be recruiting Banks the hardest. Banks averaged 24 points and 8 boards throughout his junior season, and thrives defensively as well. Definitely one to keep a close eye on this summer.

NOAH CLOWNEY

Roebuck, South Carolina native Noah Clowney is one of the latest offer recipients, and is seeing his recruitment pick up in a pretty big way after some strong performances with Team Dickerson, an AAU team based in Georgia. Clemon, VT, App State, Providence, Xavier, and SC Upstate have offered as well.

Dan caught up with Clowney a couple weeks ago, here’s what he had to say about the Jackets.

“I watched them win the ACC Championship. I watched them play a good bit and checked their box scores. I could see myself being a little bit like Moses Wright there.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News