ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing on TOS that Marcus Marshall is gone...

stinger78

Mar 19, 2016
If so, that really stinks badly!

Not sure if it is football or academic related.

If football, that is really a case of BAD mismanagement of personnel, IMHO. MM was our leading rusher having played maybe only half the season. I was concerned about how the Bback position was being handled with Mills and him not getting nearly equal snaps. He showed in those last three games the type of back he was - the best we've had since Dwyer. Why he was standing around on the sideline most of the year is beyond me. I'm sure there are things that Mills does better, but why sit a guy who obviously has that kind of talent?

Finally, it is also possible that he just doesn't like the system. If so, that is more understandable, but again, you don't keep a talented guy that is struggling with that on the bench, you play him. I saw no drop off in talent when he played. In fact, with him starting, we beat VPI, UVA and UGA back to back to back - our most impressive run of the season.

Just struggling to comprehend this.

I put it in the potpourri thread, sorry!

I said at the beginning of the season, he should be in one of the ABack slots. I got some flack for it. Still think he would have fit there and been more satisfied.

Also hearing rumors that a Fr QB and R-Fr DB are leaving... Hope both rumors are false. If true though, really hope the the Fr QB isn't Lucas Johnson.

Dorian Walker is goner, too. However, with a bunch of JR's at DB this year and the crop we just recruited, he may see no PT ahead.

Mr. Texwood brother man;

Is Trent Sellers going JUCO? Rumor floating around on campus.

Could the QB be Jay Jones(only heard LJ was doing well as a signal caller)?
Matter of factly speaking, I've thought the lack of info. on JJ-meant that he might move positions eventually. Lucas looks like he is only suited for one spot on offense.

Are we about to lose more?

Edited to add: Was a link to Christian Phillpot's tweet saying "We all bout to be gone" that he has since deleted.

Last edited:
First these happens to all college teams, how do you think they sign 25 or more each year. Remember 2015 was our big class of 27 . Not all of them could start so you will lose some . When I get home I'll show y'all a Sample of some SEC lost before this year.

Here is just a small list of players some SEC teams lost before this year.

2016 SEC Football Attrition

Alabama(14): OT Charles Baldwin dismissed on 12 May 16 for a violation of team rules (announced on 5 Aug 16 that he will transfer to Kansas); QB Blake Barnett announced on 28 Sep 16 his intent to transfer; DE/LB Christian Bell announced his intent to transfer to Wisconsin on 28 Jul 16; S Shawn Burgess-Becker transferred to Central Florida on 22 Jun 16; WR Chris Black transferred to Missouri on 1 Feb 16; CB Tony Brown suspended since playoffs; WR Daylon Charlot transferred on 3 Aug 16 to Kansas; RB Derrick Henry announced his intent to pursue 2016 NFL Draft on 15 Jan 16; DT signee Kendell “Hulk” Jones enrolled at a JUCO on 6 Jun 16 after failing to academically qualify; QB Alec Morris announced his intent to transfer to North Texas on 28 Dec 15; DL A’Shawn Robinson announced his intent to pursue 2016 NFL Draft on 15 Jan 16; DB Kendall Sheffield transferred to Blinn College on 17 Aug 1; DB Maurice Smith transferred to UGA on 11 Aug 16; ILB Adonis Thomas announced his intent to transfer on 6 Jul 16

Arkansas(13): OL Josh Allen removed from program on 29 Mar 16; DL Anthony Brown transferred to Tennessee-Martin on 15 Dec 16; RB Alex Collins announced his intent to pursue the 2016 NFL Draft on 10 Jan 16; WR Kendrick Edwards transferred to Arkansas St on 25 May 16; RB Denzell Evans announced his intent to transfer to Kansas on 7 Jun 16; DB Cornelius Floyd removed from program (academics) on 29 Mar 16, will transfer as of 24 Aug 16; WR Eric Hawkins transferred on 13 Jul 16; TE Hunter Henry announced his intent to pursue 2016 NFL Draft on 4 Jan 16; OG Denver Kirkland announced his intent to pursue 2016 NFL Draft on 4 Jan 16; QB Rafe Peavey transferred to SMU on 23 Aug 16; WR Jojo Robinson (skipped school) was released from the program w/ the intent to transfer on 31 Oct 15; DB Willie Sykes transferred to Texas Tech on 9 Aug 16; RB Jonathan Williams announced his intent to pursue 2016 NFL Draft

Auburn(15): OL Will Adams announced his intent to transfer to Boise St on 31 Dec 15; RB Peyton Barber announced his intent to pursue 2016 NFL Draft on 18 Jan 16; DB Jordan Colbert will transfer to Holmes Community College as of 8 Jan 16; OL Shon Coleman announced his intent to pursue 2016 NFL Draft; OL Jordan Diamond transferred to Miami, OH on 26 May 16; S Tim Irvin announced his intent to transfer to East Carolina on 19 Jul 16; DE Raashed Kennion left the team on 13 Aug 16 to “pursue politics”; TE Chris Laye left the program on 27 Feb 16; LB JaViere Mitchell elected not to return for his senior season on 1 Mar 16; DE Gimel President announced his intent to transfer on 3 Feb 16 to Illinois; TE Landon Rice left program on 13 Sep 16 for personal reasons; RB Jovon Robinson dismissed on 3 Aug 16 (subsequently transferred to Valdosta St); DE Justin Thomas-Thornton announced his intent to transfer to FCS Jacksonville St on 20 Aug 16; RB Roc Thomas transferred to FCS Jacksonville St on 13 Jun 16; OL Avery Young announced his intent to pursue 2016 NFL Draft on 13 Jan 16

Florida(15): WR Raphael Andrades no longer listed on official team roster as of 17 Feb 16; WR Alvin Bailey announced that he will transfer on 26 Jun 16; WR Antonio Callaway indefinitely suspended on 27 Jan 16 after being accused in a sexual assault incident on 4 Dec 15; OL Travaris Dorsey announced his intent to transfer on 14 Mar 16; QB Will Grier transferred to West Virginia on 16 May 16; PK Austin Hardin announced his intent to transfer on 14 Mar 16; CB Vernon Hargreaves III announced his intent to pursue 2016 NFL Draft on 4 Jan 16; QB Treon Harris announced his intent to transfer on 25 Jul 16; DE Alex McCalister dismissed from team then announced his intent to pursue 2016 NFL Draft on 21 Dec 15; S Keanu Neal announce his intent to pursue 2016 NFL Draft; LB Jeremi Powell announced his intent to transfer to Toledo on 15 Apr 16; WR Demarcus Robinson announced his intent to pursue 2016 NFL Draft on 21 Dec 15; LB Matt Rolin left the team on 15 Aug 16; WR Ryan Sousa announced his intent to transfer on 9 May 16; RB Kelvin Taylor announced his intent to pursue 2016 NFL

When it's your leading rusher for the past two years, and he is but a sophomore, it hurts. Especially when we don't get those type players often.

However, if he doesn't want to be here, he doesn't need to be here. I just wonder how much of that grew as a result of seeing a true FR start in front of him after leading our team in rushing in 2015

Through six of our games this fall he had a total of 20 carries. That tells me you just don't want me around, especially when you put me in and I respond consistently with over 6 YPC, and more especially when the other guy appears to have knucklehead tendencies. It may be something completely different, I realize, but I can't shake the feeling that this was due to being in CPJ's doghouse the entire season.

First I'm still happy we beat uga.

Funny thing is most years I have read people get mad when we only sign 16-18 players. They are the same ones wanting to know how some SEC teams sign 25 or more each year. They do it because of attrition and not all by graduation. You sign the best players you can and let things work out.

Our 2015 class had 27 players sign common sense would tell you not all 27 will start. Some leave for different reasons some we will understand and some we won't. Like it or not out of this 27 about 16 ( IMO)would be my guess now many in this signing class will finish at Tech. But that is part of college football it happens to all teams. CPJ likes all his players but he is also one that we know will not sugarcoat things if you are doing something wrong you will know it. Some people can't take criticism as well as others that's just part of life.

I can see that the last few year our recruiting has got better. We will have some players leave each year as long as we can sign the best players that we can get we will be fine.

We are 8-4 and have a chance to win 9 games this year plus we beat uga and that is 2 out of the last 3 years. I will not let this get me down and look forward to our bowl game and next year.

( All this is IMO )

Totally agree with you stech81, but losing a high ceiling RB like MM does hurt. He's the best pure runner we have had around here in a while, perhaps a long while. I totally get why he was in CPJ's dog house early this season, and I don't even want to begin 2nd guessing that decision. That's all water under the bridge now. I hope the best for Marcus in his pursuit of an NFL career going forward.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
MM is a major reason why we finished as strongly as we did. IOW, we won 8 games in big part due to the presence of MM and his play on the field. He will not be easy to replace, though I'm sure we have guys we can put out there. We did that last year and you see how it worked.

DM is a very good RB, and showed that on the field. I hope he stays and develops for us. However, he was suspended for three games in his first season. That's not good. To my knowledge, MM in two years has never once been suspended. Now I'm hearing both may be gone. IIRC, DM was an early admit and has now 2 semesters under his belt. It takes 2 /3 semesters to get kicked out of school for academic reasons. Generally, 1 on warning and 1 on probation, then you're out. Pure speculation, but I suppose it could all be academic.

Still, as you say, it's all part of the "game." Dodd wrote extensively about keeping his guys eligible and how hard that was. It's even worse today. We all know that CPJ doesn't suffer fools. We have no idea what it's all about at this point. It wouldn't surprise me at all if DM's issues were academic. It would surprise me of MM's were. He's had a tag of dropping the ball and failing to block well in his short time at Tech. If it is these performance issues that have put him in the dog house, then it is what it is.

Finally, we cannot discount that his brother was in a pro system at UGA and now on an NFL practice squad. I can see him whispering in MM's ear: "Look, it's hard enough to catch on in the NFL as it is. Being in that system will not make it any easier for you, and sitting behind a guy who's getting slapped with probation 3 times a year is crazy. You can do better."

All speculation, for sure, but I don't think this is out of the question at all.

Who knows, maybe the school is just not for him. I suspect that it is not his rushing that has kept him off the field. I had heard comments earlier in the year about blocking and other details that he wasn't the best at. We don't see those grades, but they factor into the coaches decisions.

He will be missed. Best wishes to him.

what i've heard about dm is missed class and missed practice. needs to get priorities right

Yes, Mills has missed some appointments. Maybe Marshall feels he's put in his time and hasn't gotten into trouble and deserved more time on the field.

Don't be surprised if the next player to go is Devine not sure he played in the last two games. Seems like he lost interest in football. (IMO)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Devine departs after this season, especially if he is close to graduaton.

Philpott not in the playing loop, unhappy?
Typical not in the two-deep....Jalen Camp and others passing him by.

Simmons, like Stech81 said.

Devine will graduate.
hearing Devine may have been hurt at the end of the year. Wasn't Philpott also hurt ?

Well I hope they stick around, but if Devine is graduating, I certainly understand that move. I was ready to get out too.

I wonder what the story is with Bridges. I was expecting him to have a chance to get significant playing time next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT