ADVERTISEMENT

Summer Olympics Thread (both GT and non-GT related)

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Thought I'd go ahead and start up a thread to follow and build on for the next 3+ weeks. The Opening Ceremonies begin live on NBC this Friday night, August 5, at 7:30pmET.

Team USA should once again dominate most all events. I look forward to Men's and Women's Volleyball, Women's Beach Volleyball (maybe the best viewing sport there is...and in Brazil? yowzaaaaaa!), US Women's National Soccer Team (who actually starts with first match on Wednesday at 6pmET vs New Zealand)...and, of course, Men's and Women's Hoops - though they should blow everybody's doors off.

I also like the Track events once they start up. SWMBO can stick with the gymnastics. I'll go to another TV in the double wide to check something else out.

20 years ago Atlanta was in the middle of hosting fever. Here's hoping for a fun August and praying no terrorism acts occur.

Last edited:
Rio is barely prepared. Exactly what I expected to happen when they were announced years ago. I wonder how broke they will be after the events?

But as for the games themselves and the athletes. I expect the US to perform very well in many events. Should be a fun few weeks just before football gets going.

BTW, there are some local HS scrimmage games this Friday. 8/5

Michael Phelps has been chosen to carry the U.S. flag at the Opening Ceremonies Friday evening.

#1 ranked U.S. Women's Soccer gets off to a good start tonight with a 2-0 win over New Zealand. Next up is a top 10 France team on Saturday at 4pmET (NBC Sports Network).

Last team to defeat the USWNT was France...20 matches ago.

Weekend view for Jackets in Rio...

Friday: Opening Ceremonies live on NBC...the ceremonies actually begin at 7pmET, but NBC will come on the air at 7:30pmET providing a small delay in their production so they can edit out some of the content...Tech's Andrew Chetcuti (Swimming) will be the flag bearer for the small nation of Malta...looking forward to seeing that

*********************************************************************************

Saturday: Men's Swimmer Gal Nevo (Israel) in the 400 Individual Medley heats at 12:08pmET (NBC)...if he qualifies, the finals are scheduled for Saturday evening at 9:03pmET (NBC)

Saturday: Women's Swimmer Keren Siebner and her Israeli relay teammates compete in the 4x100 heats at 2:32pmET (NBC)...if they qualify, the finals are scheduled for 10:24pmET (NBC)

*********************************************************************************

Sunday: Alade Aminu and his Nigerian team faces Argentina in Men's Hoops at 9:30pmET (NBC Olympics Basketball Channel) in the opener of group (B) play

*note: all events are streamed online live and for free at http://www.nbcolympics.com/video

Last edited:
Nevo finished 6th in his heat in the 400 IM today. He's will not advance to tonight's final.

He still has 2 other events to participate in at Rio... 200 Butterfly on Monday and 200 IM on Wednesday.

Siebner and her Israeli relay team finished last in their heat so her time in Rio is over as far as competing goes, but something she can always tell her family and friends about for the rest of her life.

Nice.

Alade Aminu started in last night's Nigerian loss to Argentina, 94-66. Aminu played 13 minutes, scoring 2 pts and grabbing no boards.

On Monday, Gal Nevo (Israel) returns to the pool for the 200m butterfly heat at 12:34pmET on NBC. If he qualifies to advance, the semifinals are tonight at 10:10pmET.

USA WBB faces medal-contender, Spain, today at 11amET. Team USA likely won't win by 50+ today. Maybe 30 or 40, but not 50+. ;)

(unless Spain pisses off our players or Geno which then would be 60+)

I have noticed in almost every event I've watched the last 2 days that the (local Brazilian) fans are rooting against Americans, which makes sense because we normally are the favorites.

Gal Nevo (Israel) finished 3rd in his heat at the 200m butterfly today, but it wasn't good enough to get into the semifinals tonight. Bummer.

Tuesday has 2 Jackets in action...

-Andrew Chetcuti (Malta) will swim in the 100m freestyle heat around noon.

-Alade Aminu (Nigeria) will face Lithuania in men's hoops at 6pmET.

Continued good luck and best wishes to our Jackets in Rio.

Chetcuti finished with the 51st fastest times in this afternoon's 100 freestyle heat. He will not advance to the semifinals.

Aminu tonight in hoops.

On Wednesday, Gal Nevo (Israel) takes one more shot in the 200m IM heat at 1:19pmET on NBC.

That was a fun match to watch, though Italy went on to win 3-1. Very close the entire way. Neither team built more than a 2 pt lead hardly the entire time.

#1 ranked USA Women's Soccer team will get a 2-2 tie with Colombia on an incredible Colombian set play strike directly into the goal at the 90th minute in pool play. Still, the USWNT won the group. Should find out later tonight who their opponent will be in the elimination/quarterfinal round on Friday at noon eastern.

Alade Aminu and his Nigerian team lost again today. This time to Lithuania, 89-80. Aminu had a much better game today. Once again starting, he logged 21:44 time on the court and scored 12 pts on 5 of 7 shooting from the field along with 2 of 2 from the line. He pulled down 2 boards as well.

The drama in the pool last night with Phelps was terrific. This Olympics has been a very nice get away from the daily grind of the political machine as well as getting me/us through a tough time of summer. Though, August beats the ever living crap out of July. Preseason NFL starts tomorrow night. Meaningless exhibition games never are so welcome. ;)

Big Women's VB match today at 2pmET. USA faces Serbia...the only 2 undefeated teams so far in Group B. Should be fun to watch. Watching the Volleybees smack the ball around is always fun for me in the fall. And, they can make your jaw drop sometimes thinking a possible broken nose could happen at any minute. But, as should be expected with the best of the best in the world/country, these Olympic teams pretty much amaze me at their athleticism and how hard they spike, etc. Good stuff.

Gal Nevo (Israel) finished 6th in his heat in the 200m IM this afternoon and this ends his run at Rio.

On Thursday, Matt Kuchar (8:03amET tee time) and Alade Aminu (6pmET - Nigeria vs Spain) will represent Tech at Rio.

A bit of a surprise...Aussie Men's Hoops leading USA at the half 54-49. I wonder if Ratface's back is hurting right now???

Nigeria loses to Spain, 96-87. Alade Aminu played 17'36", scoring 9 pts on 4 of 7 from the field and 1 of 2 at the line. He pulled down 4 boards and blocked 2 shots.

I think Trump said his "friend" Putin(who played him pretty well), is giving him one of the Russian medals to go with the Purple Heart medallion he got from a Veteran.

Upset alert...#1 ranked USA Women's Soccer down 1-0 to Sweden in the quarterfinals with 15' + ET left in the game. A loss here would mean no medal at all and would be an epic failure.

popcorn

My jinx works in reverse this time. WOOHOO!

Alex Morgan drives one in at the 78' mark. Fans are booing because a Swedish player went down near midfield and the U.S. kept playing instead of kicking it out. Doesn't make much difference because the Brazilian fans have been against all American athletes this entire Olympics so far anyway.

Tied 1-1

Shocker of the Olympics!

Sweden defeats the U.S. Women in soccer 4-3 on penalty kicks. The U.S. has never missed at minimum the semifinals at the Olympics since it was installed (I think at the '96 Atlanta games at Fred Sanford Toilet Bowl when the U.S. won the gold).

WOW! The U.S.'s former Head Coach - now HC of Sweden - gets a sweet win.

That'll leave a mark. :eek:

Alade Aminu and Nigeria got their first win last night over Croatia, 90-76. Aminu had a very good game...logging 25 minutes and scoring 13 pts and grabbing 7 boards. He shot 4 of 8 from the field and 5 of 8 from the line.

Nice!

Nigeria's last game of pool play is Monday against host, Brazil, at 1:15pmET.

Congratulations to Kuchar on the Bronze medal. Plus he was just an inch or so short of an Olympic record round of 62. I think he is tied at 63 now.

Brazil knocks off Nigeria, 86-69, in the final game of group B play for each team. Alade Aminu and his mates finished with a 1-4 record and will not advance to the elimination rounds. Aminu again started and played just under 26 minutes, scoring 10 pts on 5 of 10 shooting from the field, while grabbing 7 rebounds.

Next Jacket in Action: Chaunte Lowe (USA) should be getting going in the Women's High Jump Thursday morning.

(Non-GT)...quarterfinals schedules for Hoops and Volleyball set...

Tuesday, 1pmET, USA Women's Volleyball vs Japan
Tuesday, 5:45pmET, USA Women's Hoops vs Japan

*both USA teams went undefeated in their respective group play

(edit note: USA Women's Volleyball made quick work of Japan 3-0 in 1 hr and 20 mins...next up is the semifinal match on Thursday against the winner of Russia-vs-Serbia)

Wednesday, 1pmET, USA Men's Volleyball vs Poland
Wednesday, 5:45pmET, USA Men's Basketball vs Argentina

*USA Men's Volleyball has won 3 straight matches after dropping first 2 in very close fashion in group play
*USA Men's Hoops needs to start playing defense or they are going to get embarrassed...they are clearly the overwhelming favorites but have been challenged to the end more than expected

Last edited:
So far so good on the VB and Hoops front. Both women's teams smoked the Japanese yesterday. All 4 teams from the USA's pool in VB defeated teams from the other pool in the quarterfinals. This perhaps suggests that the undefeated Americans played in a far tougher pool - and beat the other 3 teams in pool play. Even better, top-seed and previously unbeaten Brazil was upset late last evening by China, a team the USA defeated 3-0 in pool play. Though every venue has seen the local Brazilians rooting loudly against the U.S. consistently, if the U.S. can get to the gold medal match Saturday, there's no question having the host team not there can be one less thing to deal with.

USA WVB plays Serbia on Thursday at 1pmET in the semifinals. USA WBB plays France Thursday at 6pmET in the semifinals.

On the men's side, USA MVB just defeated Poland 3-0 in the quarterfinals for their 4th straight victory. The dudes advance to the semifinals where they will face the winner of Italy-Iran. Italy should easily defeat Iran, who went 2-3 in pool play while Italy won the American pool going 4-1. It will be a rematch the U.S. guys look forward to as Italy was the last team to defeat the USA (in pool play...3-1...with Italy's 3 set win scores being 28-26, 25-23, 25-23...read: very close!). The time for that semifinal match on Friday is TBA later tonight.

Later this afternoon, the Men's Hoopsters face Argentina at 5:45pmET in the quarterfinals. I hope they decide to play some defense. Ratface looks angry on the sidelines, but dealing with multi-millionaires is very different than guys making a few hundred grand a year on Duke's payroll. HIPPY DIPPY

USA is expected to win gold in Men and Women's hoops. Wouldn't it be something if Team USA got gold also in Men and Women's Volleyball too? The only big letdown really for Team USA so far has been the #1 ranked Women's Soccer team being eliminated in the quarterfinals.

There was at least one golfer who was a huge letdown, but given his comments, I am not sure he was committed to the team anyway.

On Thursday morning (around 9amET), Tech Sports Hall of Famer, Chaunte Howard Lowe will represent Team USA in the Women's High Jump. If she can qualify, the finals will be Saturday at 7:30pmET.

Good luck to the last Yellow Jacket to compete at Rio.

chauntelowe.jpg

11212504.jpeg
11081208.jpeg

12009183.jpeg

Update... congrats to Chaunte Lowe, the American record holder in both indoor and outdoor high jump, for qualifying for Rio's Saturday night final round in the high jump. Looking forward to watching that on TV or streaming Saturday evening. She has to be one of the favorites to win gold.

A really good semifinal Women's VB match involving the U.S. is brewing. USA is looking right now to finish off Set #4 and tie the Serbs, 2-2. This will set up a final deciding set #5 played to 15.

FWIW, here's the live streaming link... http://stream.nbcolympics.com/volleyball-womens-semifinal-1

Winner goes to the gold medal match on Saturday at 9:15pmET. Loser will play for the bronze on Saturday at 12pmET.

What a tough loss for USAWVB. Up 10-7 in the 5th set, the Serbians came back and the Brazilian crowd got behind them in a big way in the arena (can't blame them and they've been anti-USA the whole way across all venues pretty much...comes with the territory of being the best)...Serbia wins 3-2 (15-13 in final set).

Congrats to Serbia. USA goes for bronze on Saturday. First loss and hopefully only loss for USAWVB at Rio. Very disappointing for the team, but they dug their own hole getting behind 2-1 after winning the first set.

Bummer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT