ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
I’ll import unanswered ones from last week as well.

Just seen the other thread posted but could you elaborate or look into the naming rights/sponsorship thing? I really believe something like that could really change things for us.

Not sure if AD questions are fair game, but who would be on your AD hot list?

There's been repeated mention of the team making plays in practice that they've then missed in the game itself (Charlie Thomas called this out in his presser this week). Does that match your own assessment? What can be attributed to this? And, how do you even gauge/fix that type of gap when you can't even use practice as a benchmark for progress?

How many more scoreless quarters from Jeff Sims do we need before either of the Zachs get a shot? I know there's larger issues on the OL, but it's kind of jarring that neither have even gotten a series. The same coaching staff was willing to play Sims as a true freshman, so what's the fear there?

McDuffie got as many carries as Dontae Smith last week, and Smith's share of carries has been trending down (9/17 -> 11/26 -> 5/18 rb carries) despite him being our most productive runner. What's the reason for this?

The defense is what it is, but the offense has been extremely disappointing. Can we expect a Chip Long presser anytime soon? At least Patenaude would field questions from time to time.

What is an example of a program that was in a similar position as we find ourselves today, and worked their way back to relevance? Trying to retain a glimmer of hope..

If you were an AD of a school in a similar position like us and you were searching for your next head coach during the offseason after letting them go. What type of coach would you look for and why? One like a successful up and coming coach like Jamey Chadwell, or someone like Deion Sanders who would be a instant recruiter and bring a lot of energy/excitement?

Weird time of year to be asking about it I guess, but might be a nice change of pace from football: is there any word on if the Tech-UGA baseball rubber match will ever go back to Truist Park? Last I saw about it was a Ken piece saying the Braves were not particularly keen on it because of the time of year, but that seems like a real shame, especially since it's for charity. Don't know if there's been any movement on that.

Who “owns” Bobby Dodd Stadium? GTAA? GT? University System? State of GA?

Georgia Tech mens basketball will make the NCAA Tournament if _________?

I see people have started throwing Bill O’Brien around for not just Tech but other possible HC openings around the country. I don’t get it…feels like more Saban and Bryce Young than him…am I missing something, what’s the allure?

Georgia Tech has always been known for getting smart players. But we have heard in the past with various head coaches (Paul comes to mind and pretty sure Geoff too) where they had to simplify things for the players. I remember this for defense in particular.

Does Tech academics affect players' ability to learn and execute the plays at a higher level due to academics taking up more time than it might at other schools?

What reason have you heard in the past for the need for simplifying the play book? Why weren't the players getting it?

Players are not executing great now. Is that related to the complexity of the offense/defense, the coaching, or players have not developed. Could be all the above but which is the biggest reason?

What are y'all's thoughts on how the new 12 team playoff will affect recruiting?

Do you think Jamey Chadwell is in play for auburn? Is he an early Favorite for them? I’m trying to gauge his appeal to other P5 schools - general commentary on that front would be interesting

It was said by Kelly, I think, the Tech has a good reputation in Ohio.

1. Do either of you know how this happened?

2. Is it for all things GT, or is it specific to athletics or academics?

3. Are there any other states/cities that are similar?

St. Frances Academy

I just watched the documentary on the school (I highly recommend it, HBOmax), and I'm surprised by the coaches comments about staff not being high on Durell Robinson coming the A based on Kellman's situation. Are they not high on Tech based on this or are they looking at each kid's situation separately? It's seems that there is some appeal that is there from the recruits, just wondering if this could be a problem in the future.

I believe Tech should do really well recruiting in Cobb and Roswell for the following reasons:
* Lots of Tech alumni live in the area (particularly in E. Cobb)
* The schools are good so the student athletes should be positioned well to get into Tech.
* Close to Tech

But it seems like we usually see kids from the area go out of state to football factory schools. Although we do have a commit coming from Lassiter (I heard his parents went to Tech) in 2024. And we have seen other kids from the area transfer into Tech.

Do you think Tech could lock down East Cobb/Roswell area (or maybe another area you feel is a better fit)?

Is it a realistic strategy to identify areas of Atlanta to regularly mine? If Tech is doing this now I have not noticed.

Tech baseball use to (maybe still does- have not followed that closely) get a lot of kids that played East Cobb baseball for example.

And lastly, does Collins impending firing buy Pastner an 8th season regardless of results this season in year 7? I personally think he needs to produce this season and should be under more pressure than he seemingly is. Perhaps part of it is that he doesn’t look so bad compared to football…But we’ll save the merits of that argument for another day. For this question assume we don’t make any post season tournament - NIT or NCAA - have a losing record, which keeps Pastners overall record below .500 after 7 seasons (currently has a losing record after 6 seasons at 94-96). Also assume we lose a couple key players to the portal (i.e. Miles and Deebo) following a bad season. Does Pastner survive that, in whole or in part because of the financial predicament we’ll be in after firing Collins? Or perhaps the more appropriate question is does he buy 2 more seasons with this firing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News