ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 4/18 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1650253426068.png

Will Tech ever be a top 25 team in the Collins era in your opinion?

KQ- Well, the easy answer would be no given the circumstances and the bar they have to clear right now to stick around which my gut says they will. I think the schedule remains really hard as long as you are playing Clemson and UGA every year as that limits your margin or error and they add to that by playing teams like Ole Miss/UCF/Colorado/etc. or ND or sometimes two of those. Again you are stacking things a little bit against yourself. If Collins is here three more years I'd say yes, but this is the critical make-or-break year for him so I'm not thinking about top 25. Hell the team last year could've been a fringe top 25 team going into the final two games had they been more functional on offense and defense and won the four games they lost they should've won NIU, Clemson, BC, and Miami.

I know both would have a negative impact as a whole but in your opinion what would be worse to recruiting-
Another 3-9 season or Coach dismissal?

KQ- I think if they win three games again it would be almost impossible to recruit to that IMO. I think anyone at GT would tell you that and there is no way they'd survive that unless there was some really significant reason why it happened like a catastrophic off-the-field incident like a FlunkGate or something out of their control.

RJ- Going 3-9 again, for sure. Relationships are such a big factor in recruiting, and if GT doesn’t improve their on-the-field product, that level of recruiting that has become normal would be no more.

I saw Jaelin Llewellyn signed with Clemson. He was an early name on the list. Was there any serious discussion with GT? And is there anyone who is a regrettable miss (where GT had a legitimate shot) thus far?

KQ- Both Clemson and GT recruited him out of HS, I think the fit was weird here with Kyle and Deivon already on the team. Clemson has one point guard on their team that was a freshman last year who didn't play and they lost both PGs to the portal so he picked a spot with pretty much a locked-in starting job. I think the only misses so far happened way back in the fall with HS kids they were close to getting. The only kid who had a visit scheduled so far via the portal and didn't make was Will Richard and they ended up taking the same type of player in Lance Terry from the same league.

I know a lot of NIL stuff is at various stages for Tech, but anything about sponsored Coordintor position(s)? I’ve noticed numerous schools have the John Doe Offensive Coordinator and the like. Any rumblings about that at Tech?

KQ- I've asked about this before, there isn't really a ton of momentum for that from the boosters. I know the people I've talked to would rather have the athletic scholarships for football fully endowed first and then look at something like that, but with NIL going I think that kills the momentum for something like that. Most of the boosters I've talked to would rather help the program that way or something tangible like the Edge, baseball upgrades or football facilities rather than endowing a coaching position. The other variable there is the salaries keep going up, so what do you really get out of that, how much do you charge and where does that money go as well.

In one of the write ups about the new athletic facility it mentioned there will be two weight rooms. Does this mean the main weight room under the Wardlaw building is being moved. If not what are these two for.

KQ- No idea, the release I got said one "strength and conditioning facility for football in the new building. I don't see room in the footprint for more than that. The Wardlaw weight room, I have no idea what they are doing with that. Right now they have that one and the one Zelnak Basketball Center that a lot of the Olympic sports use along with both hoops teams. I actually don't know if there are any other ones on campus like for baseball or softball or I just can't remember at this hour. I can ask someone about that when I get a chance.

Are you hearing any info about Season Ticket sales ?

KQ- Down, I have not asked about specifics and I imagine folks would be cagey about that info anyway.

How did Hayden Brown’s OV go? Sorry to hear his USC went well. Any other top of list targets of ours showing strong interest?

KQ- His visit is today.

Will the offensive line NIL deal mentioned in the AJC article help us with possible high profile OL transfers this spring?

KQ- It does not hurt, it depends on the deal and the amount of money involved and the kids they are looking at as well whether it moves the needle a lot or a little. I know that CBK is excited that someone stepped up to do it.

What month do you think it’ll get hot in commitments for GT

RJ- June, for sure. This is the month that historically has been huge for not only GT but schools across the country. Camp season plays a massive role in this.

Want to run a kid you watched in April/May during their spring practice do drills that you have designed for them? June has that.

Want to host a priority target that you know is going to be committed before the season? June has that too.

What about that kid from a poorer part of the state who had never been to a college camp before? June even has that.

With the emergence of the transfer portal, and the amount of spots remaining there, it may be an understatement to say that the coaches are going to be quite busy between now and June.

Evaluating portal entries, offering portal entries, recruiting portal entries, all on top of all the 2023 class evaluating taking place.

If anyone tells you that the month of April/May is a boring one for recruiting, they either haven’t been following recruiting very long, or are just lying to you.

Any updates on position changes from this Spring? Usually, there are a few guys who move around. In addition to that, has there been any talk about possibly moving Deveney to OT with the lack of depth there? He seems to have the body type to make that transition, and TEs finally look good.

KQ- Deveney is coming off a significant shoulder injury, they would not be moving him to OL at this point in the game IMO. Do I expect any other position changes? Not really they move around some of the walk-on kids, but there are not a lot of guys who I think would be better on a different side of the ball right now. The roster has been pruned pretty hard. Typically you see one change like that or two max at some programs and none at most. Peje Harris moving to tight end was really the only big one this offseason so far.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News