ADVERTISEMENT

GT to the Big 10

Link from a credible source?

Just wondering where you got this. I get the extra 3 million a year will help, but do you really want to go play Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan St, Indiana, Illinois. I mean with the new additions to their conference they are just as watered down as the ACC.

I don't think the ACC has a tough time renegotiating that TV contract with the addition of UL and ND. Very shortsighted move IMO, but hey do what you feel best. Not to mention that you would be the only southern school in a conference with a bunch of northern schools. Just doesn't fit right. Just bluh

This post was edited on 11/30 10:06 AM by jmh9713

This is also buzzing on the B10 fan boards...let us know what ya'll are hearing.

Originally posted by jmh9713:

Just wondering where you got this. I get the extra 3 million a year will help, but do you really want to go play Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland, Michigan St, Indiana, Illinois. I mean with the new additions to their conference they are just as watered down as the ACC.

I don't think the ACC has a tough time renegotiating that TV contract with the addition of UL and ND. Very shortsighted move IMO, but hey do what you feel best. Not to mention that you would be the only southern school in a conference with a bunch of northern schools. Just doesn't fit right. Just bluh

How does the ND deal help the ACC? ND is only going to take on 5 ACC games a year and some of those will be on NBC each year. ND will have it's own tv contract that the ACC won't be able to touch. It's a shame.

ACC hurt itself terribly when they gave ND a sweetheart deal. ACC should have made ND come all-in or nothing.

BTW, I hope you guys do come to the B10. Would love to have another land-grant, AAU school with great academics and traditions in the league.

If we're headed to 4 16-team super conferences I hope the B10 brings in GT and then either UNC or UVA.

Originally posted by BleedinGold:

How does the ND deal help the ACC? ND is only going to take on 5 ACC games a year and some of those will be on NBC each year. ND will have it's own tv contract that the ACC won't be able to touch. It's a shame.

ACC hurt itself terribly when they gave ND a sweetheart deal. ACC should have made ND come all-in or nothing.

BTW, I hope you guys do come to the B10. Would love to have another land-grant, AAU school with great academics and traditions in the league.

If we're headed to 4 16-team super conferences I hope the B10 brings in GT and then either UNC or UVA.
If this did happen I could see the B10 switching to four 4 team divisions.

South
GT
MD
UNC/UVA
Penn State

North
Minn
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern

West
Illinois
Purdue
Wisconsin
Michigan

East
Ohio St
Rutgers
MSU
IU

Obvoiusly some of those can be interchangeable. But each year you play everyone in your division plus an entire other division along with one protected rivalry in another division. That would give you 8 conference games.

A 9th game would be TBD in which #1s from all divisions will face off against each other, #2s the same, #3s & #4s. Then the winners of the #1 games will play for the B10 Championship.

That would be 9 conference games for everyone. 3 out of conference games. Then 2 teams play a 13th championship game.
This is all fantasy of course but I could see it happening.

South
GT
MD
UNC/UVA
Penn State

North
Minn
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern

West
Illinois
Purdue
Wisconsin
Michigan

East
Ohio St
Rutgers
MSU
IU

Obvoiusly some of those can be interchangeable. But each year you play everyone in your division plus an entire other division along with one protected rivalry in another division. That would give you 8 conference games.

A 9th game would be TBD in which #1s from all divisions will face off against each other, #2s the same, #3s & #4s. Then the winners of the #1 games will play for the B10 Championship.

That would be 9 conference games for everyone. 3 out of conference games. Then 2 teams play a 13th championship game.
I can't imagine GT being separated from IU or tOSU since both are roughly 7 hour drives to Atl. Both are actually as close to UVa, if say UVa is the 16th team. UVa will be paired with Md, Rutgers and PSU.

This post was edited on 12/1 6:17 PM by rocknsoul

Originally posted by rocknsoul:

South
GT
MD
UNC/UVA
Penn State

North
Minn
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern

West
Illinois
Purdue
Wisconsin
Michigan

East
Ohio St
Rutgers
MSU
IU

I can't imagine GT being separated from IU or tOSU since both are roughly 7 hours drives to Atl. Both are actually as close to UVa, if say UVa is the 16th team. UVa will be paired with Md, Rutgers and PSU.
Good points.

Maybe they swap IU, OSU for Penn State & Rutgers. Still would be pretty evenly divided.

South
GT
IU
UNC/UVA
Ohio State

North
Minn
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern

West
Illinois
Purdue
Wisconsin
Michigan

East
MD
Rutgers
MSU
Penn State

I have no inside info, but rumors are flying and clearly the times are a changing. GT is a tremendous university and I would be delighted to see them in the B1G.

Does that mean you think Georgia Tech could be the Boston College of the Big Ten. :) No way that happens. No way. I'm not saying I think it makes sense at this stage -- as in, who else is going with them? -- but GT will be fine wherever.

As B1G fan, I'd love to see this happen...

GT is a great university located in a great city. As a Michigan fan I'd definitely travel to that game and have a great weekend in the process. I think this would be a mutually beneficial move for GT and the B1G.

Re: As B1G fan, I'd love to see this happen...

If it goes to pods, look for these divisions:
West: Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota
North: Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Illinois
Central: Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Indiana
East: Maryland, Rutgers, Georgia Tech, Virginia

Each team may have a permanent cross-over rival such as (a few examples):
Michigan would always play Nebraska in the West, Ohio State in the Central division, and Rutgers in the East division
Ohio State would always play Wisconsin in the West, Michigan in the North, and Georgia Tech in the East
Nebraska would always play Michigan in the North, Penn State in the Central, and Virginia in the East
Penn State would always play Iowa in the West, Michigan State in the North, and Maryland in the East
Georgia Tech would always play Wisconsin in the West, Illinois in the North, and Ohio State in the Central division
Virginia would always play Nebraska in the West, Northwestern in the North, and Purdue in the Central division
Maryland would always play Minnesota in the West, Michigan State in the North, and Penn State in the Central division
Rutgers would always play Iowa in the West, Michigan in the North, and Indiana in the Central division

Ouch, M gets screwed. Just talking.

GT needs to go to the Big 10 because ACC is about to implode.

Virginia Tech and NC State will be soon announced as going to the SEC.

I mean with the new additions to their conference they are just as watered down as the ACC.
Here are the most profitable (revenue less expenses) football or basketball programs in the country:

#2 Penn State (football)
#5 Michigan (football)
#13 Nebraska (football)
#15 Michigan State (football)
#17 Ohio State (football)
#18 Iowa (football)
#21 Wisconsin (football)
#24 Florida State (football)
#25 Illinois (football)
#26 Duke (basketball)
#27 Va Tech (football)
#29 Clemson (football)
#30 Minnesota (football)
#31 North Carolina (basketball)

The problem is ACC football does not have a large TV contract like the Big Ten and simply does not have the same fan support or TV markets. In 2017 the Big Ten schools will be making $40 million just from TV contracts while the ACC will only be making $20-$25 million. The ACC does not have enough revenue to prevent the Big Ten or SEC from taking away its members.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Re: GT needs to go to the Big 10 because ACC is about to implode.

Clemson and FSU will be in the SEC by 2014. Already in the works.

Not sure I understand what they add to the SEC that the conference doesn't already have. It just splits their existing pie into smaller pieces. That doesn't seem to make much sense. While someone can argue what the B10 is doing, you cannot argue that it is splitting the existing pie into smaller pieces...just the contrary.

Originally posted by ZOOMY:
Clemson and FSU will be in the SEC by 2014. Already in the works.
Maybe the B12, but the SEC wants new TV markets so I doubt that Clemson or FSU will be invited

Of course a Husker would want Atlanta and VA as part of their dismal big 10 locations! I drove through NE once and it was the longest summer of my life!

According to insiders, the only ACC schools on the radar of the SEC are:

Virginia Tech, NC State and UNC. I think clemson and the Big 12 are a good match. Go for it.

Conferences are about to start cutting others throat out there. They will take no prisoners either!! And it aint about who beat who, geography, or tailgating. Its ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!! Whether its TV money, subscription or market money........ etc. Whatever the sweetest deal out there is, is what B1G , Big 12, and SEC will make a concentraited effort and.... GET!!

laugh.r191677.gif
Facebook & Twitter rumors FTW

This post was edited on 12/3 5:49 AM by NOLE FAN1

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/12/1

ACC Locked-in?

I beleive the ACC is locked into that new ESPN deal they just signed, that is absolutely awful and pays only up to $17 Million per team.

Re: ACC Locked-in?

Someone mentioned +3 mil, I think it would actually be closer to +8 to 10 mil.

There will not be any TV deal with ESPN if enough teams leave the ACC. I doubt ESPN wants to lose the programming that the ACC provides and they will renegoiate the contract.

Unless the B1G goes beyond 16 teams and even if the ACC loses 4 teams (2 each to the SEC & B1G) the league will survive and add Texas, TT, OU, Ok St & WVU or KU plus ND full time to get back to 16. The B1G 12 will aslo be under assualt from the PAC 12, but the ACC will prevail due to having much better TV markets than either the Big 12 or the PAC 12. It makes no sense for any ACC team to go to the Big 12. With the additions of those 5 Big 12 teams, ESPN will write a whole new contract for the ACC that will put the ACC on equal footing with the SEC & B1G. The ACC has the east coast TV markets.

Wishful thinking but the BIG12 has this thing called Grant of Tv rights. This keeps any school from leaving the BIG12 fully, "if a Big 12 school leaves for another league in the next 13 years, that
school's media rights, including revenue, would remain with the Big 12
and not its new conference."
But maybe with a LOT of negotiations I'm sure this can be bargained, but at what COST?
It would be much easier to take from a weakening falling apart ACC, once BIG and then SEC Act.

The Pac12 already failed to raid the BIG12 and that was their only opportunity. I can see the Pac12 going to 16 by taking BSU, SDST, BYU and or either one of these: Wyoming,Hawaii or a New Mexico school or another?.

ESPN BIG12 GTR deal

Re: ACC Locked-in?

Originally posted by FlintMaize:

I beleive the ACC is locked into that new ESPN deal they just signed, that is absolutely awful and pays only up to $17 Million per team.
That is without renegotiating with ND, Cuse, Louisville, Pitt entering. It will be around 20 or so. Also the ACC is #3 (only behind the SEC and BIG10) in TV ratings in football and #2 in basketball (the ACC will be #1 with the new additions) of the AQ 6 conferences The ACC is the only contract of the AQ that can renegotiate every 3-5 years too even without any changes or additions.

This post was edited on 12/4 2:24 PM by NOLE FAN1

The new rumor is GT and FSU to the B1G. That would make me very happy. We know the B1G will add 2 more teams and it won't be the Big 12 teams because of the grant of rights. Also with all of the chatter this will happen sooner rather than later.

Howabout the Big 12?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT