ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 6/21 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1655786601189.png

Do you expect that D.J. Moore will have his redshirt burned this upcoming year?

KQ- Out of the box firing this week. As of today, yes. He needs to stay healthy, but I think he can be effective as at least a rotation guy at one of the WR spots.

It was mentioned in one of the other threads that GT Bball is having issues w/NIL funds. Curious where are all the NBA players that we have produced? In general do they financially support and if not why? I know they're probably not any in the nine figures but there should be some well into the eight figures and I would think they would have a vested interest in seeing a resurgence and be willing participants.

KQ- Other than Chris Paul at Wake Forest I cannot think of a lot of rich NBA players or former players that were benefactors to their former school. A lot of Georgia Tech's former players turned NBA stars didn't graduate either and have barely been around the program once guys leave they knew. Guys like Jose Alvarado who is an exception to that are not in a financial position to do much yet.

If you were Todd Stansbury…and a booster just gave you a $40M donation…

1) The first $10M would go to?

KQ- Making sure GT makes their annual budget goals for 2022-23 or paying off any over-the-budget debt.

2) The first phone call (within existing GT personnel) would go to?

KQ- My numbers person to go over what we should do with the money.

3) The first person you would respectfully ask to depart would be from which sports program or AD office?

KQ- No comment, answering this is not helpful.

4) The first football person outside of GT you would call?

KQ- I'd call the AD at Georgia State and let them know GT is buying out of that game in their stadium. LOL

5) The first baseball / basketball person outside of GT you would call?

KQ- I'm not really sure. I would try to find someone to help Pastner with big man recruiting.

Now that all the xfers in are named, could you go down the list and give your prediction on which ones will have an impact in 22 and which ones will be working to get ATL?

KQ- The portal isn't done just to be clear. School has started so these are the kids here for the summer session. You can still add kids all the way up until school starts in mid-August if they are eligible.

QB- Zach Gibson- depth piece could be ATL as a backup.
QB- Taisun Phommachanh- similar to Gibson, has to harness his talent, more in common with SIms as a QB, decent shot to be #2

RB- Hassan Hall- Will be ATL, will play a lot, he is their flex guy because Chip Long actually knows how to use one. He can line up at multiple spots and move around, will be a great change-up piece.
RB- Dylan McDuffie- the replacement for Jordan Mason and Jamious Griffin, he will be ATL, he will push for a lot of PT.

WR- EJ Jenkins- likely starter at one WR spot, if he can play half as good as he looks physically they will be cooking with gas.

TE- Luke Benson- Will be ATL, likely starter or fighting with Peje Harris for it. He is the flex TE that can lineup anywhere, a great mismatch guy to compliment Dylan Leonard.

OT- Corey Robinson- Not sure yet on him, depends on how quickly he learns things whether he will crack the two-deep at OT.

OG/C- RJ Adams- looks the part, he is huge. Learning center and guard and I would expect he could work his way into the two-deep and be ATL at some point.

OG- Pierce Quick- ATL, will be the starting RG.

OG- Paul Tchio- ATL should be the starting LG if he can stay healthy.

RE- Christian Burkhalter- more of a down-the-line guy I think, it will be interesting to see if he can find a role on sub packages in the short term. They have some depth at rush end at the moment. Has come in with a more humble attitude so that should help him. He has talent.

DT- Daniel Carson- Raw, if they get something from him this year or next great, if not he gives them an older body to practice with. He has a little bit of the Antonneous Clayton vibe going on, looks great and doesn't show it on film yet.

NB- Khari Gee- If he continues to develop he should be ATL and in the nickel rotation with Kaleb Edwards.

CB- Kenny Bennett- WIll play CB or NB, looks great, hard worker, they needed some depth at CB and I think he will be ATL and a good special teams piece and in the CB rotation. Where will depend on his fall camp.

CB- Ahmari Harvey- I think he is a year away from contributing right now. I don't see him being ready for ATL.

CB- Eric Reed- I have no clue on this one and the staff per my sources won't know until they see him in camp. He has a lot talents and can play multiple spots.

Russ this is a baseball question that stems from the last Q&A, you mentioned the pressure will be on if they get certain players back. Who are they expecting back?

RJ- This is going to keep changing on a fairly regular basis as the draft nears. Smoke screen season is among us, but at the same time it is fairly obvious that Kevin Parada is not on that list.

It is highly unlikely that Zach Maxwell, Tres Gonzalez, Andrew Jenkins, and Chandler Simpson all return to school.

Tim Borden appears to be where the discussion really begins. Marquis Grissom Jr. impressed at times during the combine last week, and could see his stock rise if he is able to become more consistent mechanically. Others I am watching closely include Jake DeLeo, Drew Compton, Sammy Crawford, Stephen Reid, and possibly even Chance Huff.

Depending on the departures, landing a high-profile hitter may be a *top* top priority to be able to be ready to compete next season given the amount of youth on the roster.

Chuck Oliver said he didn’t know why a kid would transfer to GT because they have to take Calculus. Do you think they will ever change this? Could they make easier classes for athletes or is this not a big deal like the negative recruiters make it seem?

KQ- It is unlikely to change unless there is a new school that does not have it as a prereq. It is pretty much impossible to change that requirement otherwise and to date they have no despite pretty much every coach in my life wanting it to go away.

Is it a big deal, my brother was recruited to play football at Georgia Tech in 1988-89. He was a great student with AP Math credits and offers from Ivy's and other programs throughout the South. He would not go to GT because of the math requirement. It was a dealbreaker for him along with not having anything close to what he wanted to major in (cartography). Imagine someone not equipped to deal with that. Hell I can't imagine taking it. I tested out of all math at UGA despite being not good at any above algebra and trig.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News