ADVERTISEMENT

Mercer@G.T.

Some observations of note from CPJ's Q&A presser today...

• When asked which A-Backs would be starting...CPJ: "the only A-Back who we know will start this week is Qua Searcy...we'll find out who else will start and play today, Wednesday and Thursday."

• When asked are the O-Line starting positions open...CPJ: "the only OL who likely has a starting job is Freddie Burden and that's partly because his backup is competing for the starting Left Tackle position...every other starting OL position is open."

• When asked about some guys not playing this past week (e.g., Desmond Branch)...CPJ: "Parker Braun will play Saturday...I want to see if he'll get up there and hit somebody...some guys like Desmond Branch will definitely play this week...and there are a bunch of other young guys who will play like Brentavious Glanton and maybe Brandon (Adams)...we'll play the redshirt decisions as the season progresses"

• When asked about positives from Saturday...CPJ: "Harrison Butker had a good game...liked the way the team didn't fold at the end after getting down...otherwise would say it was a very average performance...and, I am being generous by calling it average" (later when asked he advised he would give the team a C- or D+ for the game if had to grade it)

• CPJ liked the way JT5 handled himself. Stated back in offseason how he wanted JT5 to show better mannerisms on sidelines and not get so down on himself as it rubs off on the rest of the team and particularly the offense. JT5 was upbeat in the 4Q on the sidelines telling guys we were going to come back and win after we got down.

• CPJ stressed OL's at times are "too smart for our own good"...they too often go after the perfect angle instead of just lining up and hitting somebody. CPJ said and I quote "we're going to make it very simple for them this week" in context of looking to find guys who will just line up, "come off the ball and smack somebody in the mouth".

• CPJ stressed we need better push up the middle from the DT's. In response to allowing Towles too often to scramble for yardage, he advised our DL's don't stay in their lanes, don't take care of their immediate task, and in turn they create holes for the QB to exploit running

Just listened to the presser and I think Mercer is in for a butt whipping this weekend. I think Vegas would be wise to not post a line on this one. I'm gonna miss watching this game because I'll be with my daughter while she plays a junior golf tournament. But I'll be discreetly streaming the radio call through my earbuds

Depth chart on offense looks to be in flux. Marshall and Stewart get the start at B-back and WR respectively. OL could be just about any combination of the 2-deep with the exception of Burden at C and Klock at RT.

Depth chart on offense looks to be in flux. Marshall and Stewart get the start at B-back and WR respectively. OL could be just about any combination of the 2-deep with the exception of Burden at C and Klock at RT.

Yep. I think CPJ is partly wanting to send a message by juggling the starting lineup potentially, but mostly just trying to find guys who are willing to step up at this point. I don't think, for instance, he has one minutes worry of inserting a Parker Braun into the starting lineup if he steps up and starts knocking DL's on their behinds. Not sure doing that against an overmanned Mercer team will show anything for the long-run, but at this point I don't think CPJ really cares.

Perfect game to play Adams, Branch, Braun, et al. Our counterparts to the east, otherwise known as hell runneth over, played 10 true freshmen in the Dome.

Agreed.

I sent an email to your construction company address, yesterday. Please update me if you have one for being a retiree, now?
I can still get e-mails from the company . But don't have one . I still get them from ESPNjacket. It was in my spam answer coming soon.

Last edited:
Why are they suspended?

Team rule violations. Your guess is as good as mine as to what that means. My guess is that they weren't where they were supposed to be at some point during the trip back to ATL.

Not that Marcus Marshall needed more motivation, but if this doesn't motivate him to have a monster game Saturday against what should be an undermanned defense and our own offensive line which has a fire lit up their hind parts fighting for their own jobs, then I don't know what else might motivate the young man.

Side note, can't remember if it was in his presser Tuesday or during his radio show Monday, but CPJ pointed out that they have to get MM's stance right pre-snap. Said he was not positioning his legs properly to fire out. Now, I give CPJ at least some credit for acknowledging that and making the comment. But, I have to admit I found it very odd that it took actual game action to notice this. I mean, I guess there is a chance he looked just fine throughout preseason camp with his pre-snap stance and just decided to change things in Ireland, but that immediately makes me think.... "dooo whaaaaaaaat?" Regardless, let's hope that gets straightened out and MM hits the holes with the proper velocity and open eyes looking for holes. Well, let's hope there are some open holes, but that's a different rant for a different time I know.

Let's hope so. A college coach I know who has also spent time in the NFL thinks MM has a very high ceiling. My eyes said the same thing last season, but hearing it from this guy has me hoping to high hell that he goes the extra mile to realize his potential.

Agree 622%. I'm certainly not going to be confused for a college or NFL coach, but over the offseason I was singing MM's praises on this board saying the exact same things. I think I said he could wind up being better than Dwyer (still the best RB in CPJ's system) and if he really cranked it up he could be the best pure runner we've had since ELI. Robert Lavette was a fantastic RB and still holds a ton of records at Tech. He was as good a pass-catching RB as we've ever had...at least, in the 40+ years I've followed Tech FB.

I was a bit surprised to see Mills as the starter at Dublin, but took it more as a compliment to DM than a slight towards MM. Now that the door is wide open for MM, he may be Lou Gehrig from here on. Let's hope so...and, I only say "I hope so" in the sense that if he does that means 1) the O-Line is doing what it needs to do most likely, 2) JT5 is making the right reads, and 3) most important to what he can control, MM is doing what made so many of us drool at times last year as a true frosh. While not nearly as big, he looked a lot like the great #34 RB's of the 80's at times last year (in the middle of a dismal season)... Bo, Walker, etc.

I was under the Impression that MM was not good at blocking. And that DM was better at blocking.

Listening to CPJ post practice report he did not come out and say it but in happened on Monday. ( just my guess cut a class) ( or missed a meeting)

If it happened Monday your guess is a good one.

I was under the Impression that MM was not good at blocking. And that DM was better at blocking.

Not trying to be a smart ace or a-hole here as I really am unclear about it, but when I read about our B-Backs and blocking it always confuses me. I mean, pass blocking...agree. That is something which could be a difference maker. And, if MM is weak in that area (or weaker than DM), then OK. But, how often does the BB really block anyway? When we are running the 3O, he's blasting up the middle and either running with it or getting tackled without it. When we are running the 3O and the occasional play where the BB goes with JT5 to the outside (my favorite 3O play, btw), then the BB isn't blocking out there either. He's either getting the pitch or way behind the play if JT5 takes off with it.

When is the BB blocking on running plays? The rocket toss sweep doesn't seem like a BB would even be much of a blocker either? The AB has the ball running towards the sidelines before the BB can hardly get out of his stance.

Not trying to be a smart ace or a-hole here as I really am unclear about it, but when I read about our B-Backs and blocking it always confuses me. I mean, pass blocking...agree. That is something which could be a difference maker. And, if MM is weak in that area (or weaker than DM), then OK. But, how often does the BB really block anyway? When we are running the 3O, he's blasting up the middle and either running with it or getting tackled without it. When we are running the 3O and the occasional play where the BB goes with JT5 to the outside (my favorite 3O play, btw), then the BB isn't blocking out there either. He's either getting the pitch or way behind the play if JT5 takes off with it.

When is the BB blocking on running plays? The rocket toss sweep doesn't seem like a BB would even be much of a blocker either? The AB has the ball running towards the sidelines before the BB can hardly get out of his stance.
Pass blocking was the problem last year, don't know if he has done better this year. I thought CPJ has said it was better. As far a running plays i no idea what he would do in our offense , I know it high school we ran the wishbone and the fullback if he did not get the ball his job was to block the LB release and go after the safety .

Yep. That's what I was thinking as well. That is, if he's still on his feet when not getting the ball via the mesh, then he's supposed to go head hunting downfield. The problem though is that teams almost always focus on tackling our BB no matter what. Obviously, they aren't always successful at that. There are times when we all go "damn, wish JT5 had handed that off to the BB", but that happens perhaps only 3 or 4 times max a game. The rest of the time, the D is tackling our BB when he doesn't get the ball as a general rule.

I recall Dave "The Mustache" Wannstadt giving advice years ago on defending CPJ's offense and his first rule was "tackle the B-Back (he may have called it Fullback) on every play whether he gets it or not". I think his next comment was WTTE of "if you let the B-Back go untackled, his (CPJ) offense will destroy you."

Side note from CPJ's commentary earlier this week to the media...

I'm hopeful we don't need to punt a single time against Mercer. But, if we do, Rodwell had better get off a good one (or however many he has to do). CPJ's patience is about as thin as I've ever heard him. He's ready to pull the plug on a 4th year punter if we continue to see dying quails dropping 30 yards downfield from the LOS.

It might be time to see how Shawn Davis punts in a real game. He is a fine place kicker from McDonough, where he punted as well.

I love CPJ's responses to questions most of the time. They are just so plain, obvious, dull, and deadpan. Mostly from the Duh Department.

When asked what his team needs to do? "We need to play better". LOL!

It's like the moment in that classic 1979 movie, Meatballs, when the CIT asks Tripper (played by Bill Murray) for advice before his (CIT) high jump event in the Camp Olympiad vs Camp North Star...

CIT: "Hey Trip, any advice before I do the high jump?"

Tripper: "Yeah. Try to jump really really high."

Who knew CPJ was a big Tripper fan?

INTERVIEWER

And to think I've used Oddshark to help with my picks in the past. That site has just lost all credibility with this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT