ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 College FB ATS picks

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Admittedly, I normally do better with the NFL, but here goes the first week's installment of 5 CFB ATS plays I like...

North Carolina +2 over South Carolina
UNC returns 10 starters and an established stud at QB. I think they outscore the Gamecocks and win outright.

Tulane +9 over Duke
I don't like a team laying near double digits on the road in a season opener when they have to replace as much as the Dukies do. Duke might win outright, though a Tulane upset will not shock me at all. Close game that goes down to the wire.

Virginia +17 over UCLA
I believe this is going to be a far better game than the wise guys do. Virginia went 5-7 last year, but truly was only ripped in 1 game all season (35-10 on Grant Field). Give me those points.

Notre Dame -9.5 over Tejas
I think Charlie Strong is at least another year away from making a game like this competitive in the 4th quarter. I like the far more talented Irish in a rare night home game to start the season.

Ohio State-Virginia Tech under 53.5
Hokies play good D, but so will OSU. Not impressed by Hokies QB Brewer, but I think VPI&SU's defense should be very good and keep this close and low-scoring. I am tempted to go with the Hokies getting 11 points, but I can also see the Bucks winning something like 24-7 or get a late TD to cover 11 so I'll steer away from the point spread.

Good luck to all! Thank Buddha football season is back. WOOHOO!!

I think VPI&SU at +355 on the moneyline is decent value. A low scoring game that could be determined by a key turnover or special teams play gives the Hokies a puncher's chance to pull off the upset.

Saw on the local news here in Austin that Charlie Strong is starting 6 true freshman against ND. Good luck with that. Strong will have them back in short order but hard to imagine much from the Longhorns this season.

Old Dominion -6 @ Eastern Michigan - ODU should be a better than .500 team. EMU is not good.

Temple +6.5 vs. Penn State - While it will seem like a PSU home game, it isn't. Temple should keep this close with a good front 7 on defense.

BYU +7 @ Nebraska - Taysom Hill, a grizzled 30 yr old
wink.gif
, won't be fazed by the big crowd.

Notre Dame -9.5 vs. Texas - I'm really down on UT this year. Bad QB and lots of freshmen starting is a bad combination.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT