ADVERTISEMENT

What were the real expectations?

KP1255

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2017
Georgia
First of all, I bet a lot of y’all are fun at parties - based on some of your comments and posts 🙄

Let’s take a step back and gather a touch of prospective.

Key is taking over for one of the worst to hold the position of head coach at the FBS level. Collins was a pure and complete disaster and as much as been discussed on this site. His teams weren’t even competitive in a majority of games he coached. Before Collins, GT had a fairly successful coach in Paul Johnson that ran the triple option. I know a good many of you remember him because a good many of you wanted him gone for so many years.

GT athletics has been behind the 8 ball for decades due to bad ADs, bad coaching hires, and bad coaching contracts. This has led, in addition to a few other factors, to GT being cash strapped for essentially any year that starts with “20”.

This isn’t exactly the most talented team to ever take the field for the Jackets either. Let’s take off our subjective glasses and see that, while we really like a lot of these players, there isn’t a ton of talent on this roster, especially within the upper class. It’s about Jimmy’s and Joe’s more than it is about X’s and O’s. Which brings me to my next point….

Even some of the most elite coaches have made some head scratching decisions, especially early in their careers. Hello Kirby and his fake punt with Fields in the SEC championship game. Yes, Key has been less than stellar in some of his decision making thus far. But, we don’t know all the factors that have went into his decisions and it’s very easy to arm chair quarterback all of this.

Key may end up being another mistake hire in the long history of mistake hires in both college football and Georgia Tech athletics history. But, we need to pump the brakes on calling for his firing and in some cases, hoping for his demise. I think we owe him and the program more time before giving him the death penalty. Some of you were were pissed at the idea of Willie Fritz taking over, but now are pretending that he was your choice all along. That’s laughable.

We knew that, no matter who got the job, he would be in for a big challenge to turn this program around. And halfway through his first full season, many of you are already preparing to move on from CBK. Leaving me with my final question to ponder…

Who did you want and who do you want for the future? Who is a clear upgrade that GT could realistically get and afford? What would Tech’s record be if Fritz, Chadwell, Prike, etc. were the head coach? Heck, what would their record be if Nick Saban were the head coach?

KQ and Russ have laid out our deficiencies for several months now and even prior to the season. So it should be no much of a surprise that GT is hovering around .500, especially considering the lack of funding for GTAA and NIL. But, they have also stated that GT is getting interests from recruits that they haven’t gotten in several years. Let’s be patient and keep supporting the program and see what the future holds. What choice do we have?

I can’t wait to hear all of this hate!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News