ADVERTISEMENT

Golfing J's on PGA Tour: Traveler's Championship Aug. 4-7

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
The Tour heads north just a bit to Connecticut for this week's event. Matt Kuchar experienced a PGA Championship he will long to forget. When checking out the posted field this past weekend for this week's Traveler's Championship, Kooch's name was not included. Only Hadley and Molder were listed among GJ's. I didn't really expect Kooch to be playing this week anyway, thinking he will be traveling to Brazil for the Olympics. But, he will be playing this week and not walking into Olympic Stadium with Team USA at the opening ceremonies Friday evening.

Complete speculation on my part here, but perhaps Kooch needs to get back on the course to get the bad taste out of his mouth from a rare missing of a cut. That finish knocked him down from 8th (and an auto designation to Team USA) to 11th in the Ryder Cup Standings for the U.S. team. Maybe that had a little something to do with it too.

Regardless, Kooch will be joining Hadley and Molder this week. The Tour heads to Illinois for the John Deere Classic while Kooch heads to Brazil for the 4-day stroke play event Aug. 11-14, Thu-Sun, in hopes of winning a gold medal.

Sticking to the Olympics theme with a side note, here are the Tech athletes in the Olympics... http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/tremendous-honor-for-olympian-tech-grad-andrew-che/nr757/

...including this...

Andrew Chetcuti will be the flag bearer for the nation of Malta in the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics, a tremendous honor for the Georgia Tech grad. Chetcuti, who will swim the 100-meter freestyle, can trace this privilege back to a most practical origin.

Things were looking pretty bad today for Kooch. Perhaps a hangover from last week's miserable 2 days at the PGA Championship. He was +3 thru 10 holes with 3 bogeys and a double-bogey to go along with 2 birdies. But then, the Kooch we know got hot.

He birdied 4 of his last 7 holes to finish -1 and tied for 45th alongside Molder also at -1. Hadley has a lot of work to do tomorrow at +2...with 94 golfers at Even or better.

A solid -3 for the day and now to -4 for the tournament by Kooch today. This puts him in striking distance of the lead (only 3 back as I type this) heading into Saturday. Nice!

Molder (-1) due off at 1:55pmET today.

Hadley (+2) is finished and will miss the cut.

Interesting takes on Olympic golf from Bubbles, the Cesspoolian, and our own Kooch. Check this out... http://www.pgatour.com/news/2016/08/08/olympics-playing-for-country-not-team.html

And the quotes...

Bubbles:
“Just remember – we’re not a team,” Watson said. “If me and one of the guys are in a playoff, I don’t like that guy. Hate’s a strong word, so I’m just going to say I don’t like that guy.

“We’re not a team. Well, we are a team but we’re not. Just because we wear the same outfits doesn’t mean we’re pulling for each other.”

Kooch:
Even with just the individual award at stake, Kuchar said he’ll still be cheering for his fellow Americans.

“I think that’s the nature of golf,” Kuchar said. “You certainly pull for your friends. When you got teammates, you pull for them. It is an individual game. We’ll all be shooting for gold. You certainly hope if it’s not yourself, it’s one of your teammates.”

About what I'd expect from a bag of douche who walks like he's got a corn cob stuck up his ass versus a class act like Kooch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT