JOL Mailbag 12/18 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

Any idea when our 2024 football schedule will be released? dates and all

KQ- Typically sometime in January.

Any updates or timeline on adidas decision… either staying with adidas or switching to a new brand?

Maybe he can get a better deal with adidas and resign?

KQ- On the list of things I care about this is very low. The way these deals are going to work in the future is changing dramatically right now because of NIL. The companies can make individual deals with players they are interested in and the major cash will only go to a couple of national brands and everyone will be getting much smaller deals and I expect GT will be among those getting a smaller deal. I know there is interest in Nike/Jumpman and others on the GT side to gauge interest.

With Kennard having transferred out, who do we look to slow down UCF’s run game?

KQ- Kevin Harris who did just as good of a job against the run as Kennard did hence why Harris started over him for four out of the final six games. They have Noah Collins as well. It depends on how UCF runs the ball who exactly is involved the most in the run game. They may favor attacking the field or the weakside or up the middle so there is no telling, but Kennard's absence isn't going to change their game plan or GT's.

With the portal & draft exits are the opponents in the Orange Bowl going to have enough players to play the game? Is it going to look more like a JV game? Is this one of the by products of NIL & the portal? What are your thoughts for the future of the bowls (those not in the playoff mix) going forward?

KQ- I said from the jump I'd take UGA"s twos and threes over FSU's backups and it is likely to be a mix and match of that. UGA I think is in better shape there. I don't think this will be as big of an issue as we move to the 12-team playoff format unless you are a team like USC that shit the bed.

Is it likely that CJ Heard will stay in Atlanta since he decommitted from fsu the day after coming to GT for his OV? Saw his name on the GHSA champ game players to watch thread

KQ- He is a tweener kid and that has his stuck in a weird position with a lot of teams looking at him. He would be smart to try to sign somewhere this week IMO. I'm not sure where GT stands, Russell can give an update on that later I'm sure.

How’s does Key and Staff fill about the WR position? No portal commits as of now.

KQ- Well they have everyone back now for next year that played this year and there is an entire portal window that opens post-spring and guys they can add at any time that are already in the portal. They have Canion coming in along with Horne who everyone is sleeping on. They have Zion Taylor and Bailey Stockton who both redshirted this year as well. I think they are okay at WR, but it is a nice to add situation and oh yeah they get Leo Blackburn back too.

How has bowl practice been going with so many of the coaches out on the road?

KQ- I've heard it is going well. The staff are often there for a bit of practice and then dip out and some of the staff are not around, but they will have a full week of practices under their belt with the full staff before they play UCF on Friday.

I’m hearing from some of my friends who are former players that CBK is getting former players excited about the future. Have you been hearing the same?

KQ- You can see it on here, there are several former players who like the direction things are going and yeah Key does a nice job of connecting with lettermen and keeping them engaged. He understands what the gig is and how those people can help and support GT.

Kelly, do you know the teams travel plans yet ahead of the game (how many practices/walk throughs in Tampa?). Separate but related question, over/under that UCF dawns fatigues at an official bowl function ala 1987 fiesta bowl style?

KQ- That Miami question is hilarious, I don't think Gus will do that, but he is not happy about his bowl draw and has been a shithead dealing with the bowl people and media so far. They will have three practices in Tampa, but I don't think they will get in the stadium until game day.

Kenyatta Watson, Sr. Question. The buzz generated by him being back on the road is palpable and clear that he has developed incredible HS relationships. did his previous role not allow this before the recent switch? Seems like we weren’t leveraging his strengths? I have been a little disappointed since he was added to the staff, I thought we’d hear about his influence more than we have.

KQ- I have a good relationship with KWat so you are putting me on the spot here. No he is normally not allowed on the road, only on the field coaches are allowed to go on the road unless you designate someone else ineligible to be on the road and tap someone to replace them. Typically that is only done for an older coach or someone with medical issues.

Like all people he has his sphere of influence and the kids have to make sense for GT and want to come here as well so there is a limit to what anyone can do with connections.

Why do players, on bowl teams, who get the majority of the snaps at their position enter the transfer portal prior to the next window?

KQ- If you go in now you cast a wider net as a starter or key role player compared to the spring when teams have tighter roster numbers and are generally looking for specific needs. You can enroll in school and go through spring ball now too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News