Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

Happy 2024 JOLers.

Since we're at year's end:
  • Favorite Tech-related moment in 2023?
KQ- Probably the bowl win because that cleared a lot of frustration leftover from the past five years and really going back to the Gator Bowl. The most memorable moment was the Miami game of course.
  • Favorite JOL-specific meme in 2023?
KQ- The wolf of wall street one the other day. I can't remember the context but it made me laugh.
  • Three words to describe the 2023
KQ- Hope for 2024
  • One reasonable prediction for 2024
KQ- Georgia Tech will go to a second straight bowl game for the first time since 2014
  • One flaming hot take for 2024
KQ- There will be a major push for the P5 to create a super conference with an NFL-type TV deal pushed by congress (gulp)

How does GT Bball feel about our chances with Oswin Erhunmwunse? Is it just 25% (one of the 4) or is there a leader?

KQ- @Russell Johnson

Every coach in the country is having to "play the game" that is the insanity of college football right now with HS recruiting, the portal, conference realignment, etc, even if it's gotten out of control well beyond many coaches' comfort levels. How many of them honestly feel like "this isn't what I signed up for". It is what it is, a lot of it had been going on under the table for years, but it's reached an insane level that seems to worsen and spiral further and further each year. Is there a point where the coaches might say enough is enough and demand change? If not the coaches, then who? Obviously the coaches benefit from the insanity by way of more lucrative contracts, but when does it reach the point that they are doing so much more than coaching football that enough of them come together and say something has got to change, this has got to stop. Wes Durham insinuated on X a couple of weeks ago that the coaches hold the power to bring about change and when we start listening to them, we might be able to get all this mess fixed. Do you see a day coming when coaches rise up to fix college football?

KQ- As I said above, I think we are at an inflection point with all of this and I think there will be some realignment with the P4 banding together and creating their own way of handling shit outside of the NCAA. How that looks, I am not sure. But everything that is happening is chipping away at fandom sort of like the 1994 baseball strike. They need to get ahead of it.

Bet a coke.. Is there still an ACC 5 years from now?

KQ- My gut says yes, but it will be different than what you are thinking, see my above comments.

Follow up from a mailbag a few weeks ago:

How do flyovers for games get coordinated? Is that something GT requests and pays for? Who decides what gets flown and from what branch?

KQ- I'm not really sure. I think they are requested by the school and then coordinated with the closest military base. Usually, there are some fans or connections within the base. If you've noticed when GT does it there will be a GT alum or a lifelong GT fan who is one of the pilots they bring back at halftime to stand on the field.

Could we see a list of the FB transfers (to Tech) for next year. Thx.

KQ- By position

TE- Ryland Goede (Miss State), Jackson Hawes (Yale)
OL- Keylan Rutledge (MTSU)
DE- Jack Barton (Furman)
DL- Ayobami Tifase (FSU)
LB- Jackson Hamilton (Louisville)
LB- E.J. Lightsey (UGA)
CB- Warren Burrell (Tenn)
CB- Syeed Gibbs (Rhode Island)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews