ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 9/12 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1660532461835.png

Think this has been asked before and sorry if I missed the answer, but why don’t we brand Megatron and the GT connection- now an NFL HOFer and the GOAT at WR? Sounds like he spends his time at USC-E now. Do you have any knowledge behind that?

KQ- D-Mo and his relationship with Calvin is why he is spending time at SC. I don't know how much time he actually spends there because he owns multiple businesses and has charity things he does as well so I would not characterize it as he spends his time in Columbia, SC, but rather he has attended some games there.

Was the starting oline vs Clemson what we should expect to see for the remainder of the year(barring injuries) or were a couple of predicted starters still coming injuries and playing limited snaps?

KQ- No, I think that is going to be evolving through the season especially as Pierce Quick and Paul Tchio get healthier and they figure out the OT rotation more. I think it will take a few more games before you see the true rotation. Tchio for example couldn't really run until into fall camp by his own admission. That is sort of a major issue stamina-wise for him.

Any indication on when Leo and Dylan will be available?

KQ- I mentioned this elsewhere but I expect Leonard back very soon per my sources. Leo's timetable was sometime before the bye week per my sources, but I'm not sure how that is tracking, to be honest. That is not something I dig too hard on. He is a guy who has never played a snap of college football. If he is making or breaking the season they are in deep trouble IMO.

What is the general consensus among the recruits that attended the game at MBS? Did the final score have much bearing on their feelings regarding GT? Which kids are coming to The Flats on Saturday night?

KQ- @Russell Johnson seemed to have skipped this.

1. What’s the general mood in the athletic department this month? Excluding the athletic director and football staff.

KQ- It varies like any business. You would need to be more specific than that. I can't tell you how person X feels or some department because I don't work there and don't often deal with people outside of a very specific subset in sport communication and some assistant and associate ADs. It is a major business, there are always going to be varying opinions on things.

2. Let’s say Stansbury decides to retire of his own accord on Monday. How long would the search for the next AD take?

KQ- If you were starting at square one maybe a month or two. I think if there is a move made MY OPINION is there will be a few candidates vetted and a decision quickly and it will be done quietly. Despite what people think ADTS, I can't envision GT throwing him under a bus either. That is as much as I am comfortable saying.

1) I have seen a lot of fans agreeing on a theme since Monday, which was that this game made them feel much better about the team but more negatively about Collins. I thought that was a fair sentiment based on what we saw. Do you think that is a fair take?

KQ- The team has clearly bonded and wants to be better. Collins impact on that is something fans will enjoy debating. Again I like to see a few games before I make any judgements on where a program is at. I think people quickly forget the 2015 season when both Paul Johnson and myself on here kept warning everyone the wheels were coming off the wagon or 2014 or 2016 when I thought they would be pretty good. Given the uneven play under Collins week-to-week it is harder to gauge where things are at.

2) We all know that improvements on “the game within the game” will be a major key to whether the program can finally level up in 2022. The TV broadcast was not shy in taking Geoff to task for his strategy and his logic explaining it, and lots of recognizable names around CFB are starting to make a punchline out of it. So…

A) Where is your personal level of concern in that area as you watch games unfold?
and
B) Surely coach sees how many people have questioned him in this area by now, and knowing that buttoning everything up was going to be a focal point, how do you think the “strategy piece” keeps slipping through the cracks?

KQ- I have thought he has been much better this year other than the second half of the Clemson game. I think he had some snafus in the past and some of that had to do with the old OC IMO and some of it had to do with him not trusting his D.

Kevin Harris only had 11 snaps but his PFF was an 82. He was behind Kenard with 42 snaps and a 60 PFF and Noah with 24 snaps and a 59.7 PFF. Is it safe to assume Harris will get significantly more snaps going forward? If not why?

KQ- He played zero snaps and did not play in the WCU game so I will assume he got hurt either in the Clemson game or after that. I saw Grey Carroll playing some rush end in warm-ups. Noah Collins and Kyle Kennard played all the snaps.

Is there 2 way interest between Daniel Martin and Tech now that he’s in portal?

RJ- No

KQ- They did not really recruit him the first time either. He is basically Charlie Thomas without the speed and perhaps not the best attitude.

For you and Russell, is this a stressful time with the fan base considering the uncertainty of the future of our program?

KQ- I think I've been evaluating everything in my life these days. As I am getting older I have enjoyed the stress of some of this less and less. Clawing and fighting for business, having GT fans walk away at times because of them being mad at the product, and dealing with the Bama site launch. It is a lot.

I’d imagine a coaching change is a great time for business for those running a message board like this.

It’s why I’m here. I signed up during the coaching search for Collins and I’ve been a member for 4 years now.

KQ- Coaching searches are how you can exponentially grow a site. The change last time allowed me to bring Russell on, but it is VERY stressful.

Can you speak to the limited snaps for Kaleb Edwards or is that subject off limits?

KQ- I believe he has been dinged. He did not play any defense against WCU and he played just a handful of snaps against Clemson and was basically limited to some special teams duties.

Will there be a JOL lunch this season?

KQ- I would like to do it. The launch of the season was sort of a mess for me so I could not schedule it easily.

Prior to game 1 you said O Line was the area that was the big mystery. Now that we played a game does O Line concern you most or has another area of the team moved ahead?

KQ- It is still a major work in progress. I need to see them against multiple teams before I can make that call, ask me after UCF.

Before the season started you said that you felt bullish on the team to win 6+ games, after seeing the team in action and seeing some in-season practices do you still feel the same way?

KQ- Yes, I have said I felt more confident after watching fall camp and fall practices and talking with sources. If they don't get there barring some significant injuries that is a big red flag IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News