ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 12/20 Sponsored by Auto Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1639984765929.png

Does Bonner sign with GT?

RJ- Without a signature before the early signing period, I feel like it is fair for GT fans to worry a bit regarding the status of the four-star Cedar Grove WR’s status.

Bonner showed no signs of wavering or re-considering his decision in the time leading up to last week. Whispers started coming in around Monday afternoon that there may be some “drama” in regards to his signing, but originally it did not seem like it would draw out as long as it has.

Georgia Tech coaches have been active in looking at other potential targets at the position, and it seems like Bonner is evaluating his options as well.

I’ve confirmed that the following schools are showing a level of interest in Bonner-
Colorado
Utah
Virginia
Maryland
Mississippi State

Georgia Tech has used their official visit already, so if they are going to stave off the other schools, both listed and unlisted, they are going to need to do so with unofficial visits and in-homes.

With all of that being said, I say all of this to say that I am not sure if he will sign with GT. I’m not one to do percentages.

Understanding there's still the late signing period and transfer possibilities galore, how would you and RJ grade the early signing class, both from a "in a vacuum" standpoint and considering the debacle that was the season.

KQ- It is still too early to grade it because we don't even fully know which transfers will be in here in January yet. There are still some guys they are working on via the portal. Probably a better question in a few weeks.

Do you physically cringe at this point at the Temple references? I seem to recall you had said you and Ken talked about that during the season. We got another one this week along with a, “People call me an elite defensive coach” thrown in for good measure.

2022 could be the most epic season of pressers yet, and that is saying something.

KQ- I did not have an issue with how he mentioned it at NSD, but yes I cringed in 2019 when he was talking them up like they were Clemson or Georgia and it is something that just isn't that helpful at the moment when you've been here longer with a worse record. I have not really had to deal with this because PJ was not one to bring that up much and Mark Richt who I covered came from being an OC at FSU to UGA. None of the coaches at USF which would be the other school I've covered the most closely talk about their old digs except Jeff Scott who talks about Clemson way way way too much.

Is James BlackStrain showing signs of seeing the field next year? Find it odd that we didn't play him in any of the final games of the year to get him some "burn".

KQ- They were trying to get any points in those last two games on offense, I think that is why you didn't see him or Jamal Haynes. I'd have to go back and look and see if BlackStrain was dressed for the UGA game. They had the flu bug in the WR room pretty hard and guys could barely suit up for the game they were so worn down. I know Adonicas Sanders didn't even warm up just managed to get his uniform on and come out and I think he didn't play either in that game.

To answer your question, he is starting to get his bounce back in his game. He looked very uncomfortable and cautious early in the year and he started making plays in practice about midway through the year and then started to finally flash toward the end of the year. That makes sense given his timeline coming off his knee injury, he should have a big spring if he can stay healthy.

Too early I know, but if Chip Long comes in and makes our offense better, and Tillman gets the secondary cohesive, how many wins do you think that's worth for us next year?

KQ- So Chip wants to score 30+ ppg I'm sure so if they did that this year and had fewer three and outs that would equate to three more wins just based off the offense. The D played bad, but the bad offense didn't help and that is a yin/yang thing that people don't understand, I've seen it my entire life covering CFB, unless you have an elite defense when your offense is inefficient and guys don't have faith in the game plan, then the D will collapse pretty easily. I think I understand where Collins is coming from with the one voice, one message thing and maybe that will work. I know there was a lot of hurt feelings in the DB room this past year and hopefully that will bring that group together. If the D is decent that is worth another win or two as well. Then you are in the hunt in the ACC Coastal with both. I'd say getting a pass rush is the other X factor.

Are we going to offer the big 6’10” 325lbs. offensive lineman transfer out of UVA?

KQ- Ryan Swoboda, names help if you are asking the question FYI. No I do not expect them to recruit that kid.

Has anyone called Deion back?

KQ- Yes it was taken care of.

Before the season, Geoff said the focus over the offseason was attention to detail. The culture was set and was mostly player driven. That's what you want and I agreed with him. When he said attention to detail, I took that to mean they would be coaching the shit out of them. Well, we all know what ensued over the course of the season. Now, in his ESD presser, he said less culture and more coaching. That's pretty much what he said prior to this season. Why should we expect a different result? I thought they were doing that prior to this year? What does this mean?

KQ- Fair question, I think he knows he should've changed OCs a year ago, the writing was on the wall that it was not working but I think having a true freshman QB in Jeff Sims bought Patenaude another year and then Collins suddenly had to jump in and try to help fix the offense and his defense faltered at the same time. His defense which is what Thacker is running requires a pass rush to work and coverage downfield, both of those areas struggled especially the safety play and the DL because of injuries and inexperience. I think he is trying to put some fires out with what he is saying now and hiring Chip Long is a clear indication that he wants to focus on the defense and let Chip run the offense with Brent Key. That is my take on the situation. I think that is a better setup than a year ago. Does that mean they will be successful? That is what the AD and everyone is expecting who supports Collins, but the proof will come in September and October of 2022.

Can/will you install a thumbs down button? Please. Also is Jeff Sims fully recovered from his injury? Thanks.

KQ- Ha, that would be pretty epic. On Sims, I'm not really sure, that is not something I'll dive into until closer to spring.

With Clemson and the ACC Coastal, excluding Pitt, going through major coaching transitions and FSU still struggling to figure things out, should Geoffrey’s target for not getting fired next season be finishing top two in the coastal?

KQ- I think if he does that he will be in good shape to continue coaching. I think Cristobal is a huge upgrade at Miami and the rest of the division is a giant question mark. That should be encouraging for GT. Mike Norvell is a good coach and I think if they stick with him they will win. What is funny about FSU is they do not have deep pockets and they don't have the huge boosters that people think they do hence all the issues with Jimbo there and not having an indoor and a lot of lipstick on a pig stuff. It will be interesting to see how long the leash is for Norvell.

Does the Sims/Pyron qb battle have the potential to turn into a Brandon Wimbush/ Ian Book type issue for Chip Long?

KQ- I can see where you might think about that comparison, but Sims is a two-year starter, Wimbush is the guy that won the job when Long got there, he was not an established player at all. Ian Book came on after Wimbush struggled in year two. Clearly, they made the right decision as history shows there. If that were to happen and Gt wins 10 games like Book did off the bench, great. No one is owed anything at any position in any college football program. Everyone has a clean slate on day one with Long.

What's your take on NIL? How will it help or hurt GT Football vs. the teams we play each season?

KQ- It depends on if it is being used correctly or as an inducement like people are alleging Deion and other programs have like Miami and BYU who are being investigated. A lot of people cheat regardless of NIL or whatever so I don't know that it is hurting or helping at this point yet. GT needs to find their role in NIL and how to use it and how to use it as a recruiting tool. The truth is though, this is all brand new frontier for everyone involved including the folks at GT working on it and every day people are learning how it works and what the best practices are. What that means for GT, I'm unsure, but they are well-placed if there is support for the team to create revenue for SAs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News