ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse.com: ACC feeling pressure to start up TV network

Which wife?

Drad acts like they have an offer or had one from ESPN for a network. Is that despite the Disney cuts? Always heard it takes money to make it in television. Feedback?

Where is that Fox Jacket when you need him?

Classic. Compare this past year's SEC figure to the prior year's ACC figure (which is low for Syracuse for some reason), while quoting a projected Big Ten figure.

ESPN will launch a network when it makes sense to do so from a sales standpoint. They had success with the SECN because they were able to package it with renewals of other established networks.

Compared to PAC I have heard that the ACC actually has more/better local assets at its universities to do local programing and production work. I have no idea if that's true or not.

Some interesting stuff in this Big 12 related conference TV network article... http://espn.go.com/college-football...-many-hurdles-big-12-tv-network-savior-league

I found this particularly interesting...

Customers moving away from subscription are part of that environment.

"I feel that the Big 12 network is an uphill battle," the insider said. "Nobody in the industry wants to spend money right now in the satellite or cable distribution world. Nobody wants to dance in this climate. That is the biggest issue with a [Big 12] network."

hope they mandate cameras on the endzone lines. replay can be useless without those angles.

+1

I also think the technology should exist to get overhead angles at the goal line. For that matter, the technology should exist to get a chip on the ball with sensors to know whether the ball broke the plane. When a QB sneaks the ball into a scrum with 18+ very large men all over one another and sideline judges are running up to determine with an incredibly blocked view, I don't see how they can truly know whether the QB got across (unless the pile moves backward or a hole is created to where it is obvious).

edit note: case in point, in 2014 at Fred Sanford Stadium, if the refs had the guts to call the play dead or even better had better technology at hand, we may have JT5 scoring a crucial TD instead of the Scumbags running back a bogus 99 yard TD return

Syracuse today hired former Exec. VP of ESPN (and Cuse alum) as new AD.

That ought to be very interesting for the rest of the ACC to have a guy who has the inside knowledge of ESPN, their thoughts on marketing college athletics in general, insights into other conferences, potential ACC Channel, etc., to share with the rest of the ACC as appropriate...though, very possible there is already plenty of transparency that the ACC's leaders and AD's are aware as-is.

More...

John OurandVerified account‏@Ourand_SBJ
Source: ESPN to launch a digital-only, "ACC Network Plus" in Aug 2016 and a linear "ACC Network" in Aug 2019. Full story in SBD tomorrow.

If this is like the SEC's deal, ACC Network Plus is just a fancy way of saying ESPN-3 for the ACC. It may mean more events are guaranteed of making ESPN-3/ACC Network + as minimum.

More...

John OurandVerified account‏@Ourand_SBJ
Source: ESPN to launch a digital-only, "ACC Network Plus" in Aug 2016 and a linear "ACC Network" in Aug 2019. Full story in SBD tomorrow.

If this is like the SEC's deal, ACC Network Plus is just a fancy way of saying ESPN-3 for the ACC. It may mean more events are guaranteed of making ESPN-3/ACC Network + as minimum.
Will this help us win more games?

Just like shiny, new buildings on Tech's campus which are half-filled, I think it was that NRA Party scumbag (redundant I know) Sarah Palin who increased the usage of the phrase "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig".

Truthfully, I think the pig population and their farmers (think NC State) should be offended that a scumbag like that used them for reference purposes in such a way. But, I digress.

I do know I am completely stoked about the thought of getting to see Syracuse face Wake Forest in field hockey on ACC Network Plus or even better on a live ACC Network channel in about 3 or 4 years. Woohoo!!!

Considering your wordy letters to our football head coach and teams, I imagine you read all of this and figured out the answer to your question. But, in case you need translation, here's the one word answer...

....NO!

;)

Mark Bradley says the ACC is walking tall... http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/once-seen-as-rickety-the-acc-is-walking-tall/nr2tp/

walkingtall1a.jpg

We had already heard about the 20 game schedule before. It'll help balance them a little better.

This looks like a fine arrangement. Not we wait to see how the distributors react to the channel. I am looking forward to the added online content.

I wonder if part of this deal with ESPN means the ACC will finally invite Boston College into the conference?

Reactions: Buzzforlife
More scuttlebutt on the ACC potentially moving to a 9-game conference FB schedule (in addition to the now-already-announced 20 game hoops schedule)... http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/acc-network-could-bring-ninth-league-game-for-foot/nr3RZ/

A nine-game conference schedule for football was part of the negotiation, Bobinski said.

“There’s a desire for us to continue to discuss it, and we’ll do that, but it wasn’t anything that required us to do so,” he said.

More from Teel...this time, about the behind-the-scenes workings of John Swofford to get the ESPN Network deal done... http://www.dailypress.com/sports/virginia-tech/dp-spt-teel-column-acc-folo-20160723-column.html

The meeting began at 7 a.m., long before most reporters stir. But Swofford took no chances. He had the recognizable Skipper enter the conference room through a service door.

About two-and-a-half hours later, Skipper exited through the same service door and left the property undetected.

"That was the first time Skipper had sat down in front of the athletic directors and said, 'Hey, we're going to do this,'" Jordan said.

Long Swofford's ambition, the ACC Network was about to become reality.

Teel on Friday's vote for the ACC to move to either 1) 9-game conference scheduling + 1 P5 OOC game or 2) 8-games + 2 P5 OOC games... http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-nine-vote-post.html

I believe Tech will be OK on either. I assume Daniels will represent Tech now with our vote.

Regardless of which way is chosen (assuming there is no deadlock/delay), it will be good to decide and get going with it as there are a lot of holes open across the ACC for future OOC scheduling and some of it is awaiting this decision. Those holes for Tech's future scheduling have already been discussed here in a separate thread in detail.

Teel on Friday's vote for the ACC to move to either 1) 9-game conference scheduling + 1 P5 OOC game or 2) 8-games + 2 P5 OOC games... http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-nine-vote-post.html

I believe Tech will be OK on either. I assume Daniels will represent Tech now with our vote.

Regardless of which way is chosen (assuming there is no deadlock/delay), it will be good to decide and get going with it as there are a lot of holes open across the ACC for future OOC scheduling and some of it is awaiting this decision. Those holes for Tech's future scheduling have already been discussed here in a separate thread in detail.
I like the 8-2 better the reason , I don't have one I just like it better. ( that reasoning works for my wife so I thought I would use it )

But, you *do* agree I hope that Roof needs to deploy a 9-4-7 defensive scheme this season, yes?

Maybe 7-7-11 on passing downs perhaps?

This is bordering on math now so I'll stop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT