ADVERTISEMENT

WAR ROOM Post-NSD Edition: Staff and more

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
So everyone wants to know who will be on Geoff Collins staff and that should get clearer over the coming days.

First off I'd like to share something interesting I heard today. Apparently Ted Roof is a legit candidate to become the next DC at App State, he is tight with the former NC State OC Drink who got the head coaching job there. If Roof goes to App State then Andy McCollum may replace him at NC State. Kirby Smart has also reached out to CAM as he has an opening as well....

According to multiple sources CGC is hiring UGA Quality Control (Defense) coach Travares Tillman for an unspecified role at GT. Tillman is a GT letterman and has seven years of NFL experience.

I've been told Tashard Choice is still taking over the RB coach duties at GT. CGC was looking to possibly make a change there had he stayed at Temple anyway.

People have asked about CAM and what is up there. There is one scenario where he could stay and it involves Temple DL coach Jim Panagos who Manny Diaz is trying to keep at Temple, if he stays then CAM could get that spot on the new staff. Andrew Thacker is expected to be the OLB coach, Nate Burton the DB coach along with Collins himself and the ILB spot is up in the air. I've heard Daryl Smith's name thrown around for that job as well as some others like Tillman.

On the offensive side, it is still up in the air what all happens. Ed Foley the TE and special teams coach is expected to stay at Temple, he has survived like four coaching changes there. Stan Hixon is expected to come down to GT, the actual OC spots and WR and QB or TE depending on the OC could vary.

Off the field staff wise

Also in the mix for unspecified roles are former recruiting analyst Saeed Khalif who is the director of player personnel at Wisconsin, former GT QB and recruiting assistant Joe Hamilton. Cody Moore (defense) and Tevin Washington (offense) are staying on with the recruiting office staff and probably Sarah Woodruff as well. Kevin Cone is staying on staff in Football Ops in some capacity as well.

Former Jacket Joe Burns is pretty tight with CGC and has been around A LOT lately as well and that should help with some of the underclassmen and getting them on campus given his job.

CRUITIN'

Geoff Collins is making a full out play for former UGA QB Justin Fields, I think he doesn't end up at GT, I'm thinking Ohio State is the early leader, but he there may be a bidding war. Former 5-star DT Aubrey Solomon is also someone he is trying to get, but UGA is pretty much a slam dunk right now, they were a runner-up last time. He kind of wanted to go there.

UConn grad transfer TE Tyler Davis should announce for Georgia Tech as early as tomorrow per my sources. That would be a huge addition and put GT on the number pretty much at 18.

CGC will keep going, he is trying to get Jamious Griffin and his brother could try to transfer and get a waiver to join him at GT from VaTech so all three brothers would be together. I know that is something the family is pushing and GT should have space should that happen, but CGC can't do anything on that front until LB Jaylen Griffin is in the portal and that is up to the family.

Both OL commits Joshua Black and Larry Dowdy are set for January visits which may or may not happen. Dowdy wasn't able to visit because of the Shrine Bowl and Black has burned his OV, but both would like to see the staff and the scheme from what I'm hearing before signing any papers. GT also needs OTs and both of the probably project inside in the new scheme.

Going forward CGC is looking for help at LB and offensive tackle, that will be the focus. The German based DL Joseph Darkwa will visit in January as well, he doesn't graduate until July so that is extra complicated, but CGC is still working on him. He will not sign anywhere this go-around.

On the LB front there are 25 unsigned 3-star or higher LBs as of this moment and 24 three-star or better offensive tackles... keep that in mind

THE WAR ROOM MATERIAL STAYS HERE, DON'T @ WITH STUPID STUFF ON TWITTER THAT GIVES AWAY INFO. DO NOT POST ON OTHER SITES OR FORUMS, THAT VIOLATES YOUR TERMS OF SERVICE AND COULD HAVE LEGAL RAMIFICATIONS!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News