ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 2/8 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1612764351026.png

Has there been any word on how Boyd and King have recovered and whether they will be good to go this Spring?

KQ- Good question, I will see what I can find out on Boyd. I know Ryan King is back doing the team workouts.

Would rivals consider a computer program modification that would group for viewing Rivals ( u and rj and ib) plus some Selected Knowledgable posters. I love your sites content.

RJ- Do you see where it says “What’s new” next to the Forums page. Click that.

From there, you should be able to choose “your news feed” which should be a list of the posts from the people you choose to follow on here. That would work for what you are asking about if you went and followed the people you wanted to see...

How do we or anyone for that matter compete? I’m surprised the SEC doesn’t just break off from everyone.

KQ- LOL, I'm not really sure but there are teams making similar money like Texas.

Do you expect Thacker to handle defensive play-calling duties this fall?

KQ- Yes, I have not heard anything to make me think otherwise to this point.

Also, what are your expectations for Jeff Sims in year two?

KQ- Reduction in turnovers, higher completion percentage and quicker progressions in the passing game through the routes. That is what you expect.

Do you expect Jahmyr Gibbs to take another step forward and be a 1st/2nd team All-ACC caliber player?

KQ- Yes, the main competition has sort of cleared out via the draft now for those spots and he got a lot of attention last season in his limited role. I think if they can keep him healthy and keep him fresh for the whole season he will be in the mix for those type of accolades.

1-10 10 being a lock where do we stand with these 22 recruits

RJ- Sam horn 5
Dayne shor 4
Tyler Gibson 3
Horace lockett 6
AT 5

If you were to put a FC in for Jaylon Glover, who would it be for?

RJ- Georgia Tech.

If I understand correctly, we are at 85 scholarship players as of now. I know we are looking at kickers in the portal, and possibly looking to add another "best available" whether it be OL, DL, WR, etc. If we lose say 3-4 more guys after Spring, do you see us using the portal to fill up all of those spots to get us back to full 85? or staying under and only filling it up if there are a couple studs that end up looking for a new home?

KQ- It really depends on who is available in that circumstance. If there is a stud that falls in their lap I think you find a spot, but the bigger issue for GT will be scholarship space for the 2022 class so they can't just fill up on non-1 year transfers. That is why they've held off on adding anything other than a kicker to this point or a player they think is an immediate upgrade/starter out of the box. They've been passing on some kids they would've taken the first two years because of cap space.

I heard Chuck Oliver saying yesterday, while discussing Clemson leaving spots open for the first time in a long while to potentially take in transfers, and he said this year for this class, the 85 doesn't matter due to the extra year for seniors, but the only number that matters is the 25 rule. If so, why am I seeing so many on here concerned about staying under 85? Maybe I am misunderstood?

KQ- Yes I heard Dabo talk about that as well, what he was saying is they need to have some flexibility and not limit themselves by being at the full 85 when they could add a starter or key contributor especially with the unknown factor of injuries. The 85 scholarship cap is still in place, however kids that were seniors in 2020 that stayed at that same school do not count against the cap. GT I think is at 90 scholarship players with five over right now including BJS who I think will leave post-spring unless there are injuries or he suddenly turns into Leonard Fournette at LSU by some odd happenstance.

Can you rate from best to worst your away game experiences at ACC schools? Basically which ones are worth traveling to and which ones should be save you money.

KQ- I assume you mean for football because hoops is a totally different animal. The best trips in the league for all-around experience meaning the atmosphere/crowd/stadium/etc are Clemson, VaTech and North Carolina. I have not been to BC or Cuse for a normal game circumstance just FYI. Clemson and VT are the best game experiences to watch a game especially at night.

The worst for football are Duke (total disinterest from fans), Miami (shitty fans/stadium) and Pitt (slightly better than Duke with worse weather in a giant stadium).

My favorite places to go are different because I love the Triangle area where I was born so I dig going to UNC or NC State (they have quality fan support/environment) and even Wake Forest can be fun and I do like going to VT and UVA for similar reasons like those areas.

For hoops, the best are Duke, UNC, Louisville and ND that I've been to. I have not been to Cuse, Pitt, FSU, VT, UVA or Miami for hoops. BC really sucks for hoops to go to, it reminded me of covering a women's game from the crowd perspective at a non-power women's hoops school.

Hopefully when this stuff clears out I can cross off the rest of my missing schools for hoops.

who do you see as the absolute top of the board player at each position for us?

RJ- This is not confirmed, just (educated) guesses-

RB Antonio Martin
WR DeNylon Morrissette
OL Riley Quick?
DL Horace Lockett
LB Jaron Willis
CB Azareyeh Thomas
S Jake Pope

3 part question.
is Sam horn waiting to be offered in baseball to make a decision?
are y’all hearing that we will offer in baseball?
if we do, does Sam commit immediately?

RJ-
1. I believe he would like to play both sports in college if possible.
2. I have not heard any determination on that. Usually the baseball team is all for it because it is like having a free player out there from a scholarship standpoint. I will look into that this week. The baseball team is aware of him and who he is, though.
3. I don’t believe there is anything that any school could do in his recruitment currently that would lead to an “instant” commitment.

What do kickers and punters do during the off season?

KQ- They have their own workout regimes, some actually do the regular football workout while some like Pressley Harvin did a modified workout. They will get together on their own and kick/punt and work with their snappers on their own time and they usually go in and meet with the staff on their own as well.

Question for RJ. Of the QBs you listed as top targets in the "Next 5" piece, can you rank them in order of most to least likely to sign with GT?

RJ- I cannot, but what I can do is rank them in pairs by my personal preference-

Sam Horn/ Tanner Bailey
Braden Davis / Tayven Jackson
MJ Morris / Davin Wydner

Are we in on Holden Staes? Just decommitted from PSU earlier today.

RJ- No. Not at this point at least.

What's the latest on Peery's former HS teammate who is a massive OL?

RJ- Swanson? I’ll reach out to him this week and see. Miami just offered him last week, but I would say Ohio State leads right now if you made me guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News