ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 7/18 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

Now that it's approaching a year, can you confirm the number of moles Goober had lurking on JOL to do QC for his catch phrase brainwashing? I'm thinking the dude who demanded I stop calling him "Scooter" but then picked up his ball, canceled his sub and left as he was mocked mercilessly was one of them.

KQ- I'm unsure there are a handful of people who disappaered right after the firing and the coaching changeover that seemed to be defending the previous regime.

Which of the transfer players that came in after the spring game looks most ready?

KQ- Dominick Blaylock certainly looks the part. Eddie Kelly is also a big dude.

Can you reset the hoops roster & projected lineup now that Sacko is onboard?

KQ- Sure

PG- Sturdivant, Abram, Terry, Forrest
SG- Kelly, Abram/Coleman/Terry, Murphy+ walk-on
SF- Reeves/Coleman, Gapare, Sacko
PF- Reeves/Claude, Gapare, Ndongo
C- Claude/Dowuona, Ndongo

The lineup can size up and down depending on who they are playing and performance. I think they will play four out and one in as the base on offense meaning that Reeves or Coleman can defend 4 through 2 on D and Kelly can defend 2-3 as well so you could even see a lineup with Sturdivant/Abram, Terry/Kelly, and a mix Coleman/Kelly/Reeves with one post player. I think Reeves will be interesting as I think they will have to play him up because of his athleticism. If Gapare or Dowuona turn it on then that changes the math a little.

Where do you think we will finish in the acc this fall. Can’t believe we picked close to bottom pack.

KQ- I'm going to work on a prediction for next week's ACC Media thing. I'll have a better idea after I talk to some of my colleagues about their teams.

If you were J. Batt, what are some fundraising events that you would have that are targeted towards the average GT fan? Not the big time donors.bie. Paid facility tours w/players, etc.

KQ- I think you could bring back the lunch with George thing but make it NIL driven. Have a price per head that includes a meal and a drink and Key talks about this week's game or whatever closed doors. Legally you can't have tours of locker rooms and idiots walking through there that paid $25. There are things in the locker room hanging up like medical notes or people's personal property or guys trying to use the cold/hot tub in states of undress that are not approriate for you all. The offices have things like the recruiting board or the actual current depth chart hanging up or diagramed plays. You can't have random ass people walking through there IMO.

And is J. Batt currently planning any that you know of?

KQ- They are always working on things. He is trying to figure out how to shake every dime out of the couch.

Any indications as to CDS’ style in terms of substitutions? Does he use a 6-7 man rotation or does he tend to go deeper?

KQ- We have no clue. His only prior head coaching job was a school where he had limited talent. I would assume how he feels about the team will dictate how he uses his bench. If they are 11-deep then he probably will play them. My guess is the rotation will be in no order Sturdivant, Abram, Terry, Kelly, Coleman, Reeves, Claude and Dowuona and either Gapare or Ndongo out of the gate. I think only one of those two plays a lot probably Gapare and Ndongo and Sacko ride the bench while they are developed.

Will the first play of the season be a run or a pass?

KQ- Play-action pass

Which of the following acc teams on the football schedule are winnable? Probable? Any commentary would be appreciated
-Lou
-Virginia
-Cuse
-WF
-UNC
-BC

We got 2 guaranteed wins with SCSU and BG. We need to win 4 out of those 6 to make a bowl. None of those programs are world beaters. For all of the hype on key’s staff and the team’s discipline - feels like batting 67% shouldn’t be asking a lot.

KQ- All of those games are winnable. Louisville, Wake and UNC are the hardest on paper right now. Wake and Louisville have good coaches while UNC has a load of talent. They should beat UVA, Cuse and BC IMO. Louisville has some people picking them to win 10 games while I think they will be in the 6-7 win range.

Mostly a joke, but how does Brent Key feel about the color Navy?

KQ- I doubt he has a strong feeling and I think you will finally see a black jersey under him in 2024 or 2025. Write that down.

I asked about the offense last week. I’m gonna ask you about the DL! Losing keion white hurts but in my eyes I don’t think it was that big of a miss. Out of Noah, Kyle or Kevin do you see them playing with an upside??? I like all 3 to be honest but in my eyes I think them three have a blow out season. Do you agree??

KQ- Marco liked Noah and Kyle enough to recruit them out of HS and both have a lot of talent. Kevin Harris has to be able to play more than third downs and be more than a straight line rusher. Right now Harris remains a 3-4 OLB who can rush in a straight line really well. They put a lot on the rush spot. I would not be shocked to see them size up at times and play with Sylvain and ET as the two ends either.

Is it acceptable journalistic practice now to publish off-the-record conversations with attribution? I know that there has been a lot of debate about whether "bloggers" are actual "journalists", but that seems to be well over the top of what has been journalistic standards for decades.

EDIT: BTW, I don't think Judd is a very credible journalist. I think that article could have made all the points they wanted to make without "quoting" him. I also think that his quote didn't add anything to the article, in fact his statements paint that article as being biased. My question is just about whether it is now acceptable practice to take off-the-record statements and print them, or to not inform a source before he speaks that you won't take off-the record comments.

KQ- Generally you ask can I quote you as an unnamed source or someone will say X, Y and Z is off the record but you can say a source within say the GTAA told me X, Y and Z. That is how you've seen Ken or myself attribute some things at times. I haven't been following the plight of Judd and the AJC very closely, but UGA has their pitchforks out so I hope for that dude's sake he can back everything up or they will get him fired. He was VERY sloppy with how he handled and reported Josh Pastner and the Ron Bell thing and GT should've pushed back on them the way that UGA is now. He was way out of line with publishing all the crazy shit Ron Bell claimed. It was like reading the Daily Mirror.

Why do i get the feeling that Zach Pyron is going to be a good one?

KQ- He is a very calm and collected guy who can lead the offense. He isn't overly gifted in any aspect of his game, but he has great command and leadership skills and he reminds me of a lot of strong college QBs I've seen over the years like George Godsey here or Aaron Murray or David Greene over in Athens that can win with toughness and lead the team that way without having Brett Favre's arm or Michael Vick's wheels. I'll say this as well, his arm strength has improved dramatically in just six months with AJ Artis and the new strength staff and working within the offense. He struggled with his throws to the outside numbers and those are now on the money. If he can keep improving each aspect of his game he has a very high ceiling.

Does Brent Key eventually beat UGA?

KQ- I think Brent will tell you he will want to beat them every year and take over as the dominant program and that is his goal. Whether that happens is hard to predict. They made a great leap ahead by probably putting the second biggest scare in them of any team last year. That got the attention of a lot of people and has helped with recruiting as well.

Does Rivals have overarching policies an procedures which might kick in with the treatment Judd is getting from the UGA Site? It seems like they're doubling down on a losing side - so I was curious at what point - if any - does rivals editorial control come into play?

KQ- I'm sure there is something. We've had some issues over the years that have been handled internally and I've seen someone removed from their job but that was over something very different and very crazy. That isn't a story I can talk about on here. I know all the guys there and they are writing to appease their base and if it was not UGA I doubt it would be on anyone's radar. Hell there are people still defending Pat Fitzgerald. Auburn hired a giant scumbag as a HC there so I'm not going to be the morality police. If someone steps over the line, typically there is a conversation and maybe a story gets deleted. I've been out of the loop for obvious reasons so I can't speak to what the content pieces running on a site I haven't worked for since 2008.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News