ADVERTISEMENT

Tech continues to piss excellence

love for some of these students to take a look at the GTAA business model and suggest some improvement ideas to the President.

I wish more student-athletes (particularly football and basketball players) would pay attention to quotes like this good one from Redskins GM, Scot McCloughlin...

While it isn’t necessarily a guarantee that Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan will always lean towards seniors in the draft, he says he prefers players who stayed in school.

“It’s very important,” McCloughan said after his first draft with the team. “I learned this when I was young – I was with Mike Holmgren and he says, ‘Go back and do me a study. Look at the quarterbacks that made a commitment to a university and graduated and their success in the league, and do the underclassmen who did not fulfill their commitment to the university.’ And at first I kind of thought, ‘Well, what’s it really matter?’ And he told me, he says, ‘I want guys – they tell you something, they finish it.’ And that’s very important. I’m not saying there hasn’t been underclassmen who didn’t get their degree who aren’t really food football players, and there always will be, but I think when it comes down to getting close to it, I’ll take the guy that committed to something and finished it.”

Link: http://www.redskins.com/news-and-ev...-Invites/955d60a1-ecc3-4581-a39c-46a5e8515211

His comments are worth considering...

I think a lot of football players want to avoid conversations with Redskins, it seems their front office is not helping them at all.

Maybe so.

I am sure some Redskin fans would rather they take the best athletes as long as they are not trouble makers and go from there. The NFL is cut throat business, long term relationships are hard to develop with players and coaches.

I don't necessarily disagree with his sentiment, but I'd say some of these college players know they will be in the NFL. If they tell the coach that they are going to work as hard as they can for the school until the NFL calls, they would still be following through on that commitment. It is hard to know for sure what all these players tell their college coaches. I guess if an NFL GM asks specifically, the coach would probably be honest about it.

I think based on his last sentence, he would.

Calvin would not have been "close". He was far and above. Using "close" as SM's words that is.

Back to OP topic, I sometimes think if our Business College had changed its name from College of Management 30 years ago and changed M.S.I.M. or M.S.M. to MBA we would've acquired more respect internationally. A subtle change, but one which no longer creates confusion.

Though this is about the grad school, this is the same college rivals like to point to as our easy way out and some Tech alums even like to joke about and label in a derogatory way. Great to see the recognition.

This article states we are excellent at spending(doesn't factor in our endowment fund to cover):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...384dd4-a558-11e5-9c4e-be37f66848bb_story.html

At Georgia Tech, an athletic department that depends on mandatory student fees to help pay its bills has amassed $229 million in debt, records show.

In 2014, Georgia Tech athletics collected about $5.1 million from students, which covered about 7 percent of the department’s spending. Spread proportionally across the entire athletics budget, that means students covered about $980,000 of Georgia Tech’s $13.3 million annual debt payments on sports facilities including an indoor football practice field, upgrades to the basketball arena, a basketball practice facility and a softball field.

GeorgiaTech
This weekend we admitted 4,424 out of a record 14,861 applicants. Average ACT score: 33. 48% are female, another record.

When Wayne Hogan filled in between tha last AD permanent hire(Drad and Bobster), he was intent about following up on my suggestion to reach out to the Retirement Homes, Church Groups in the metro area. Had me write it up, passed it over to Aspire, followed up on it until he left. Also, instrumental to changes on game day operations with Jeff. Very personable, studious individual with detail. Wasn't about taking a payday for doing nothing. Old school. Deserving of this honor:
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...-wayne-hogan-named-fla-hall-of-fame-director/

Another GT Millionaire:
Center fielder Charlie Blackmon and the Rockies have avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year deal worth $3.5MM, reports Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter). The Rockies had filed for a $2.7MM salary figure against Blackmon’s number of $3.9MM. That placed the midpoint at $3.3MM, which Blackmon cleared by $200K. The 29-year-old Blackmon is coming off a season in which he slashed .287/.347/.450 with 17 home runs and 43 stolen bases in 157 games/682 plate appearances. That served as a strong followup to a breakout 2014 campaign and cemented Blackmon as fixture in the Colorado outfield (though his name has come up in trade speculation this winter).

Thanks for posting that, mate. Glad Charlie is with a team who appears to be willing to invest and win.

Tech continues to piss excellence, but note that we clean any excessive bowl target misses apparently...

http://facilityexecutive.com/2016/02/georgia-tech-cleaning-program-earns-green-seal-of-approval/

“As the first university in Georgia, and the first in the southern U.S. to receive GS-42 certification, Georgia Tech’s Green Cleaning Program will be seen as a leader and model for other schools in the region,” said Dr. Arthur Weissman, President & CEO of Green Seal.

You tailhooking slobs...clean up after yourselves. :D

Reactions: Buzzforlife
The North Avenue Trade School is ranked as the best university (hey, we're an Institute, but we know what ya mean) in the state?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local-...georgia-tech-best-public-university-in/nqNB2/

Well, that deserves a big...

well-duh-1_zps73922d1f.gif

I found this exchange of thoughts and emails interesting... http://getschooled.blog.myajc.com/2...-georgia-students-than-university-of-georgia/

Perhaps, if Georgians want more Georgia kids admitted to Tech, then they will contact their respective local politician criminals to support and drive expansion of Tech - adding a medical school, adding a law school, adding other programs along with the facilities and faculty of course which fit the technical mission of the Institute - which would also include larger student population and more kids admitted. Instead, I have resigned myself to all that matters in the state of Georgia unfortunately is a similar view to the current ridiculous Donald Trump lowest common denominator phenomenon which has been going on in Georgia since as long as I can remember as a kid. That is, people give more of a damn about their college football team than what the universities/institutes were established for as their mission in the first place.

But, perhaps that's just me. Pretty sad if you ask me.

This diatribe brought to you by a non-Ga. Tech graduate.

Over the many years I have hardly ever witnessed Tech not taking the high road(even with Pepper "the prick" Rogers, they mended the fence), although we all get in the water with sharks once in a great while without knowing them at first.

My gripe is based on people trying to criticize the new basketball coach, calling him a -1 in recruiting for 2016. The "Mello Camp" waited for his grades this week before deciding to ask for a LOI release. The Basketball people handled it immediately before even getting back in to Atlanta, while away at the meetings. The delay was not from the staff or a lack of CJP not trying in getting to know the family. Facts are facts. If it is true Tennessee backed off him over a year ago, CBG reached to grab a local talent taking a risk on the core curriculum, why is this Coach faulted when he needs bodies? Ramblin Red is telling me Buzz Williams told Adam Smith that he wouldn't have a schollie for him a little over a year ago now, to bring in his own recruits. Personally I've questioned his source at VPI, because it's hard to conceive with 13 grants Adam couldn't help the roster or Jalen Hudson for next season(transferred to Florida as a GTrf.).

Count me as a shocked person if our new coach is not honoring promises made by this fine institute. Will be surprised if he is not encouraging Corey to stay on as a Grad. Student for a contribution in 2016-17. Don't think he is telling Jorgy not to show up for practice or drop off the map. These were previous issues, prior to April. CJP had no staff in place and was working tirelessly with A.D., who the prior staff really reached for thinking the A C C wouldn't swallow this thin S.A. all up. The man will honor his word, graduate "our" players, treat them with dignity and give his all to make us competitive in "if not the toughest league, right up there at the top" of them all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT