ADVERTISEMENT

Week 2 in the ACC...and some other games of note

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Friday, 8:00 Fox Sports 1: Miami (1-0) at Florida Atlantic (0-1)
*This should be an easy win for the Canes as they travel 50 miles up I-95 to Boca Raton to take on an FAU team who lost at Tulsa in Week 1, 47-44. Miami has Nebraska on the horizon in Week 3 at home and needs to avoid looking past FAU. Miami is 17.5 pt favorites.

Saturday, 11:30am ESPN: South Florida (1-0) at Florida State (1-0)
*Both teams are coming off easy home wins over cupcakes. USF defeated Florida A&M 51-3. This game very well could be close in the 2nd half as the Bulls players should be pretty jacked up to play in Tallahassee. FSU has a Friday Week 3 affair in Boston on the horizon and needs to not only get a win as first priority, but also set their 2-deep for conference play. FSU is laying 28.5.

12:00 RSN: Houston (1-0) at Louisville (0-1) (RSN networks carrying game... http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-football-on-rsn-houston-at-louisville-09-12-2015)
*Watch out, Cards! This should be a good Cougars bunch heading into town. UofL has Clemson at home in Week 3 on the horizon on Thursday night. Coming off the tough loss to Auburn, this could be a classic sandwich game if the Cards get caught looking past at their schedule. Hopefully, this being the home opener and coming off a loss will have their team focused. UofH opened their season with a 52-24 win over Tennessee Tech. This game is the lead-in to the Jackets telecast against Tulane. UofL is laying 13.

12:30 ACC Network: Wake Forest (1-0) at Syracuse (1-0) (ACC Network affiliates... http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-football-on-the-acc-network-wake-forest-at-syracuse-09-12-2015)
*This is a pivotal game for each team considering most believe they will be battling one another for the basement of the ACC Atlantic division. Both teams opened with easy wins over D1AA CAA foes in Week 1. The Orange is favored by 4.5 pts.

12:30 ESPN-3: Appalachian State (1-0) at Clemson (1-0)
*ASU is one of only 2 teams in the crap Sun Belt who won their opener last week (49-0 over Howard). Week 2 should be a different story at Death Valley as the Tigers should roll as long as they don't look too far past to next week's Thursday ACC opener at Louisville. Swinney will hope to get a big early lead so he can rest his guys. Clemson is laying "only" 17.5 pts. I think they cover that with ease.

1:00 ESPN-3: Howard (0-1) at Boston College (1-0)
*BC destroyed Maine in their opener. They should beat another D1AA foe in Week 2. Hey Eagles, I realize you play Notre Dame this year at Fenway, but hosting not one but two D1AA foes in the first 2 weeks? Come on! (BC hosts Northern Illinois in Week 4)

3:30 ABC: Notre Dame (1-0) at Virginia (0-1)
*If Virginia could have executed better inside the red zone, they perhaps would have given UCLA a much better game this past week. ND was stellar against a terrible Tejas team. Scott Sisson Stadium is usually worth quite a bit to the French. I expect ND to win, but not nearly as easy as they did last week in their opener at home. Should be a good game heading into the 4th quarter. Tech of course faces both of these teams. Virginia is getting 13 pts.

3:30 RSN: Tulane (0-1) at Ga Tech (1-0) (RSN affiliates... http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-football-on-rsn-tulane-at-georgia-tech-09-12-2015)
*First time Tech will host the Green Wave since 1980. Tulane won that day, 31-14. I think Tech will win this year and by a significantly larger margin (Tech is a 28.5 pt favorite).

3:30 ESPN-3: Furman (0-1) at Va Tech (0-1)
*Furman lost by 3 to D1AA strong program, Coastal Carolina, in their opener. The Hokies of course has lost its starting QB, Brewer thru October most likely. Imagine the high of build up on Labor Day to coming back to take a halftime lead over Ohio State to a broken collar bone and being dominated in the 2nd half to now coming back on very short turnaround to face a Purple Paladins bunch at home. Hokies will win but it may be sloppy.

6:00 ESPN-3: Pittsburgh (1-0) at Akron (0-1)
*Akron lost at Oklahoma 41-3 in their opener. Pitt has to now replace ACC POTY and 1st round draft pick candidate, James Conner. These are the types of games Pitt has laid an egg in recent years. Hopefully Narduzzi gets them reeled in. Panthers are laying 13 on the road.

6:00 ESPN-3: North Carolina A&T (1-0) at North Carolina (0-1)
*NC A&T defeated Shaw 61-3 in their opener. UNC may beat them 61-3 Saturday night. Yawn!

6:00 ESPN-3: North Carolina Central (1-0) at Duke (1-0)
*NC Central defeated St. Augustine (I hope this isn't a high school) 72-0 in their opener. I looked forward to this game for one reason only and that is to see Duke's new configuration of Wallace Wade Stadium where I will be traveling to later this month. Final copy won't be completed until 2016, but here are some recent photos... http://interactives.wncn.com/photom...-stadium/dukes-revamped-wallace-wade-stadium/

6:00 ESPN-3: Eastern Kentucky (1-0) at NC State (1-0)
*EKU defeated Valparaiso 52-10 in their opener. The trifecta of cupcakes in the Research Triangle continues in Raleigh during Week 2.

Other games of note...

6:00 ESPN: Oklahoma (1-0) at Tennessee (1-0)
*This is a critical game for both programs. UT has returned to the top 25 for the first time in a while. Oklahoma carries the banner for the Big 12. Should be a great game. Vols getting 1 pt at home.

8:00 ABC: Oregon (1-0) at Michigan State (1-0)
*Two legit national title contenders bang heads. Can MSU's defense slow down the Ducks enough at home to get the victory? Sparty laying 3.5 at home.

9:15 ESPN: LSU (0-0) at Mississippi State (1-0)
*This is now LSU's opener as their first game was canceled due to weather. Every SEC West game pretty much guarantees to be a matchup of top 25 teams for a while. Should be fun to watch. Bulldogs getting 4.5 at home.

What a great lineup for week #2. We're going to the FSU game (what can I do, my outlaws are all FSU) but I'll be keeping an eye on the scoreboard for the GT updates. Let's hope we can emerge victorious and physically unscathed!

Good luck. With the FSU game likely going to end by 3pm, hopefully you can get some place to watch Tech (hopefully) light the Green Wave up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT