ADVERTISEMENT

Week 10 in the ACC (and a few others)...

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
All 14 ACC teams playing conference games this week.

12:00 (ESPN-2) #5 Louisville [7-1/5-1] at Boston College [4-4/1-4]
Louisville escaped Scott Sisson Stadium with a late game win, while BC upset the Pack on the road. UofL played with fire at a place that isn't easy to win. Not sure BC has enough offense to stay with the Cardinals, but BC does play good defense at times. The Cardinals lead the all-time series, 5-3, including both times since UofL joined the ACC. The Cardinals are laying 25 pts.

12:30 (ACC Network - Split) Georgia Tech [5-3/2-3] at #18 Cheaters [6-2/4-1]
A preview of this game has already been posted in another thread. Here's the link… https://georgiatech.forums.rivals.c...-meets-leather-game-9-preview-cheaters.14330/ The Cheaters are 10.5 pt favorites.

12:30 (ACC Network - Split) Pittsburgh [5-3/2-2] at Miami [4-4/1-3]
Pitt is coming off a bye week, while the Canes lost their 4th in a row...this time in the last minute at South Bend against a poor Irish team. These 2 programs have met 35 times with the Canes leading 24-10-1. Miami has won 17 of the last 19 going back to 1984. The Canes are laying 3.5 pts. Pretty sure you can expect Pitt to score in the 30's and to give up pts at least in the 30's.

3:00 (RSN) Virginia [2-6/1-3] at Wake Forest [5-3/2-2]
Virginia almost pulled the huge upset at SSS this past Saturday that would have made a lot of fans across the nation happy. But, to no avail. Meanwhile, the Deacs were being upset by the Fighting Monkens of the Hudson. Don't know what to make of either of these teams. The Cavaliers lead the series, 34-14. These 2 programs have only met twice since 2008 and the Deacs won them both. Virginia won 17 straight from 1984 to 2000. The Deacs are laying 3 pts.

3:30 (ESPN-U) #23 Virginia Tech [6-2/4-1] at Duke [3-5/0-4]
It is unclear to me why the Cheaters are ranked so far ahead of the Hokies when VPI&SU dominated them at Chapel Hell. They both have bad losses away from home - Cheaters to the Cesspool and Hokies to Cuse. The Hokies can put a major nail in their Coastal title dreams with a win at Duke. The Hokies lead the series, 14-9, though the Jersey Girls have won 2 of the last 3. Oddly, the road team in this series has won 3 straight and they were all very very close. Final margins of victory in those 3 games have been 3, 1 and 2. The road team will be favored again this year. The Hokies are laying 11 at Rutgers-Durham.

3:30 (ABC) Syracuse [4-4/2-2] at #3 Clemson [8-0/5-0]
The Tigers have defeated both Louisville and FSU. Their season-opening win at Auburn is looking better and better every week that Guz Malzahn's bunch is doing well nowadays. Syracuse is dangerous. Clemson has shown signs of playing to the level of its competition (see Troy, NC State, 2nd half vs GT). Clemson is 3-1 in the all-time series and 3-0 over the Orange since the Upstaters joined the ACC. Tigers are 26 pt favorites. But, watch out, Kitty Cats!!

7:00 (ESPN-U) #19 Florida State [5-3/2-3] at NC State [4-4/1-3]
FSU remains ranked (and ahead of Va Tech for some reason). I think the Pack lost its entire season when they choked at Clemson. Sometimes you let a loss like that lose the next game for you. Perhaps theirs will be more. The Noles lead the all-time series, 25-11, and have won 3 straight. FSU is laying a TD at Raleigh, where they seem to always play close in this series.

And a few others…

11:30am (CBS) Navy [5-2/4-1] vs Notre Dame [3-5] at Jacksonville
Early start in Jacksonville (as part of a CBS triple-header) sees the Mids gunning for a big MEG representation from the Group of 5 as they sit atop the AAC. Navy is coming off a game where they gave up 50+, but scored almost 50 at South Florida. Notre Dame doesn't play much defense, but they can score. Another high-scoring game on the horizon? It would seem so. The Irish lead this series, 76-12-1. Notre Dame won every game annually between 1964 and 2006. Navy broke the streak in Admiral Johnson’s last year at Annapolis. Coach Niumatalolo then went on to win again in ’09 and ’10. Since then though, the Irish have reeled off 5 straight. Notre Dame is laying 5.5 pts.

8:00 (CBS) #1 Alabama [8-0/5-0] at #15 LSU [5-2/3-1]
Both teams were off last weekend. LSU cranks up a November that sees them host Bama, travel to Arkansas, host Florida, and then finish at Texas A&M. Good luck with that. This is the last road game for Alabama before they host Miss State, Chattanooga and then the Iron Bowl. Bama leads the series, 50-25-5. The Tide has won 5 straight. Bama is laying a TD.

8:00 (ABC) #9 Nebraska [7-1/4-1] at #6 Ohio State [7-1/4-1]
Nebraska lost its first game at Wisconsin this past weekend, while OSU was tied with Northwestern heading into the 4Q before scoring to take a 7-pt lead and then holding off the Wildcats for a 24-20 victory (in Columbus). A bit surprising that these 2 have only met 4 times with the Buckeyes leading 3-1. They’ve met twice since the Huskers joined the Big 14 with Nebraska winning in ’11 and OSU winning the year after. The other 2 meetings were in ’55 and ’56. The Buckeyes are laying 13.5 at home.

WOW!!! Just released... Tennessee RB Jalen Hurd has advised his team that he is transferring out of the program. Won't have to deal with him at United FC Stadium next Labor Day weekend.

Major dysfunctional-ity going on (yet again) in Knoxville these days. If Alvin Kamara heads to the NFL early as most expect he will, that means the Vols will be replacing their QB (Dobbs) and top 2 RB's to open the season next year against the Good Guys.

Yep. As you know, I've been preaching for a while that the Vols play to the level of their competition routinely. It came back to bite them this past Saturday night at Columbia, essentially pissing away any chances to win the SEC-E and play in the SECCG.

I wonder how hot Butch Jones' seat is right now. I imagine he is getting a ton of heat in K Town. It is conceivable UT could have a different HC roaming the sidelines against us, though I'd put that probability right now of less than 20%. Subject to change of course. If they play the rest of November - and knowing they play to the level of their competition, it is entirely possible - like they did this past Saturday night, that probability may grow as the season progresses.

Losing Hurd - especially at this time of the season - does not help Jones I wouldn't think.

WOW!!! Just released... Tennessee RB Jalen Hurd has advised his team that he is transferring out of the program. Won't have to deal with him at United FC Stadium next Labor Day weekend.

Major dysfunctional-ity going on (yet again) in Knoxville these days. If Alvin Kamara heads to the NFL early as most expect he will, that means the Vols will be replacing their QB (Dobbs) and top 2 RB's to open the season next year against the Good Guys.
Question , are we the good guys or any one that beats uga ?

We are the Good Guys every day. The other version of Good Guys varies and is temporary for just a few hours.

I wonder if Les Miles would consider a coaching job at Tennessee?

I think he would. But, he turns 63 in 10 days. Tennessee royally F'd up when they fired Fulmer plain and simple. Another case of spoiled fans who "got tired" of "only" winning 9 or 10 games a year. Just an incredibly dumb decision that the Big Orange Nation is paying for almost a decade later.

I think he would. But, he turns 63 in 10 days. Tennessee royally F'd up when they fired Fulmer plain and simple. Another case of spoiled fans who "got tired" of "only" winning 9 or 10 games a year. Just an incredibly dumb decision that the Big Orange Nation is paying for almost a decade later.
How true, but I remember his players constantly getting into trouble and that was the part that finally put a lot of them against him.

Maybe uGA fans face the same future.

I know some Alabama fans who are surprised at how much better their defense is this year. They thought they would take a step back losing Smart. But it appears they are better defensively this year.

Tennessee's players STILL get into plenty of trouble. The systemic issues about the culture there are not unique to or responsible of/by Fulmer. The problem is bigger than him and was there before him and after him. Now, should he have made it better? Perhaps. When you coach at a win-at-all-costs SEC factory, then that's a risky proposition to take. Not excusing him at all. Just saying, if you are going to sell your soul as they have and will continue to do, then at least do better than they have since they fired him. One year with Kiffin? Dumb. Derek Dooley? What a failure. Butch Jones? Jury is out, but it ain't looking good now. Beating Florida was good. Beating the Cesspool the week after? Nice. Losing at A&M in double OT? OK. Losing at home to Bama badly? Hmmm...not expecting a win, but not expecting to look that terrible at home. Losing at a crappy South Carolina? Unacceptable.

Kentucky and Vandy have beaten the Vols a couple times I'd guess in the last 40 years. If Jones loses to one of them in November, his days are numbered. Life at a factory. Deal with it. He has recruited well. No reason for a bunch of 4- and 5-stars playing this poorly. Has to be coaching. Their offense is atrocious.

when you win, a fan base will absorb a lot of off field issues for sure. Start losing and then those issues become reasons to make a change. We'll see what happens.

I see too many mental mistakes that is a coaching issue IMO.

Agree. What happens at a lot of these factories is they act/react based on the moment in time - often with big money donors yelling in the ears of the key decision makers (President, AD, Board, etc.). Sometimes they have no comparable or preferably better candidate waiting in the wings to replace the guy they are canning. Ego comes into play because these donors and even the key decision makers (often the same set of people) are so blinded by their love of their institution/program that they think every top notch coach in the nation will be knocking down the doors to coach there.

Then, a Tennessee, for instance, has to learn the hard way that they have to settle for their 8th or 9th choice (if even that high) in a Derek Dooley. Moral of the story is, a firing can and often does set a program back many years. Have to get it right. Even better, know who is on the list and the probability of getting him before firing anybody. This is why having people outside of that set of power brokers provide their 2 cents is important. They are realistic and not blinded by love for the school and all that stuff. That doesn't mean an alum can't be a solid AD or leader in the process. That insight can be good too. But, it can also lead to problems if you don't have a diverse enough set of views - especially if the realistic view isn't input.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT