ADVERTISEMENT

Q's Update sponsored by Inteleca: Key's final staff being assembled

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Thanks to our sponsor Inteleca for helping bring back Q's Take my weekly look at things around GT and college sports from my vantage.

GA Tech Large Ad copy-660x150-px.gif

I know everyone is anxious to find out who Brent Key will hire as defensive backs coach. As I've maintained all along it is a process. I posted this in another thread, but there is a lot that goes into this and guys will interview or get into the mix for different reasons and fall out of the mix as well. Some use interview opportunities to get raises or for the experience as well so there is a lot to sort through. Most of the people interviewed by Key have jobs right now and a couple that didn't are on buyouts with very specific language as well so that factors into all of this. I am pretty confident that there will be a DB coach in place this coming week. Heading into the weekend it appeared to be a two-horse race and I assume that Key has been working to finalize the one he wants to hire.

Like anything, a lot goes into these hires including family situations, cultural fit and everything else. Key is very demanding on his staff and with time and that is a little different than other coaches in the business so he is very honest and thorough with his process.

In addition to the DB coach, Key has been working to finalize his off-the-field staff as well and the timeline for those hires to be finalized is after NSD 2.0 so probably the week of Feb. 12th at this point as contracts get sorted out and people finish out their prior assignments.

If Key pulls off some of the off-the-field hires I think everyone will be very pleased with the process and the fact it took some time. Like with the DC search, he cast a very wide net and was aiming very high with the moves he is making. I'm shocked honestly at the caliber of some of the people interested in working for him in a good way.

I would love to share names, but I'm really not interested in helping some coach get fired because Key opted to not hire him and his coach is pissed he interviewed at GT. I'm sorry but I wouldn't want people posting if I was interviewing with another company either if I was in negotiations or trying to get a raise. There have been several false alarms where someone spoke to Key and used it to leverage their current job as well and again I'm not going to play that game either.

George Godsey and Kerry Dixon who are on the Baltimore Ravens staff had Coach Key up for the game today. I thought that was pretty cool. Maybe he will get to meet Taylor Swift! lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News