ADVERTISEMENT

MBB: Update regarding early season scheduling

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
We already know about at Penn State (Nov 29, Tue), at VCU (Dec 7, Wed), the Cesspool at home (Dec 20, Tue), and Wofford at home (Dec 22, Thu).

Now, we learn that Tech may be involved in a series of games that will include home games against Ohio U., Southern U., Sam Houston State, and Tennessee Tech. Read on towards the end... http://www.athensmessenger.com/spor...cle_3e8051fc-596a-58c9-9462-54793c6b7f5a.html

Scroll towards the bottom under Non-Bracketed Events and see Georgia Tech MTE... http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2...al-site?_ga=1.170571936.1815405254.1421192565

We will learn more about these of course as we progress over the summer. We still also will find out about our road games at Tennessee and Duquesne (assuming we fulfill the return trip this season), and Tulane at home (assuming we host them this season).

Assuming the information above regarding us leading a 5-team non-bracketed event is accurate, this leads to a (POTENTIAL) schedule which will include...

Non-ACC (11 so far, 1 or 2 yet TBD)
Tennessee Tech - TBD
Sam Houston State - TBD
Southern Univ. - TBD
Ohio Univ. - TBD
at Duquesne - TBD
at Tennessee - TBD
Tulane - TBD
at Penn State - Nov. 29, Tue
at VCU - Dec. 7, Wed
Cesspool - Dec. 20, Tue
Wofford - Dec. 22, Thu

ACC (18 games known, dates TBA normally in late August)
Home & Away...

Clemson
Notre Dame
NC State
Syracuse
Home Only...
Florida State
Cheaters
Louisville
Pitt
Boston College
Away Only...
at Miami
at Duke
at Wake Forest
at Virginia
at Virginia Tech

For those of us who don't keep up with basketball how hard is this Schedule ? Rate A-D A being hard.

For those of us who don't keep up with basketball how hard is this Schedule ? Rate A-D A being hard.

Without notion of how potentially weak our team is, I'd say it is a C. More specifically, I'd say a B- or C+.

For a Duke, this is a creampuff schedule. If you throw in how weak we potentially will be, it is very challenging.

Road games at Tennessee, Penn State and Duquesne will be tough...especially for us. A road game at VCU is a potential lopsided blow out for the Rams. Hosting the Cesspool and Tulane will be winnable games but tough. Same for Wofford. Home games against teams like Southern U., Ohio U., etc., should be wins, but nothing will be easy for the Jackets next season.

The ACC is loaded as usual and there are never any easy games, including BC as bad as they were last year. BC at home might be the only game we will be favored to win.

I certainly think hosting those 4 teams (assuming the reports from Athens Ohio are accurate) makes a lot of sense. With 4 OOC road games (assuming Duquesne roadie takes place), this team needs the remainder of the OOC games at home for win opportunities. A win on December 20th would be a good start to the CJP era. :D

I think Tech has 1 or 2 more openings to fill and who, where and when those are scheduled could change the complexion of how difficult or not this schedule is. CJP may view next season as a sacrificial lamb type of scenario and along with The Dead One may want to schedule a tough road game or two with the expectation they are coming to the Massive Mammary Gland in Year 2 of the CJP Era, where we might have a better team. I stress "might".

Thanks. We had 'em all covered except for the Alcorn State game and Shorter exhibition.

They can add some dates to some of them which are already known such as Cesspool on Dec. 20, Tue....Tulane on Nov. 26, Sat...and, Wofford on Dec. 22, Thu.

A new one to add... home vs North Carolina A&T per this release... http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062816aab.html

Looks like from reading this and putting some pieces together that we already know dates we can take a stab at when some of these OOC games will take place that aren't released officially yet.

Final exams are Dec. 8-15.

What we know...
Nov. 26, Sat, Tulane at home
Nov. 29, Tue, at Penn State
Dec. 3, Sat, at Tennessee
Dec. 7, Wed, at VCU
(exams Dec. 8-15)
Dec. 20, Tue, Cesspool at home
Dec. 22, Thu, Wofford at home

What we can project...
*Article says we will open with 5 straight home games with Tulane being the last one...the previous 4 are the GT exempt event posted in reply earlier in the thread...so, we can expect the scattering of those 4 home games to be between opening night (Nov. 11, Fri) thru around Nov. 23 (Wed), the day before Thanksgiving...my guess would be:
---Nov. 11, Fri., Tennessee Tech
---Nov. 14, Mon, Southern U.
---Nov. 18, Thu, Ohio U.
---Nov. 22, Tue, Sam Houston State

*Host Alcorn State on Dec. 17 (Sat.) is my guess coming off exams
*Host N.C. A&T just after Christmas...maybe Dec. 27 (Tue) or 28 (Wed) with ACC opener on New Year's Eve (Sat) maybe???

would you say this schedule would be maybe ranked somewhere around top 25, 35-40, 60-75 or <100 when SOS rankings will be projected for the next season?

Edit: I think it'll be 35-40 range

Can't remember a schedule not being in the top 25 since we joined the conference.
This year we play the likes of UNC, Louisville and ND at home. Imagine how difficult the road will be?

could be, I went back and looked at 15-16 and GT ranked 24th just ahead of Kentucky who had #12 non conference schedule. Also Louisville WFU, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Boston College and Clemson were all > 30. (36,38,43,53,60,96) With 15 teams there's more variety in the schedules plus there are some bad ACC teams, as we know... unfortunately

Bobby always scheduled tough. Since he left, I found most of the scheduling was top 20. Believe it or not several top 10's. I noticed a 22, the 24 you mentioned.....nothing beyond unless I missed a few with the ones I didn't find post-Cremins.

Taking a way way way WAAAAAAAAAAAY too early look at this season's schedule for giggles...

5 straight home games to get things going...

While nothing may be easy for the BasketJackets this upcoming season and there will be lots of reliance on true freshmen, breaking in new systems, and reliance on new starters among the returnees, I think Tech will go 4-1 to open the non-conference schedule against Tennessee Tech, Southern U., Ohio U., Sam Houston St., and Tulane - all at the Enormous Boob.

Tenn. Tech went 19-12 last year, but they lose their top 2 players to graduation (similar story to us) and 3 of their top 5. Being the first game in a new system, you never know so an upset is of course possible. Jackets should win though.

Southern U. will be another good test. The Jags went 22-13 last year and made the NCAAT's play-in game winning the SWACT. SU loses its top player to graduation and 2 of its top 4, but does return some rising seniors who were their 2nd and 3rd top scorers a year ago. Watch out, Jackets. We've been bitten by the Jags before...ugh.

Ohio U. brings yet another team to Tech who won 19+ games last year as the Bobcats went 23-12 and finished 2nd in the MAC-East. This is a very experienced team who only had 1 senior last year on its roster. Ohio's rising senior, 6'10" Antonio Campbell, led the team in both scoring and rebounding (a double-double average...impressive!) with 17.5 ppg and 10.0 rpg. This is the most likely loss for Tech IMO though any of these teams can and probably will give Tech fits.

Sam Houston State finished 18-16 last year. Like Ohio U., they bring back pretty much their entire roster including their starting 5 - 4 of who will be seniors. Another potential landmine for the Jackets if our guys don't bring their best.

Tulane finished 12-22 and fired their HC at the end of the season. Long-time NBA coach, Mike Dunleavy, has taken over in NOLA. This should be a win for the Jackets.

Next 3 on the road in next reply...

I've got us 4-1 so far. Enjoy the 4 wins because it is likely there won't be a lot of wins this upcoming winter. Hopefully, the guys will surprise us some in Year 1 of the Pastner era.

Next 3 on the road...

at Penn State: The Lions went 16-16 last season, 10th in the Big 10 at 7-11. I'm too lazy to look up how their signing class looks, but PSU loses its top player and another starter while welcoming back 3 starters. This is a winnable game for Tech but being our first road game with a young crew, I can't count on a W here.

at Tennessee: Another winnable road game in Rick Barnes' 2nd year in Knoxville. Tech barely defeated the Vols in Atlanta last season. UT does lose its top 2 players and that's a lot of production as top scorer, Punter Jr., contributed over 20 ppg. Tech might go 5-0 to start the season at home or might steal a win at Penn State, so I'll even things out here and say Tech gets a W in Knoxville to move to 5-2 on the season.

at VCU: Forget it. This will be ugly. VCU is very good most of the time anywhere, but at the Siegel Center they can be devastating. Tech moves to 5-3 and takes a break for exams.

Next 4 at home in next reply...

If Tech is 5-3 at this point as I've projected, that really isn't too terribly bad. There are some good teams among those first 8 games. Anything better than 5-3 is an eye-opening start to the season IMO.

Tech finishes up the non-conference schedule back at home...

Host Alcorn State coming off exams: The Braves finished 15-15 last year and 2nd in the SWAC at 13-5. ASU loses its top 4 players and will have to overhaul their starting unit. While coming off exams isn't easy for most collegiate players, it can be quite a relief for Georgia Tech's as they get a reprieve from jail for a few weeks. Tech wins and moves to 6-3.

Cesspool: It's a shame this game isn't scheduled when students are in session. Tech has won 6 of the last 7 in this game at the Gigantic Hooter. The lone loss was by 1 pt on a last second shot. Lots of eyes will be on Pastner and how he approaches COFH. Certainly he gets it that the guy he replaced - as lousy as his record was overall - did at least go 4-1 against the Scumbags. The Cesspool should return their point guard who pretty much beat us over at the Stegasaurus by himself last December and that could be the difference for them. However, I think Tech gets it done somehow at home to move to 7-3 on the season.

Wofford: The Terriers finished a disappointing 15-17 to their normal standards last year. They lose their top player and 3 of their top 5. Tech won by 16 last season. While I don't think it will be as large a margin this year, I think Tech gets the win and moves to 8-3.

NC A&T: The Aggies finished 10-22 last year. Tech should win this final warm up for ACC play and move to 9-3.

So, there you have it. We finish the pre-ACC schedule 9-3 and have a big win over our in-state cheaters in the rear view mirror. This may actually be a little optimistic I admit as 6-6 wouldn't surprise me. Hopefully, by now, CJP at least has a pretty good idea of who his top 8-9 guys are heading into ACC play...which won't be pleasant.

Next a look at ACC play...

We won't know the actual schedule of ACC games for another couple of months, but we do know who we play. Breaking it down some...

Home & Away...

Clemson: Blossomgame returned after a quick look at the NBA Draft. That's not good for us or anybody in the ACC. Can't see Tech winning either game.

Notre Dame: They lose Jackson (early to NBA) and big man Auguste. Everybody else returns. Can't see Tech winning either game, though our games with them have been very close. So, winning at home won't shock me at all.

NC State: The Pack have a solid recruiting class coming in. Tech has to win one of these games at home so I'll say we split.

Syracuse: Orange sweeps so we go 1-7 in these 8 games.

Away Only...

Miami, Duke, Wake, UVA, Va Tech: can't see Tech winning any of these games...Wake is likely our only legit shot. 0-5 in these 5 games.

Home Only...

FSU, Cheaters, Louisville, Pitt, BC: I think Tech goes 2-3 in these 5 games.

That would put our ACC record at 4-14 and overall record at 13-17. Thinking about it for a second, if Pastner can register 13 wins next season, that really isn't too terribly bad considering how reliant he will be on true freshmen, how little he has returning in terms of proven production, and how incredibly strong the ACC is.

Excellent preview. So my idea to see early action....then go to church frequently in January....is a good plan?

Previously, you and I agreed on 10 wins. I am feeling good vibes that you have bought in to the staff, with their abilities to "steal a few". Because if we are 9-3 at Christmas, I will grant you a 12 win season or maybe a few more if my prayers are working.

With such little depth, we have to hope:

1. we avoid season-ending injuries or even injuries that will hold guys out for a few weeks

2. some guys step up - looking specifically at Lammers, T-Jax and Q

3. freshmen learn quick in Nov-Dec...they will be thrown to the fire out of necessity...the good thing is I am bullish on all 3 of these guys coming in and look forward to seeing what they can do...deer in headlights is expected once January arrives though and expectations must be held in check...the ACC eats its young most of the time - with the exception of course of the 5-star type talents (to which we have none)

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Do you feel the depth concerns are less with the 2 new transfers? They seem like good players, very much on par with the current talent, maybe even better than avg right now.

1 transfer should be an immediate contributor in games. The other in practice. So yes absolutely they help.

Hell, I don't know. Maybe. Lots of other variables involved. Certainly, additional bodies and a potential 3-pt threat can't hurt.

I'm keeping within the 10-12 range. A few less or more is not going to alter my expectations much. This was going to happen no matter what staff coached here this coming season.

What has me optimistic is clearly out working other schools by pounding the pavement and being the last to leave the gyms.

Shared some emails this morning with a knowledgeable CBB blogger. He advised that with us hosting the early season tournament-that-isn't-really-a-tournament, we can schedule 2 more OOC games to our schedule beyond what ramblinwreck.com currently shows.

4 items we discussed about this upcoming season (in addition to future of ACC scheduling moving to 20 games per team)...

1. Southern U. is listed as being part of the tournament that isn't really a tournament. So, we may see them on the schedule at some point added.

2. We may see us schedule the return trip to Duquesne to repay for their trip to Atlanta last year.

3. We have a huge gap between game 1 (Nov 11) on opening night and game 2 (Nov 18). This is very odd as normally head coaches want to get games in early in the season. A midweek game (Nov 14 or 15?) is an opening to add Southern U. or a trip to Duquesne.

4. Also, depending on when the ACC schedule starts, a second opening could be New Years Eve/Day weekend. I'd think the ACC would not open that weekend competing with big bowl games and final weekend of NFL regular season.

Thanks to both of you kind souls for sharing!

Not only about the Tourney that isn't a Tourney, but other potential games to add a victory or two in rounding out the schedule.

Hopefully, Richard & Kurt are broadcasting the Shorter game? I'll take them as many times as we can get them!

The silver lining of Richard getting shafted (again) by the moronic AD at Tech to be the Voice of the Jackets, he truthfully still is in these singular eyes of mine because I rarely listen to radio broadcasts of FB or MBB. I listen to WREK solely for about half of the Lady J's games, while normally syncing up Richard's call with the video on several of the video broadcasts whenever I can set it up properly. I listen to Wiley B (who I think does an outstanding job) as often as possible on the Beesball broadcasts. Comes with the package for home All-Access games I subscribe to. Nice.

I look forward as you do, mate, with Richard and Kurt doing the now ACC Network Extra broadcasts - hoping that continues.

So, I'm not really missing anything by Richard being dissed...again. Though, I'd probably listen to more FB and MBB coverage if he were the Voice of the Jackets as he should be. And definitely, I'd pay more attention to the radio shows with CPJ and now CJP. Sorry to pound it again, but the previous VofJ was worse than a lot of the music played on WREK...though I'll say I normally listen to Richard on Lady J's broadcasts only to fill time between the hilarious WREK commercials. ;):p:D

Reactions: Buzzforlife
I was about to post the same request for questions. Hopefully the response will be huge. It'll be sad just to get half a dozen questions....

The ACC schedule is expected to be announced in late August.

Nov. 5 vs. Shorter (exhibition)

Nov. 11 vs. Tennessee Tech

Nov. 14 vs. Southern

Nov. 18 vs. Ohio

Nov. 22 vs. Sam Houston State

Nov. 26 vs. Tulane

Nov. 29 at Penn State

Dec. 3 at Tennessee

Dec. 7 at VCU

Dec. 18 vs. Alcorn State

Dec. 20 vs. Georgia

Dec. 22 vs. Wofford

Dec. 28 vs. North Carolina A&T

July 29, 2016

THE FLATS - Six games against teams that played in a post-season tournament last year, as well as road trips to Power 5 conference teams Penn State and Tennessee, highlight the non-conference men's basketball schedule for Georgia Tech in 2016-17.

The Yellow Jackets will play nine times at home before Jan. 1 in head coach Josh Pastner's first Tech campaign, with the home slate interrupted by three consecutive road games in late November/early December.

Schedule notes: Tech hosts Shorter University, an NCAA Division II team, from Rome, Ga., in an exhibition game Nov. 5 ... The Yellow Jackets have played every other team on the non-conference schedule previously except Sam Houston State ... Tech will play Georgia for the 193rd time, Tennessee for the 81st time, Tulane for the 71st time ... Last meeting vs. Tennessee Tech (12/27/2007), Southern (3/19/1993), Ohio (3/11/1960), Alcorn State (1/18/1989), North Carolina A&T (11/24/2013) ... Tech's only previous meeting vs. Southern was in the opening round of the 1993 NCAA Tournament in Tucson, Ariz.; Tech was upset by the Jaguars after the Yellow Jackets had won the ACC Championship ... In the only previous meeting with Ohio, Tech defeated the Bobcats in its first-ever NCAA Tournament game in 1960, then lost in the second round to eventual NCAA champion Ohio State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT