ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse.com: ACC feeling pressure to start up TV network

Sorry for any math here, but tomorrow's vote of 9+1 or 8+2 goes down. I've already stated my preference (9+1), but for this reply will view it objectively without my own hope involved.

The last time this was voted on it was 8-6 in favor of NOT moving to 9 conference games. The votes were...

Sticking with 8: Va Tech, Pitt, Louisville, Duke, Clemson, Ga Tech, FSU, Miami

Wanting to move to 9: Cheaters, NC State, Wake, Cuse, Virginia, BC

Will any of the 8 change their vote? Majority wins here. ESPN will be looking very closely and there could be financial incentives involved this time around. I don't know that to be the case. Let's take a look...

-Highly doubtful 4 programs with in-state SEC rivals change their vote as their position remains they don't want to have to play 9 ACC games + 1 in-state SEC rival and Notre Dame once every 3 years...that leaves 2 of the other 4 needing to change their vote

-I think of the other 4, the Hokies and Pitt are less likely to change their vote...they'd be OK with 8+2 model...Hokies have a running OOC series with ECU that may go away if the requirement is now 2 P5's (assuming ECU stays just outside the P5...of course, the ACC bends the definition of what is P5 to suit its own needs to the point it is laughable)...Hokies have a bunch of games already scheduled out in the future with Big 10 teams...Pitt is getting back involved starting this season (thank goodness) with Penn State (one of my childhood favorite series to watch)...and, they both could strike back up series with WVU if needed - assuming WVU is interested (WVU already plays Maryland annually + 9 Big 12 games + playing some one-off neutral site games)

-If true, that leaves the "swing" votes to Duke and Miami. I'd think Duke may be more willing to change their vote, but if they do, it would only create a 7-7 tie assuming the other 6 stick to their 9+1 desire. Would the Canes move to a 9-game schedule? I don't see any compelling reason why they would or wouldn't.

Again, the factor dangling out there that is unknown to possibly just the higher-ups at this time is if some kind of monetary incentive exists from ESPN as part of their inventory desires and rolling out the new ACC Network in '19. And if there is, just how much is it.

Other legit concerns exist that with 3 of the other P5 conferences already at 9 conference games, scheduling 2 P5 games in the 8+2 model will be increasingly difficult moving forward while the 9+1 model eases that concern significantly.

Moving to a 9+1 model obviously helps in the frequency of ACC matchups as Teel has outlined well. The 4 with in-state SEC rivals will face very tough schedules guaranteed once every 3 years on average when ND is on the schedule in a 9+1 model. Or, will they? The assumption is they will. But, is adding Wake or BC or whoever as another 9th ACC game a daunting add to the schedule as opposed to possibly having to face a strong P5 team in the 8+2?

We'll see...I'm interested to see how Duke and Miami, in particular, vote tomorrow. Could be the difference.

what if they dropped a game or two against ND every year? That would push the frequency to longer and would add pressure for them to join.

ACC AD's decide to table vote for decision on 9+1 vs 8+2 vs whatever until Fall meetings.

I NEED THE POTTY

Larry Fedora, Head Football Cheater, favors 8+2 model. This would be different than the Cheaters' original stance via Head Athletic Cheating Director, Bubba Cunningham, who originally voted for the move to 9 games. Having said that, Fedora does acknowledge the challenges of scheduling OOC that may arise with other P5 conferences already at (Pac 12, Big 12) or moving to 9 games (Big 10).

http://www.morganton.com/sports/fed...cle_50562f3c-631b-11e6-81b1-6feca6c6f2ec.html

Fedora said that decision is above his pay grade, but he’d certainly make his feelings known to UNC athletics director Bubba Cunningham.

“Would I have wanted to? No, but whether I would have been able to decide that, that goes above my head," Fedora said. "Bubba makes those decisions, I get to have my input, the final decision is him. I wouldn’t have wanted to do that, and that’s one of the luxuries of being eight-and-two, I think, is you can go out and find great matchups and do those things.”

Fedora did acknowledge that finding two Power Five opponents each season could be a logistical issue, once more conferences jump on board.

“The question with that will be whether, if you go eight-and-two, is there going to be enough inventory out there for everybody to go eight-and-two?” Fedora asked. “That’s the tough thing.”

I think the Cheaters will be OK with scheduling ACC foes as non-ACC games occasionally like they are doing with Wake in the near future...perhaps, as a last resort...perhaps, preferred in some cases (like scheduling Wake).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT