ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 11/8 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb

1. Did Paul Johnson ever have a book? Felt like he just went with the feel of the game. Maybe CGC should do the same? Or do you think CGC is too analytical?

KQ- He has not done it yet to my knowledge. I would love to do something like that or a look back on that era when the site is big enough and I have a little more staff support since I was there for almost all of it.

Also, do you think Gibbs leaves for NFL after next year?

KQ- If he can he will. The shelve life of RBs is very low so anything about round 4 is a go IMO.

Communication issues in secondary. Coaching or player issue? Both?

KQ- Both

A lot of talk about GT the school as it pertains to football, our regional rivals, our place in the college football universe, and some not wanting to hear "excuses." You've been doing this for a while now and specifically for GT over 10 years. What is the ceiling and floor at a place like GT and how often should we expect to beat UGA and go to the ACCCG in your opinion with the right coaching / players / dynamics in place?

KQ- The ceiling is probably a one-loss regular season just based on everything I've seen here and being real knowing you play both Clemson and Georgia who are always loaded up and that is is hard to win those. The floor is one win, with some of the harder schedules for example next year if you had the 2019 team going against that schedule that might be a one-win team.

Do you Snapchat?

KQ- No I have zero clue how that works and I'm married and not interested in talking to young women so there is no draw for me as I understand that is about all that is good for.

Other than GT & UF, what other teams will a bad November significantly impact their recruiting and coaching staff?

RJ- Do I use Snapchat? Occasionally. In recent years it was needed for work purposes. Now, other social media apps such as Instagram have really taken command of the industry, and have allowed me to use Snapchat minimally for work purposes. Thankfully, because the whole concept of it has weirded me out more and more as I have grown older (and grown further into my role as a girl dad)

Florida State, Michigan, Texas, Virginia Tech, West Virginia all come to mind.

Hearing anything on the ACCN & Comcast ...

KQ- Still quiet, it comes down to when the ESPN rights expire and how hard Comcast wants to fight them over the amount of money ESPN wants. They get like $12-13 bucks of your cable bill already maybe more.

Many on JOL have asked about holding together the locker room with the players, how about the coaches? How are their relationships relative to being a "team"? Who is the loudest voice on staff (other than CBK &, of course, CGC) making noise these days? Is "iron sharpening iron" or are there chinks in the armour there?

KQ- I think there are some issues with coaching and player development at a couple of spots and there is some discontent related to that and you always have a few guys not happy about their PT or whatever but that comes with the sport. I don't see anyone giving up. The safeties actually had their best all-around game this season against Miami and that has been the most concerning area on the whole team.

Kelly, in your opinion, having seen him in the Morehouse exhibition game is Michael Devoe any faster for having spent with the GT Track team?

KQ- Yeah he looks a little quicker, he still dribbles himself into trouble at times since he is so left-dominant but he looked quicker and more confident.

What off the field adjustments have you seen from the coaching staff this year compared to last year? (Including anything Key asked/demanded to be changed, or changes that happened for any other reason)

KQ- There has been a clear change in the tone of practice, things are slowed down and very detailed focused on each task. When someone messes up they are taken aside and coached more. I think in the past at the tempo they were going at you couldn't do that. I think Collins even spoke on that. Remember he is still learning his way to lead a program as well.

Who are some realistic DC’s you’d like to see us reach out to if we wind up parting ways with Thacker?

KQ- I'm not going to dive into who Geoff may or may not hire and I would need to see who is available and where the coaching changes are.

Who are some realistic secondary coaches you’d like to see us reach out to if we wind up parting ways with Burton/pop?

KQ- Again, when someone is fired I'll speculate on possible replacements, but that is not fair to Nate who is a good dude or anyone else to speculate on that.

How would you grade out any of our draft eligible players? And for any juniors what would your recommendation be (draft, return, transfer)?

KQ- Okay I'll try to go through it off the top of my head

RB- JP Mason B- hasn't been as effective as expected, but is doing a better job in pass pro and the passing game.
WR- Malachi Carter C-, he has had several drops and bad routes this year, but has been more consistent he needs another year of seasoning IMO.
LT- Devin Cochran B+, hasn't been as dominant as expected, but very solid in pass pro, just struggles some in the run game
RG- Ryan Johnson C+, he has played a lot better in the second half of the season, got off to a slow start, I'm not sure he is a NFL guy, but I think he could be a coach if he wanted to.
LB- Charlie Thomas B+, he flashes a lot of the time, but for every great three things he does, there is always one really bad MA (missed assignment) and that is the issue with him.
S- Juanyeh Thomas C+, Juanyeh is a guy who has all of the tools, he just has not turned it loose enough times and I think he is in his head too often.
S- Riq Carpenter D, The last two weeks Riq has finally come around and started to look like the guy from 2018 and 2019, but he will need to finish the season strong and have a great Pro Day to have a shot.
CB- Tre Swilling D-, he has really struggled in many games this season, been a rough year for #3

Is the big board of offers up to date with all written offers?

RJ- All known and public written offers, yes. It is very hard to differentiate whether or not an offer is "official" when it is made after the August 1st start date. Let me see if I can get a more concrete sense of who has (or doesn't) an official offer at this point. I would be very surprised if all of the recent offers had one at this time with over a month still to go before NSD.

Especially the ones that have never been on campus.

* It looks like you were at Deerfield Beach on Friday. What were your impressions of Alton Tarber?

KQ- I'm going to do a JOL on the road update probably tomorrow or Wednesday about that trip.

* Do you think Sims was 100% physically on Saturday?

KQ- He did not appear to be impaired physically other than normal bumps and brusies. I think maybe his confidence was a little shaken with the OL play.

* We never seem to hear about any player suspensions under CGC (team rules, etc). Do these happen periodically but we just aren't even aware?

KQ- Yes they happen and he does not like to put them out publicly. There have been situations where guys were suspended for games. It happened to Kaleb Oliver for example and people just assumed he was hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News