ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 2/12

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
How do you rank this years recruiting class against others under cpj

This is among his best, 2010 was pretty special even though a lot of those guys didn't quite pan out for various reasons like Denzel McCoy's heart issue or Charles Perkins' injury issues. Last year was also a great class so I think 2010, 2017 and 2018 have been among his best hauls.

Are you at liberty to say who was the possible #4 commit for NSD #2?

They were messing with several kids, but I feel like there is no upside talking about it now.

I somehow missed and can't find the date/time for the Spring game. When is it?

You haven't missed it, it hasn't been announced yet. According to the SID staff they are going to announce soon once everything is 100-percent sure. There is a lot that goes into it like staffing and whatnot so all of that has to be in place before announcing it.

Does Pastner survive? How much, if at all, will this year's complete shit storm set back the "complete rebuild" timeline?

An interesting question, if he is clean like he claims to be, GT will stand behind him. That is the ultimate question right now, are there any skeletons looming and if he hasn't told GT about them, he is toast IMO. I believe Josh, he has told me to my face he did nothing wrong, so I'll stand by that until evidence is presented to the contrary. As far as recruiting goes, hard to say. They have a lot of elite kids interested, they need to win next year and are set up to do so from a roster standpoint. They should be on the bubble at worst next year IMO looking at the roster. Okogie will have a chance to be a top 15 pick after 2018-19 as well if he is healthy and his game progresses.

Maybe said another way, how much does all the drama around CJP filter down to recruits and directly impact recruiting, or is it mostly internet fodder for those of us following GT daily?

Hard to tell right now because kids are not making decisions yet or even doing hard trimming of lists. We will know a lot more late spring and early summer as key targets trim their lists. If GT can't make the top five for guys like Marcus Watson, there is a serious problem.

What are your thoughts on how well we closed this years recruiting class?

I think the early signing period worked out perfectly because GT closed guys like TK Chimedza or Austin Smith who may have ended up with big SEC/ACC offers late because of coaching changes and GT also was able to replace someone like C'Bo Flemister with a guy who literally the next guy on the board in Christian Malloy. Normally that would've been a bit of a mess and you'd end up maybe with something worse or having to sit on a ship. They got all 85 filled and any additional spots can be used by potential grad transfers instead of wasting spots on a guy who was may C or D rated on your board unlike what schools like FSU or Tenn had to do in scramble mode.

Do you think the recent story will hurt CJP in recruiting?

Ehhh, there are many coaches with worse reps or whose personalities are more of a problem and they still sign kids. Honestly GT sort of sells itself in many ways with the type of kids that CJP has to recruit. The craziness of the Ron Bell situation isn't really having any impact on recruiting so far. As long as his tenure seems safe and he has Stansbury's backing it should be a minimal effect.

Do our football players get to go to other sporting events for free or discounted?

I believe the men's basketball tickets are free, students get free tickets for everything but football. The football players get their tickets to give away for football games. Or were you asking about like Hawks or Braves? There is no discount for players for any of those things unless it is something school wide or a sanctioned outing by the team as a whole.

Is there a possibility to get interviews with our early enrollees after their first month in classes/workouts?

Nope, we are not allowed to interview freshmen until they play in their first game under the current rules. T.K. isn't working out really because of his surgery so that leaves JaQuez Jackson, Charlie Thomas and Tijai Whatley. I can ask about them if you'd like though.

Are you hearing any rumblings of gains some players are making in the weight room this offseason?

Not particularly but I've been pretty hyper focused on recruiting for the last month.

Could we get CAM to recruit for us in basketball too? Or at least hold a class on how it is done and how you close the deal?

LOL, CAM would want nothing to do with basketball recruits and the AAU coaching circus.

Despite all of the off the court issues and on the court struggles this season there has still been a good bit of fan excitement around the B-ball team, I for one have been very optimistic until the last two games unfortunately. Has the team checked out after the recent news or are they gonna fight till the end?

I think you saw the fight you were looking for against Duke. I think Louisville is a bad matchup for them right now and Clemson is pretty good.

Personally I like CJP and do think he's a good coach, he's brought excitement back into the program. With that being said he has obviously put himself in some precarious situations, if your TS what do you tell him? Are you angry, are you sympathetic, or do you simply say make better choices or do you let him go and start over fresh?

Stansbury is a very level-headed guy, he will wait and see how this plays out. That is in the best interest of GT for a variety of reasons including financials (you can only fire Josh if it is for cause otherwise you'd be paying 3 ex-basketball coaches).

Football signee you are most excited to see take the field?

Jaylon King is the one I think could make an immediate impact at CB.

Who is this seasons Robbie Godhigh?(walk on or someone not highly touted that makes a name for themselves)

A guy who may really benefit from the change is Tyler Merriweather, he will get a clean slate and this defense fits him better as a stand up pass rusher. Guys who were buried or seem to be in the doghouse under Roof's staff like Chris Martin or Jakob Brashear or whatnot.

What is the status of CAM and will we retain him? Any other possible staff changes? Any notable players missing spring training due to injury?

I don't see CAM going anywhere right now. On other staff changes, depends on what CPJ wants to do. I could see him bringing in an analyst or two if the money/desire is there, think Bryan Cook and a defensive equivalent.

As far as injuries, TK, AJ Gray and Andrew Marshall are the only ones I'm uncertain about right now being cleared. PJ made it sound like TK was definitely out. AJ and Andrew are both coming off surgeries but I have no idea what their timetable is for spring right now.

Any idea how big of an impact Ja'Quon Griffin's signing with GT will have on Jamious Griffin?

Got to offer Jamious first, I think that would help. In all seriousness, it should help but I didn't get the vibe they are tied at the hip from talking to both of them recently.

How soon do the new recruiting staff get going - they are interviewing now correct? So they start as soon as we can find the right hires?

The green light has been given to proceed with the hires, so they are starting up the interview process. CPJ gave the staff some time off after NSD 2.0 so I expect things to heat up this week. I know they got flooded with applications and resumes after CPJ's comments that they were hiring people last Wednesday.

Watched Auburn beat UGAg and got me thinking about the Adidas problems that involved them and several other schools. What is happening there? At the time it came out, was said to be huge, but hearing nothing now.

The wheels of justice turn slowly, it is a federal court case so it will move at a glacial pace. The NCAA really isn't that involved yet because they have to use the evidence gathered by the Feds against the schools and coaches since they have no power to collective evidence themselves.

With the fundraising effort being ahead of target, is there a chance that we might expand the amount of support staff being hired?

Unlikely, but I'll ask.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News