ADVERTISEMENT

Softbees voted to finish 10th in the A.C.C. (out of 11 teams)

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
My how this program has fallen...hard and quick. Ouch!

Reason for optimism? Freshman pitcher, Jenna Goodrich, is perhaps the most decorated player or at least pitcher we've had come into the program. She is the Florida Gatorade POTY. Considering the number of softballers in that state, that is quite an achievement. My assumption is that she will be our #1 pitcher and while she's still a freshman and will run into the bumps all freshmen have facing experienced collegiate hitters, she is likely a significant upgrade over what we've had. And let's be honest, the game of softball is dominated by the pitcher.

Reason for concern? When you look at the official roster listed at rr.com, we only have 2 pitchers (Soph. Emily Anderson in addition to Goodrich). I'm sure CSH has some backup plans with others who can pitch that are not listed as "P" by the position. CSH has to pray that both JG and EA stay healthy and their arms don't fall off from throwing too many innings this season. For the most part, the motion of throwing a softball is not as strenuous nor prone to injury. These gals coming through travel ball are used to throwing an incredible amount of innings over the course of a weekend and year. But, the risk is still there. All players deal with fatigue.

Florida State picked to finish on top of the A.C.C. again... http://www.theacc.com/news/florida-state-selected-as-acc-softball-preseason-favorite-02-08-2016

I've always found it odd that Clemson has no softball program. Similar to how it is odd to me that Miami has no Men's Golf program (nor softball)...or that Georgia Tech doesn't have soccer programs.

The Softbees crank up the season on Wednesday, Feb. 17, at Georgia State. First pitch around 5pm weather permitting of course. First game at home is against Ohio State 2 days later.

Softbees schedule: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/w-softbl/sched/geot-w-softbl-sched.html

I thought all standard rebuilding was 7 years.

Yes, that is correct. Is that in human years or dog years? For our men's basketball program I think you take the standard 7 years and multiply it by 7 dogs year so we can expect to suffer for about another 39 years...standardly speaking of course.

However, in women's softball, with one really sharp pitcher, I think it works the other way around. I think you conveniently take the 7 standard years and divide by 7 dogs years to get to a 1 year rebuilding that the really stud pitcher can change all by herself.

Now, I know you alcoholics said there would be no math on this board. So, while this is true, just be aware and appreciative that none of what has been posted above in this reply will be on the test this Friday. And, Mr. stech81, please remember to bring your number 2 pencil this week. I'm getting about damn tired of grading your papers with you using that number 3 pencil. Sheesh. Some students just always have to be different.

If we can find and hold onto a top quality pitcher, then we can start to turn things around.

No pitching = no winning.

Hopefully the freshman can do the job.

It seems the really good tournament teams have the stud pitcher, and another one being developed. We seemed to have had that going during our best years, especially aiding the regular season record.

Goodrich is a start. Then, we signed this young lady this past November...

Brooke Barfield | P | L/L | Pembroke, Ga./Bryan County HS
11473186.jpeg
Brooke Barfield is a four-year letterwinner for head coach Al Butler, and is ranked No. 48 on FloSoftball’s Hot 100 List. Barfield is a four-year captain for the Redskins, who finished the 2015 fall season with a record of 29-12 and third-place at the state championship.
Barfield is a four-time first-team all-region selection, and a three-time first-team Coastal Empire Best of Preps selection. After the 2015 season, Barfield was named Region 2AA Pitcher of the Year.

“Brooke has the potential to be a top flight pitcher in the A.C.C.,” Hoerner said. “She is a long lefty with long levers and uses them well. She has the excellent athleticism required to repeat her delivery and become a pitcher that can consistently locate her pitches and move the ball. Her ceiling is incredibly high, and we couldn’t be more excited to have her and help her reach that ceiling.”

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/111215aah.html

Let's hope we can keep them with the program and develop them. With a relatively new shiny stadium, plenty of strong talent in the area, a great education, etc., there's absolutely no reason why we should be hanging around the basement of the A.C.C.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Amen!

...and if we need more "long levers" as Coach Hoerner likes, I'll get the elevator door fixed on my motel floor. We are Ga. Tech, we can do that!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT