ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 3/25

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
When CBG was the coach I thought he got a commitment from a really young center (maybe sophomore). I think he was out of Denver. Who was that person and are we still involved with that guy.

Oh god, you are testing my memory Assane Diouf and the reason I never reported it was it was a sketchy situation with Mamadou like the Taco Fall deal. He was basically placed in Mamadou's care. He is a 2019 or 2018 kid and it appears no one is recruiting him. That whole deal was probably the creepiest thing I've seen covering GT and as most of you recall I refused to even report the story because I didn't think it was on the up and up.

When will the guys leave for NYC and what might there schedule be?

They leave Monday morning and will practice up there and do some media. Game Tuesday, if they win they'll stay up there and play Thursday in the championship.

Is another big man to help lammers a main priority for coach pastner as of now?

That or a stretch 4 to replace Quinton Stephens are the two keys either via transfer or the 2017 class.

Total shot in the dark but is there any chance we look into Chase Jeter as a potential transfer guy? I know its a super long shot realistically but I figured I'd ask

He'd have to sit two years, you can't transfer inside the conference without sitting two years unless you are a graduate transfer.

Is Pastner considering any transfers at this time? If so, can those names be released?

Not any names they want public right now. They are looking around. Josh is very hesitant with the transfer thing because unless they are grad transfers it may hurt 2018 recruiting.

Did you give Russ Wood the idea to include C-Matt in his article on who BG looks at to start filling his roster at USF? Pretty interesting notion and one I can buy in on. Could help both parties.

I did and it makes a ton of sense because if he is struggling the school there is easier and they need scoring badly because they are short on scholarship players and likely will be self imposing a lower scholarship limit for a year or two.

Going into Spring camp which position groups do feel the best about? Concerned the most about? And why on each? Your very early thoughts on the opening game v TN?

I won't go into the Tenn game because I don't know enough about what is going on up there this spring. They have a lot of pieces being replaced as well so I'll chime in later on that.

Position groups I feel best about is DL, I like the depth and mixture of experience. I think they will improve a lot. Biggest concern is linebacker. Aside from Brant Mitchell I'm not sold on how the others will fit in.

What kind of year did Alvarado and Haywood have? How confident is the staff that Alvarado can step in and be the man next year?

Alvarado was named 1st team all region in his area and led his team to the quarterfinals. He had 20 pts, 9 reb and 5 dimes in his final HS game. I haven't seen his overall numbers but it sounded like 20, 5 and 6+

Haywood's team won the National Prep Championship I'll see what's doing.

GT is also poking around with Haywood's teammate PG Michael Okauru who is committed to UF but not signed for 2017.

Will GT be in a holiday tournament next year

They may not because of the trip to China. I'll ask about Josh about it after the NIT.

Do you think Tech BB will play USF anytime soon?

That would be funny. It may be bundled in the football schedule for them to play anyway. USF is probably going to be bad for several years so that is in Josh's wheelhouse and he wants to recruit some down there.

Do you think Shaq Mason's play for New England will: 1) help our recruitment for Offensive Linemen and 2) get our Offensive Linemen drafted more often?

It has helped somewhat already. Kids are mentioning that because PJ can point to two NFL OLs and if Freddie Burden gets in that will be three including two he recruited.

On the second part, yes, but it will always be either guards or centers. The tackles are very unlikely to get looked at with the way the scheme is set up unless they play TE or H-back in the NFL.

What's the deal with Christian Matthews?

He is still in the program and hasn't been released from his LOI as far as I know. I know he was struggling with some academic stuff and some personal stuff so Josh shut him down the year. I have a feel he may leave.

Do we win the NIT?

Honestly I don't know. I thought they'd lose in Oxford. I think it sets up well for GT, but the championship game will be a tough one if GT gets there. UCF has some nice pieces and TCU was pretty athletic.

Do you think we will be a better bball team next year?

If everyone stays healthy yes. They will add some shooting and probably an all-around upgrade with a more experience Moore at PG and Alvarado at PG.

What upperclassmen would you predict to breakout next year in football?

Terrell Lewis is the guy I'm really interested in along with Anree Saint-Amour. Those two have the most potential to really breakout. Lewis has NFL type skills as does Saint-Amour but both have not shown the consistency to start yet.

Do we have enough scholarship OLs to play two lines during the spring game?

Yes.

LINE 1
LT- Lee
LG- Braun
C- Cooper
RG- Bryan
RT- Marshall

LINE 2
LT- Stickler
LG- B. Morgan
C- S. Morgan
RG- Devine
RT- Bailey Ivemeyer (Walk-on)

Is Shamire Devine participating in offseason fitness sessions as though he is committed to playing this Fall?

I've gotten some mixed responses, he struggled with the coaches' runs. He is not in good shape right now.

Do all the players listed in the 2018 Football Offer List have commitable offers? Thanks for all that you do.

In the one that we post, yes. If it comes into question we will have a note on there like the offer is not committable.

I know it's kinda a longs ways to go but if GT were to sign with Addidas or Nike apparel what are some of the good things both companies bring to GT?

Gear for the players and more stuff in stores. I think that is the biggest thing. There isn't much variety to stuff aside from going to the physical bookstore or my webstore. The money won't be the windfall people expect those days are over for schools unless they sell boatloads of gear.

Will Tech basketball play anywhere in central Florida in the next couple seasons? USF, UCF, etc.?

I would guess yes, I'm not into future hoop scheduling and it isn't done the same way as football where you have teams signed up for 2021 or whatever. It is much more yearly. I'd expect a road trip to USF or UCF in the future for recruiting. The only games I know of are Georgia Tech/UCLA in China and Indiana in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge, wonder if it will be in Assembly or McCamish...

Same question for baseball?

Again not my area of expertise, but USF baseball is really good right now so that might be interesting for GT for a home and away.

What is your personal "Way Too Early Coastal Division Football Projections" as far as end of the season standings go?

As of today,
1. Miami
2. Georgia Tech
3. VaTech
4. Pitt
5. Duke
6. North Carolina
7. Virginia

I think UNC will fall off a cliff, still have no defense and lost so much on offense. If VaTech gets some QB play, they will be formidable, but Miami is really dangerous and Richt is a much better coach than they've seen down there since Erickson.

Can you find out more about when they will announce the new apparel deal? I figured they would have announced since the deal would start in 2018. I'm thinking it will be Nike and bball would use them starting in Nov and football would get the news ones in sept 2018.

Not really, the school doesn't want to talk about it because nothing is in place and they are still fielding offers. It would not be a big deal to switch uniforms in basketball in Jan of 2018 either.

Any word on Roberts Blumbergs?

He is supposed to OV to Georgia Tech sometime in the next six weeks. I'll check with my guy on the specific date.

Curious if you know what CPJ's opinion is about how CJP is drumming up recruits and excitement for the program and if he sees the benefit of CJP's approach. Don't expect him to change how he is but wonder if he sees value in what Josh brings to the table.

He likes Josh and respects what he is doing. Remember PJ was with Erik Russell when they started Georgia Southern football so he knows what you have to do to drum up interest. He isn't that type personality wise, but he likes the success they've had and appreciates someone helping drive revenue outside the football program.

What jobs do you think Pastner would leave GT for?

A blueblood like Arizona his alma matter or someone like that (UCLA, UNC, Duke, Kentucky), that's about it. I think he loves recruiting so I'm not sure the NBA interests him.

When will specifics for the 2017 BB season opener in Shanghai be released? Specifically, I'm looking for the local (China) date for the game, and the arena, and if possible, the team hotel. I don't think the date has been announced yet, but I am planning a trip and any specifics would be helpful. Without a game date, it would be great if you could use some of your behind the scenes magic to determine what they are planning for team travel dates.

Not sure, but I'm interested as well. My wife wants to go but I feel like it will be Nov. 10th based on the timing from last year, but I'll check into it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News