ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 9/18 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

What did you think of the significant former NBA Jackets chiming in on Jaeden Mustaf's commitment?

Dennis Scott appeared to have been at the commitment ceremony.

Chris Bosh narrated the commitment video.

Jarrett Jack filmed a welcome video.

KQ- Damon is in their fraternity and I think they know and respect him and want to help so that is huge in my book. They need to get some more studs into the NBA before kids forget who Bosh and Jack are. We are close to that already.

Can there be anything done to fix the ads/videos on the mobile site that appear on every page?

They auto play which starts/stops my music, and makes it a lot harder to discretely look at the site at work ;).

They're ads for other/national rivals articles usually, but I kind of assumed that with a paid subscription I wouldn't have to look at these invasive ads (NOTE: I'm not talking about the site sponsors like Intelica)

KQ- So they've launched some sort of AD thing that I have no control over. You can pay an extra $2/monthly to get rid of it apparently. I'll share more details soon. I'm annoyed but could use the extra money so I can't be too annoyed.

Can you think of a recent program or programs like ours that a new building actually made them get to the next level. Meaning a team that is usually around 6 wins and then a building put them in the top25?

Also can you think of teams that got the nice new building and nothing has changed for them.?

KQ- Not since NIL started. The reality is most places are similar and then there are a few insane ones like Oregon or Bama or a few others that are palaces to football or hoops more specifically than say something like the new Edge that was supposed to be an overall building but appears to be shifting to more of a football+ building.

Will baseball add any more players before the season? Maybe I missed some summer adds, but it seems like pitching will still be a pretty big deficiency even with the current portal additions.

KQ- @Russell Johnson

Would it be possible to share the level of interaction between the GTAA and Deion Sanders pre-permanent hire? Which side backed off from moving forward and why? I feel like so much about this interaction is opined about on this board without knowing all the facts of how it went down.

KQ- Deion's main contact person had some informal conversations with some GT people and that was about it. It was never going anywhere, not a cultural fit and cutting all those kids would never fly here either. Colorado was so desperate to win they were willing to do anything because they were worse than GT for a really extended period of time with one good season mixed into about 20 bad ones.

- If you were to rank the reasons in order of importance of why the initial Edge building plan was revamped, and the choices were:

1. Distancing from Stansbury/Collins influence
2. Ability to spend more funds on SA services, technology, or infrastructure
3. Presidential level directive
4. Material/labor inflation costs
5. JBatt/Key wanting to put their stamp on the project
6. Design issues from initial plan

How would you rank it?

KQ- from most important to least my thought it 4, 2, 5, 6, 1 and I doubt 3 was a factor.

How many former players are engaged and support the football program?(Mostly Money support and attending games) The oldest to the most current former players.

KQ- I have no idea, someone like @RP76 could probably give you a better insight into where that stands or Trey Braun.

Anyone know if Maloof's Tavern out east North Ave. is tied to or the Geo Maloof player we had back in the '40's. Just curious.........go GWG

KQ- Are you talking about Manuel's Tavern and no, Manuel Maloof never went to college.

What is going on with the conditioning of the team? It seems like players are constantly going down this year.

KQ- It is not unique to GT, I've seen this across college football.

When will the basketball schedule be finalized. OOC opponents and ACC game dates?

KQ- The non-conference schedule has been done for some time, they were waiting on one last contract to announce it. I found out a few weeks ago that the ACC will announce the full schedule on Sept. 26th, but it was not for public consumption. Rothstein tweeted it last week so I can share the info now.

I’m not calling for anyone’s job since we’re only a quarter through the season, BUT can you remind me how willing Key may be to make staff changes during the off season (or sooner) to get better results.

KQ- He let people go he was friends with this past cycle. He cares about winning and I doubt he will tolerate much in the way of that goal.

What changes would you make to improve the play on defense?

KQ- I'd start trying out some different guys at LB/S/CB to shake things up and see who can play. Some guys are better in games.

In your opinion, how much of the defense’s apparent drop off in play in the second half is due to lack of adjustments, lack of depth, or just overall lack of talent? I personally believe they all play a role but curious what you think.

KQ- Injuries, depth and experience are all issues at some spots in varying degrees.

* 22 touches for Jamal Haynes on Saturday. I love what he brings to the table, but at his size do you think he can maintain performance the entire season with that level of workload?

KQ- I think he can handle it, he is not Malik or Christian's size, he is a thicker guy just short. He can't be a 25+ touch guy though.

* Thoughts on punting down 10 points with seven minutes left? I don't think CBK felt he was conceding anything with that decision, but at the same time it just seemed like a poor decision from any angle...particularly with the way the D was playing.

KQ- That worked in the VaTech game a year ago, he trusted his defense to make a play and they did. I think they did not like whatever the offensive options were at the time and opted to play it conservatively and let the D get the ball back. It was a mistake in hindsight, but if they get a stop and get better field position back, people are saying what a great coaching decision it was. You can't win sometimes unless it works out with fans.

What happened to JOL staff picks for this current season?

KQ- I haven't had time to do them. RJ would have to take the lead on it.

Am a great believer in the LOS winning or losing games for you. Do we have miles to go or are we getting close to having competitive LOSs?

KQ- The OL is playing good enough to win games and the DL is pretty close they just need more production, neither have been a major probably other than two plays in the Louisville game for the LT.

Great news about landing Mustaf. Russell’s post about it implied that commitments of other elite prospects are soon to come. What time frame is he thinking and how many does CDS aim to sign?

KQ- @Russell Johnson

More @Russell Johnson
How has our offensive output so far been viewed by offensive recruits?

Figured Ole Miss was a big test in their eyes.
Do you think they are going to start throwing the ball a little more?

KQ- Maybe, the offense is based on a lot of RPO concepts and checks at the LOS based on the defensive look with Buster or Haynes making a call.

I can’t really tell if running more than passing is the call of Key or Buster.

KQ- Brent isn't dictating anything in the game plan. I guess you haven't watched the guy who Buster worked for the last few years as an OC ever at UGA.

I think we can use the short passing game to supplement running the ball up the middle some and get our guys in space to make one guy miss instead of 2 or 3.
If it’s not there then King can take off and slide for 5-7.

KQ- That only works if the defense is in certain looks. You can't just decide to do X, Y or Z it is based on the type of defense you are lined up against. Unless you have a team of Calvin Johnson level dudes and Jah's at RB you are going to call around what the defense gives you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News