JOL Mailbag 4/8 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

youre good my dude..
first off.. hey handsome
where do you see us landing in the football and basketball rankings these upcoming classes?
whats the word on Hall's retirement exit? if he does retire how do you see that affecting our baseball recruiting?

KQ- Bringing out the big guns. lol

What's the deal with what seems like a lot of basketball players wearing full length compression socks? Is this a medical thing or a style thing? It seems like a style thing with Angel Reese wearing a full length purple sock on one leg only.

KQ- So the theory is the compression increases blood flow in the legs or arms helping with recovery and hopefully helping mitigating muscle strains or the like. They have some that have little knee pads built in as well to help you from banging knees or hitting your knees on the hardwood.

When do you think the TE and DE holes will be filled? After college finals? (transfers after spring ball)

I would think we need 1 transfer at each position.

Most likely a Russell question

KQ- More of a me question. The portal opens April 16th and closes on the last day of April. So not before then. However you don't have to "sign" or get commits in any timetable other than August so you can add guys whenever they are ready to commit. I don't think they are going after a TE either despite Long's injury.

It is appearing there has been a real & accelerated transformation to a quality roster with depth on both sides of the ball (& with the staff) in the short time CBK has been at the helm…really optimistic & excited for the 2024 season & what could be a “special” season on the Flats…not really a question but…temper my expectations

KQ- The schedule is hard on paper and that is the biggest issue. I think it is 10 bowl teams last year on deck and you get Notre Dame and UGA non-conference so that sucks in terms of penciling a win in for a non-conference game. Ga State will be their Super Bowl playing GT so you will get kids playing out of their minds. Other teams improved as well in the offseason and the game in Ireland will be weird because it is game one and in a foreign country.

I'm sure it's nothing but we haven't heard much from LaMiles Brooks this spring. Is he pretty much locked in as the starter or is there competition back there? I was expecting to hear he was having a big spring

KQ- Not much to report on him at the moment. Taye Seymore would be a guy who could push there for some playing time. They do need a third safety and a fourth safety because Tyler Santucci is not in favor of playing starters 60+ snaps anywhere on the field.

Do the coaches have their eyes on any spring football transfers as the portal opens up again soon?

KQ- That would be tampering and that is illegal. There are a few kids in the portal right now who didn't sign or commit, but I expect everyone GT targets with the couple of spots they'll have will enter after the April 16th portal opens and that is going to randomly available talent.

I may have missed it but what happened to Billy Ward? Did he graduate?

KQ- Yes, he participated in Senior Day in the stadium before the UGA game.

What are some good player comps for our bball recruits from the Final 4 teams?

KQ- That is not really my realm of thinking. I don't know Purdue and UConn well enough or NC State to make comparisons. Bama is a different type of team compared to everyone else too.

Do you think Jacob Cruz can have a Jamal Haynes type breakout at his new position this year?

KQ- That is a large ask for a guy who has been at his spot for 10 days. He has a lot of potential and he is getting bigger and bigger. He is like Darren Waller in college sized now. That is why I was shocked he was still at LB when they broke camp. That kid is still growing.

CJ Gamble…related to former GT DT Pat Gamble?

KQ- Could be kin, I'm not sure. I'll have to ask one of them. They follow each other and are from the same area so I would assume they are related.

If you had to guess, what BS or tactics is the MoBS at UNC using to negatively recruit against us when a recruit is considering both UNC and GT?

KQ- If he were smart he would not say anything because Key can just have one of his former players on the team now tell them about him. I would guess he keeps that to himself.

What do you think of there being no cap on number of coordinators and analysts, how can we hope to compete under such a system?

KQ- There is an absolute cap on coordinators and who can actually coach in practice. As far as staff goes, go look at Clemson circa 2018, they had a huge staff back then so did Bama. This is nothing new, GT just wasn't in the game because they lacked space and money.

What are your thoughts on the TE room currently?

KQ- I think Jackson Hawes is pretty good and all-around a very solid TE. Brett Seither is going to be a 20 snaps guy again I would bet, his body isn't capable of playing full games without breaking down. Not sure what to make of Ryland Goede because he had a fluke injury that shouldn't carry over I think it was a hammy or something like that, but they like him and he looked good running around in shorts early on. Jackson Long was having a strong spring so that is a bummer he got hurt. With Luke Harpring and David Prince coming in help give them more depth and I'd bet one of them can play. I'm unsure if they will do anything in the portal because it would be hard to find someone to come in with Hawes, Seither and Goede on the team.

Zach Edey made the comment about not being able to make NIL money bc he’s on a green card? He full of it or is that legit? I know I’ve asked about that with our international players but would this call out in the national media about the situation bring those situations into the light and harder to give them NIL or easier?

KQ- There are limits on what international players can make depending on the type of VISA or how they are in the country. As I've said it is an issue for some kids. I'm sure he is taken care of somehow.

A question for the ill-informed. There must be hundreds of 5.5 3* QBs in the country. How does a staff in GA lock in on a guy like Grady? Not being judgemental on the rating as I trust the staff. More curious on the process to make this call. Tons of film watching? I know a guy that knows a guy?

KQ- Don't put a lot of stock in 5.5 rankings in April. He won't be a 5.5 in a month or two. Weinke went and watched every QB on their board throw live in person during the open period. They target kids early and then narrow the board down through film and interest and then go from there.

Any smoke to the apparel change rumors?

KQ- I expect a new deal. With whom I do not know because the dynamics of those deals have totally changed because of NIL and schools being able to make direct deals with SAs now instead of trying to build relationships just through the school. I have not heard much about what is going on other than there are negotiations ongoing.

Any names to keep an eye on from Kentucky roster/recruits that we have an inside path to for basketball?

KQ- It is all freshmen basically and most will be chasing money and starting jobs GT can't provide. The center from OTE is interesting, but I think they'd rather spend on a veteran guy.

That's the guy. The UK roster being messed up is part of what got Cal pushed out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News