ADVERTISEMENT

Jackets in the NFL

Friday, Aug. 21, games involving Jackets...(times eastern)

7:30pm: Falcons (none) at Jets (TJ Barnes)

8:00pm (Live via NFL Network!): Seahawks (Quayshawn Nealy) at Chiefs (none)

Is it the Bills' that have so many injuries in the defensive backfield right now?

Not sure about the Bills. I do know this report as a preview of last night's game between the Bills and Browns advises Cleveland had 8 DB's sidelined due to various injuries... http://dawgpounddaily.com/2015/08/2...ffalo-bills-preseason-game-time-channel-info/

Speaking of the Bills, when I first started wagering on games about 25 years ago (and not "for entertainment purposes only" ;)), some thought those of us who wagered on preseason games were loco. I get it, but when you had a head coach in Marv Levy who detested preseason, sat his starters pretty much the entire preseason, and essentially played 3rd stringers the entire way that he was going to eventually cut, it was a nice cash of the point spread ticket betting against the Bills during preseason about 80+% of the time. The flip side was former Vikings & Cardinals HC Denny Green who won straight up and ATS in preseason about 80% of the time so they were always great "play on" opportunities because Green played his starters deep into games with a mindset that he always wanted to set a winning tone with the guys he was going to depend on during the regular season.

When Visor Boy was HC of *MY* Redskins in his 2 years, he was a king in August. Then, reality hit when the games really started to mean something. But, cashing those ATS tickets in August was nice and then betting against *MY* Redskins (as tough as it was to do at times) made perfect sense once September arrived. :)

More love for Darren Waller... http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...n-Philly/e8f2a42e-ebfd-4178-b256-bda599a609de

“For Darren, it’s just being aggressive and going and making those catches,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said.

“Here’s a 240-pound guy out here in this heat – really all through camp – [who] pushes through and makes plays at the end of practice, which is pretty telling. I thought he took a big step out there today.”

Not sure about the Bills. I do know this report as a preview of last night's game between the Bills and Browns advises Cleveland had 8 DB's sidelined due to various injuries... http://dawgpounddaily.com/2015/08/2...ffalo-bills-preseason-game-time-channel-info/

Speaking of the Bills, when I first started wagering on games about 25 years ago (and not "for entertainment purposes only" ;)), some thought those of us who wagered on preseason games were loco. I get it, but when you had a head coach in Marv Levy who detested preseason, sat his starters pretty much the entire preseason, and essentially played 3rd stringers the entire way that he was going to eventually cut, it was a nice cash of the point spread ticket betting against the Bills during preseason about 80+% of the time. The flip side was former Vikings & Cardinals HC Denny Green who won straight up and ATS in preseason about 80% of the time so they were always great "play on" opportunities because Green played his starters deep into games with a mindset that he always wanted to set a winning tone with the guys he was going to depend on during the regular season.

When Visor Boy was HC of *MY* Redskins in his 2 years, he was a king in August. Then, reality hit when the games really started to mean something. But, cashing those ATS tickets in August was nice and then betting against *MY* Redskins (as tough as it was to do at times) made perfect sense once September arrived. :)

I am surprised that the book makers didn't see the same trends and adjust the lines....

I am surprised that the book makers didn't see the same trends and adjust the lines....

They did and it still didn't matter. Normally preseason lines rarely stray far from 3 pt or less max lines. Some of those Bills games 25 years ago in preseason featured their opponents having to lay 7-10 pts.

Friday's box score bullets:

TJ Barnes (Jets): no stats

Quayshawn Nealy (Seahawks): no stats

Saturday, Aug. 22, games involving Jackets...(times eastern)

7:00pm (Live via NFL Network!): Ravens (Darren Waller and Daryl Smith) at Eagles (Andrew Gardner)
7:00pm (tape delay 3am Monday on NFL Network): Dolphins (Kevin Cone and Emmanuel Dieke) at Panthers (Louis Young)
7:30pm: Bears (none) at Colts (none)
7:30pm: (tape delay 1am Sunday on NFL Network): Patriots (Shaq Mason) at Saints (none)
7:30pm: Jaguars (none) at Giants (none)
8:00pm (tape delay 10am Sunday on NFL Network): Broncos (Demaryius Thomas and Vance Walker) at Texans (none)
8:00pm (tape delay 4am Sunday on NFL Network): Raiders (none) at Vikings (Brandon Watts)
10:00pm (Live via NFL Network!): Chargers (Sneezy) at Cardinals (none)

Good luck to our Jackets tonight!!

Saturday's box score bullets:

Darren Waller (Ravens): 3 catches, 6 targets, 1 TOUCHDOWN!, 21 yards
Daryl Smith (Ravens): 3 solo tackles, 0 assists

Kevin Cone (Dolphins): no stats
Emmanuel Dieke (Dolphins): 2 solo tackles, 1 assist, 1 tackle for 6 yd loss

Louis Young (Panthers): no stats

Demaryius Thomas (Broncos): 3 catches, 6 targets, 24 yards
Vance Walker (Broncos): 2 solo tackles, 1 assist

Brandon Watts (Vikings): 1 solo tackle, 1 assist

Sneezy (Chargers): 2 solo tackles, 0 assists, 1 tackle for 6 yd loss

Sunday, Aug. 23, games involving Jackets...(times eastern)

1:00pm (Live on NFL Network!): Packers (Morgan Burnett) at Steelers (none)
8:00pm (tape delay 12am Monday via NFL Network): Cowpunks (none) at 49ers (Philip Wheeler...DeAndre Smelter on PUP)
8:00pm (Live on Fox!): Rams (Zach Laskey) at Titans (Derrick Morgan and Jamea Thomas)

Sunday's box score bullets:

Morgan Burnett (Packers): no stats

Philip Wheeler (49ers): no stats

Zach Laskey (Rams): no stats

Derrick Morgan (Titans): no stats
Jamea Thomas (Titans): 1 solo tackle, 1 assist

Monday's lone Week 2 preseason game live on ESPN at 8pm...
Bengals (Michael Johnson) at Bucs (none)

Michael Johnson remains sidelined due to injury so no stats from last night's final Week 2 preseason game between the Bengals and Bucs.

Week 3 is typically the dress rehearsal for most all teams and the starters tend to play far more minutes. We'll see. Perhaps Calvin Johnson, for instance, will finally see the field this preseason.

One week from today, Sep. 1, Tuesday, by 4pmET, team rosters must be cut down to 75 players.

Friday, Aug. 28, games involving Jackets...(times eastern)

7:30pm (tape delay 12pm Saturday via NFL Network): Patriots (Shaq Mason) at Panthers (Louis Young)

8:00pm (Live via CBS!): Lions (Isaiah Johnson) at Jaguars (none)
*Calvin Johnson won't play in any preseason games... http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...alvin-johnson-sit-final-exhibitions/32410527/

8:00pm (tape delay 9am Saturday via NFL Network): Titans (Derrick Morgan and Jamea Thomas) at Chiefs (none)

Friday's box score bullets:

Louis Young (Panthers): no stats

Isaiah Johnson (Lions)
: 0 solo tackles, 0 assists, 2 passes defended

Derrick Morgan (Titans): 1 solo tackle, 0 assists
Jamea Thomas (Titans): 2 solo tackles, 1 assist

Saturday, Aug. 29, games involving Jackets...(times eastern)

4:00 (Live via NFL Network!): Steelers (none) at Bills (Mario Butler)

7:00 (tape delay 10am Tuesday via NFL Network): Jets (TJ Barnes) at Giants (none)

7:00 (tape delay 5:30am Monday via NFL Network): Falcons (none) at Dolphins (Emmanuel Dieke and Kevin Cone) -- hopefully some of you Atlanta-based fans can comment on this game

7:00 (tape delay 12pm Sunday via NFL Network): Vikings (Brandon Watts) at Cowpunks (Rod Sweeting)

7:00: Browns (none) at Bucs (none)

7:00 (tape delay 3am Sunday via NFL Network): Redskins (none) at Ravens (Daryl Smith and Darren Waller) -- I will be watching this game live here in Virginia...will comment ASAP after the game

7:00: Bears (none) at Bengals (Michael Johnson, who remains out injured)

8:00 (tape delay 9am Sunday via NFL Network): Eagles (Andrew Gardner) at Packers (Morgan Burnett)

8:00 (tape delay 10am Monday via NFL Network): Colts (none) at Rams (Zach Laskey)

8:00 (Live via NFL Network!): Seahawks (Quayshawn Nealy) at Chargers (Sneezy)

9:00 (tape delay tonight at midnight): 49ers (Philip Wheeler) at Broncos (Bay Bay Thomas)

Good luck to our Jackets today in this crucial time of preseason.

Mario Butler (Bills): 0 solo tackles, 0 assists, 1 pass defended

Emmanuel Dieke (Dolphins): no stats
Kevin Cone (Dolphins): 1 catch, 2 targets, 3 yards

Brandon Watts (Vikings): 1 solo tackle, 0 assists

Rod Sweeting (Cowpunks): 2 solo tackles, 0 assists

Daryl Smith (Ravens): 4 solo tackles, 1 assist
Darren Waller (Ravens): 1 catch, 3 targets, 5 yards (note, after Steve Smith Sr. was ejected from the game late in the 1st quarter, Waller was the first one off the bench to take his position...I think this bodes well for his chances to make the 53 man roster)

Morgan Burnett (Packers): 5 solo tackles, 0 assists

Quayshawn Nealy (Seahawks): 1 solo tackle, 0 assists

Sneezy (Chargers): 1 solo tackle, 0 assists

Bay Bay (Broncos): 3 catches, 5 targets, 30 yards

Note: there are 2 preseason games Sunday to finish off Week 3 and there are no Jackets in either game

Mario Butler (Bills): 0 solo tackles, 0 assists, 1 pass defended

Emmanuel Dieke (Dolphins): no stats
Kevin Cone (Dolphins): 1 catch, 2 targets, 3 yards

Brandon Watts (Vikings): 1 solo tackle, 0 assists

Rod Sweeting (Cowpunks): 2 solo tackles, 0 assists

Daryl Smith (Ravens): 4 solo tackles, 1 assist
Darren Waller (Ravens): 1 catch, 3 targets, 5 yards (note, after Steve Smith Sr. was ejected from the game late in the 1st quarter, Waller was the first one off the bench to take his position...I think this bodes well for his chances to make the 53 man roster)

Morgan Burnett (Packers): 5 solo tackles, 0 assists

Quayshawn Nealy (Seahawks): 1 solo tackle, 0 assists

Sneezy (Chargers): 1 solo tackle, 0 assists

Bay Bay (Broncos): 3 catches, 5 targets, 30 yards

Note: there are 2 preseason games Sunday to finish off Week 3 and there are no Jackets in either game

Kevin Cone was cut by the Dolphins today.

Dieke is still on the roster for now. At least he lasted longer than 99 star dwag Ray Drew.

Thanks for the heads up, mate. Will be interesting to see if RG3 joins the cut list soon. I hope so (beyond sick of the drama), but I digress.

Thanks for the heads up, mate. Will be interesting to see if RG3 joins the cut list soon. I hope so (beyond sick of the drama), but I digress.

If they cut him now, while he is still in the concussion protocol, they'd owe him his guaranteed injury money. If they wait until he is cleared to play, they'd save about $16M.

Taking inventory...

Safely on 53 Man Roster
  • Sneezy, Chargers (competing for starting job)
  • Burnett, Packers (starter)
  • M. Johnson, Bengals (injured but expected to be back by Week 1 or 2 of regular season)
  • Megatron, Lions (stud)
  • Mason, Patriots (competing for starting job...though didn't play well in the last preseason game so he may wind up starting the season in a backup role)
  • Morgan, Titans (stud)
  • Smith, Ravens (starter)
  • Bay Bay, Broncs (stud)
  • Walker, Broncs (starter)

Likely on 53 Man Roster
  • Barnes, Jets (most research I've seen expects him to make it as a backup)
  • Watts, Vikings (at minimum will be a special teams demon)
  • Wheeler, 49ers (has been injured for much of preseason but appears to be coming back this week)

Cut
  • Nealy, Seahwaks (with the depth of that talented D in Seattle, it is very difficult to break through there...I hope Q gets another shot elsewhere in the league)
  • Cone, Fish (likely the end of the line, but a strong and unexpected career so far)

Jury is Still Out
  • Butler, Bills (needs to perform well in the final preseason game tomorrow night...has had a good preseason so far)
  • Dieke, Dolphins (will be a very close call whether he makes the Fish's final roster...at worst, likely a practice squad member)
  • I Johnson, Lions (likely going to wind up on the practice squad though could make the 53 man roster as he is literally in a battle for one of the final roster spots...needs a good game tomorrow night)
  • Sweeting, Cowpunks (likely will be cut after tomorrow night's preseason finale...picked up from Buffalo to provide preseason depth)
  • Thomas, Titans (probably winds up being cut or at best added to practice squad)
  • Young, Panthers (has been injured almost all of preseason camp though finally returned earlier this week...practice squad may be his best landing spot...I expect he'll be listed as cut)

Practice Squad
  • Hill, Panthers (the Panthers have added Hill to their practice squad after previously waiving him a month ago and he cleared waivers)
  • Laskey, Rams (not confirmed, but internet advising this is the expectation the Rams will head)

Reactions: Texwood
Stats on some key Jackets from last night...

Butler (Bills): 3 solo tackles, 1 assist

Dieke (Dolphins): 2 solo tackles, 1 assist

I Johnson (Lions): 3 solo tackles, 0 assists

Sweeting (Cowpunks): 2 solo tackles, 0 assists

Thomas (Titans): 7 solo tackles, 0 assists, 2 passes defended!!

Young (Panthers): 0 solo tackles, 1 assist

Waller (Ravens): 3 catches, 5 targets, 22 yds

Watts (Vikings): 3 solo tackles, 2 assists, 1 sack for 9 yd loss

Wheeler (49ers): 2 solo tackles, 1 sack for 7 yd loss

I hope so for Philip. He turns 31 in December and has been injured for much of the preseason. Hopefully a team is looking for a reliable, experienced guy to add depth along with some special teams work. As much as I watch the cuts this afternoon updated, I will be watching through tomorrow which guys get picked up.

No surprise Lovie Smith lured recently cut former Dwag Tim Jennings from Chicago down to Tampa for instance. You'd think in an 8-year career, hopefully Philip has plenty of connections and old ties he potentially can tap into for a nibble and perhaps bite.

Just in case you think there are limits as to the circus known as *MY* Redskins, we give you today's episode...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...ert-n-kurtzke-resigns-washington-redskins-nfl

It's to the point of hilarity now. I expect tomorrow to read that Kirk Cousins has been caught showering with Pot Roast Knighton. And, of course, this will gain superior support from the LGBT community though the Native Americans will frown upon it and Penn State fans will say "hey, it's not a big deal, come on!"

#HTTR is no longer the fight song. Cue up some circus music for the new one...

Dat...dat dattaya da dat dat dat dat...dat dattaya da dat dat dat dat...

Now, under the Big Top in DC! *SIGH*

put_a_gun_to_my_head_and_paint_the_walls_with_my_brain.gif

Louis Young cut by Panthers...Rod Sweeting cut by Cowpunks...Brandon Watts cut by Vikings.

Mario Butler makes the Bills roster...TJ Barnes makes the Jets roster.

Hopefully these guys who got cut will make the practice squad.

"It beats working at Sears. Man, that sucks."

Isaiah Johnson signed to Lions' practice squad. Another nice!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT