ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 9/14

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Does CJ Leggett apply for medical redshirt or w/e its called and have 4 years of eligibility after 2015?

Depends on a lot of factors like him becoming a factor on the offense. Won't know for a few years, but he can get one.

After Keith Marshall graduates from UGA, any chance he comes to Tech to play A back?

Maybe, there are a lot of factors involved, but it would be humorous to have JJ Green and Keith Marshall flanking Marcus Marshall.

Has C. Campbell given the staff enough confidence at QB to lessen the need for an elite QB in the 2016 class?

No they want an elite QB every single year and probably two and then you move them to AB, WR, BB or CB depending on body types. TaQuon Marshall and Christian Campbell are the two guys who will compete with Matt Jordan and Chase Martenson at QB in the spring and maybe Jaylend Ratliffe if he gets cleared.

If we've given up on a qb recruit for 2016, any early qb offers for 2017 kids? Especially considering the JT5 hype for some of these younger recruits.

No they are still checking out QB targets. I expect the staff to search out of state for the QB for the 2016 class.

Can you do an interviewJaylend Ratliffe to see how things are going with him and his plans?

I'll give him a shout and see what's doing.

Is Jaylend Ratliffe playing HighSchool football this fall? If so, is he still at QB?

No, he is not playing HS football. His brothers are on the team though.

What is the reasoning of playing a FCS team like Alcorn State? The coaching staff learns practically nothing about our players. The $$$ cannot be the answer since tickets were only $15 meaning that maximun gross revenues were only $750,000. Why on earth do we do it?

GT doesn't want to pay $500,000 for New Mexico State or the like to come here twice a year when they can get an Alcorn State as a warm up. As long as the other P5 schools are playing FCS schools GT will follow.

What is the final verdict on assistant coach salaries?

A few bumps but nothing significant.
  1. Is MLD going to play at AB since Matthew Jordan will be playing QB, for the time being? Do the coaches feel that AB is his home?
They like MLD at A-back and it is a good fit, but he can play either. He is a better fit at A-back than a guy like Synjyn Days, think of a Charles Perkins with better hands. That is a MLD. Yeah he may play, he has his helmet on and is in the huddle and preparing to play, but they would like to hold him back if possible. It could go five or six games in before they play him depending on injuries. Basically he plays if someone gets hurt or if they need him.

2. Any idea on how many snaps Marcus Marshall will get going forward? I assume ball security has been emphasized and if he has another good showing against Tulane he will get significant carries against Notre Dame.

It depends on how teams decide to defend. If teams are taking the B-back and QB then Skov and Marcus Allen will get more work because they are more physical. When things open up then it is time for Marshall.

3. Out of the current crop of A backs, who is the best overall blocker? Or are they all about the same (no one stands out). It seems that the overall athleticism from the position is greater than it has been in some time.

Ike Willis is the best blocker. Yes, CPJ has said athletically the A-backs are the most talented he has had at GT.

4. Any players this year you expect to make a big jump from last year? For example, Chamberlain made huge strides in 2014 after 2013, and Snoddy seemed to breakout. Do you have any guys in mind?

Mike Summers has really impressed me as has Antonio Simmons. Simmons is playing both DE spots as an edge rusher and looks good.

Any way we can set up a designated place to tailgate for the Notre dame game

I'm game if someone wants to set something up. I know nothing about how ND is set up or where people tailgate. This will be my first time there.

When Martenson returns from his injury do you expect he moves ahead of Jordan into the #2 QB spot?

Depends on the situation, I think if GT needs a passing element off the bench Chase is the guy, but I think Jordan will be able to give you some of the tougher running elements. I could see a role for both going forward.

What kind of bread for your sandwich?

A. White
B. Wheat
C. Pumpernickel
D. Sour dough
E. Rye
F. Don't care, girl makes me my sammiches

F. I don't really make my own, my girl does or I go buy one.

akajacket revives the issue of whether our assistant coach pay remains bottom quartile in the ACC or not. A year or more ago Red gave interesting comparisons. Foggy recall is GT asst pay was $2.2m, UGA was $3.6 and Clemson was $4.2. Likely off a bit but close. How comparing now vs the teams we say we must beat like ND, FSU, Miami, VT, UGA and Clemson?

Miami and ND's salaries are private, so no clue. VaTech pays Bud Foster almost as much as the entire GT defensive staff and UGA is paying a crap ton for Pruitt and Schotty. I would figure most of those schools are between $1 million and 2.5 million more than GT.

Jordan looked surprisingly effective vs Tulane. Martenson now returns from injury list. What's the QB preparation for ND like, given PJ's earlier "we'll use players based on the situation" comment?

See above, I think it depends, Chase can sling the ball but Jordan is a better tough runner. They are very different so it will be interesting to see how they compete.

Why did Errin Joe play so little? Any injury to him or anybody else?

He got dinged later in the game, they wanted to get Will Bryan some work so he was in at LT and they rolled Chamberlain to RT some. Both Chamberlain and Joe played the same number of snaps I would bet if you go back and watch.

Is it safe to say Tim has had an MRI by now?

He had one on Tuesday of last week.

Any reason Tim would want the result kept in-house?

Yes, the family does not want the injury out or they are waiting to see if he can play on it.

Will Tim be working w/ Matthew prepping as No. 2?

Yes, Tim helps the guys out, Jordan said in the story that is on the front of the site that Tim has really helped him prepare for QB duty.

Likelihood Marcus Marshall leads the team in rushing?

Not great, Skov probably starts all year and will get more touches and JT probably leads the team in rushing.

Tactical X's and O's question, but Shamire seems to be pulling a lot. First, that is impressive for a guy his size, but second, is the opposition afraid to play someone over him? And if so, is this CPJ's counter to that?

Most teams don't have a guy big enough to play over Shamire period. I think that is something that CPJ likes because he can do a lot of different things with him in the run game because he moves so well and they like mixing Trey Klock in as well because he is very mobile.

1. How did JHD look to you in his return to football?

I thought he played well. He has a good nose for the ball and is very solid with his tackling. He gets upfield a little too much at times and needs to get more of a push in some pass rush situations, but he is showing some flashes.

2. Do Devine look like he as improved since last year?

Yes, Shamire looks better, he played really well last year though off the bench. I don't think people realize how much he was grinding up DLs last year.

3. All the AB'S looked aggressive running the ball, what is your opinion on this group?

I think there is a lot to be excited about for the future with this group. They have a ton of talented guys and each one can have a good role in the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News