Game 7 Microscope: Pitt Panthers

1) 6 points
th

2) lucky
th

3) you or me scoring.
th

Breaking news...

...Pitt just did score, faked the XP and successfully converted the 2 pt conversion.

Pitt up 8-0 already.

Actually, I am hearing we got the ball to start the game. We ran 3 straight dives up the middle for -1, -2 and -1. The punt team came out and we snapped the ball the wrong way. Yep, towards the defense. Pitt caught the snap and literally walked into the endzone for the TD while our guys ran to the sidelines to get some homework done. Crazy start to the game.

hope the game goes well tomorrow.

The team needs to get off to a good start. Taking care of business early will help their spirits.

It seems they have been pressing a little recently and playing a little tight, not making the plays they can make.

Last edited:
hope the game goes well tomorrow.

The team needs to get off to a good start. Taking care of business early will help their spirits.

It seems they have been pressing a little recently and playing a little tight, not making the plays they can make.
Right now I'll take an ugly win, just any win.

Actually, I am not wagering on Tech to cover the spread. But, I am laying a unit on the over 47.5. I trust our defense that little.

I'm thinking Pitt wins something like 31-27. Considering how bad my picks have been over the 1st half of this season, that bodes well for the Good Guys though.

I have Pitt. wining 34-28. Although CPJ loves the noonish starts, we will bee setting our alarm to make YJA. Have to bee-at-ch a little bit without any rain forecasted.

Is laying a unit, 100$? If it involves needing a light in the bathroom or spray, don't tell me. Won't need to know that today.

Feeling old...in my day we went by little nickels, little dimes. Big nickel was 5k, etc.

Speaking of close games, that got me to thinking about how few of them we've played over the last year or so.

The only one this year was the UNC game which we lost at the end. We lost the ACCCG in valiant effort manner. The shining light was of course the big win at Hell in OT. Lost the game at UNC last year at the end. The final margin against Duke last year really is misleading as they pretty much had the game in hand before a couple of late scores by the Good Guys. Certainly, the big wins over Ga Southern and the Hokies were very close and the Canes were within striking distance late (though we handled Miami pretty well).

Another tough loss. Final score was about where I thought it would be. I picked Pitt to win 31-27.

Our offense looked a lot better today overall. Pitt made some nice halftime defensive adjustments. Tip of the cap to them. I hope Marshall can stay injury free and at Tech for his entire time because he is special.

Our defense stinks but I knew that coming into the game. FSU will light us up like a pinball machine next week.

Tip the cap to Pitt's kicker who has a terrible name for a kicker... Blewitt. We used to have a head basketball coach named that. Difference in the game perhaps was they blocked a long FG attempt at the end of the 1st half by us and they made their long FG attempt at the end of the 2nd half.

The most questionable sequence today for me was we were backed up inside our own 15 yard line, 1st and 10 in the 3rd quarter I think it was and the game was tied (working off memory, could be wrong)...and, we decide to drop JT5 back on 1st and 2nd down plays - the first of which JT5 was very lucky he wasn't sacked for a safety. Pass blocking was scary bad as the game progressed. Guys whiffing and in some cases not even touching pass rushers...and then, we are going to come out and start throwing the ball back inside our 15? Strange.

Oh well. Congrats to Pitt. And, congrats to Tyler Boyd on setting the new school record for receptions. He has a bright future in the NFL. Hard to imagine how seriously good this Panthers team would be if they had not lost James Conner. Again, frustrating loss for the Good Guys, but there were some good things to take away from today...well, for the offensive side of the ball IMO. The defense still smells really bad and we are zero threat to do anything whatsoever in the return game(s). Then again, we don't force many punts to start. KO returns - when we get the chance - are a joke for us. No threat at all. Just glad if we can get it back out beyond the 20 is my hope.

Amen! Give it to him 25 times a game. 3 words again... PLAY...THE...YOUNG'UNS!

30...34...38...43...31...with a bunch of seniors out there. Sad.

Yep, that was a truly baffling sequence of plays deep in our own territory when it had been fully established that our pass protection was broken beyond repair. Very fortunate that decision didn't gift wrap them a safety.

The Pitt staff showed us just how much of a perceived (and real) threat our KO return team is when they kicked it deep with less than two on the clock holding a 3 point lead. Sheesh.

Will Bryan looked really good run blocking in space. He sprung key blocks on several of our long runs today. His ability to get a hat on a linebacker on the 2nd level is reminiscent of Shaq Mason. He didn't fare well in pass pro but he flashed enough in the run game for this Tech fan to think he could be a future all-ACC type lineman. The 2015 class looks to be at least as good as advertised. If the staff can follow that up with a strong 2016 group, better days are ahead.

Anyway, that game played out about as we all figured it would (high scoring and close) but the breaks just didn't go our way…again. This team is bad and unlucky. Not a good combination.

Yep, that was a truly baffling sequence of plays deep in our own territory when it had been fully established that our pass protection was broken beyond repair. Very fortunate that decision didn't gift wrap them a safety.

The Pitt staff showed us just how much of a perceived (and real) threat our KO return team is when they kicked it deep with less than two on the clock holding a 3 point lead. Sheesh.

Will Bryan looked really good run blocking in space. He sprung key blocks on several of our long runs today. His ability to get a hat on a linebacker on the 2nd level is reminiscent of Shaq Mason. He didn't fare well in pass pro but he flashed enough in the run game for this Tech fan to think he could be a future all-ACC type lineman. The 2015 class looks to be at least as good as advertised. If the staff can follow that up with a strong 2016 group, better days are ahead.

Anyway, that game played out about as we all figured it would (high scoring and close) but the breaks just didn't go our way…again. This team is bad and unlucky. Not a good combination.
Like GTJT glad Will got to play now get more the the younger players in and build for next year.
Not sure what to do with the defense. ( anyone ? )

On paper our defense is going to take a big step back next year (is that even possible?). For the remainder of this season I would like to see more ramblin' and gamblin' on defense. Overload gaps and bring numbers. Stop 'em or let 'em score quick.

I look forward to watching Adam Gotsis play on Sundays next year.

I believe kids want to play aggressive, in an upbeat, stunting type scheme. My knock on Ted was that he always was more of a read and react coach. Last year we looked better at the end with blitzes galore, creating turnovers. Looked like we were having fun on defense.

Like to see us do more of that, less of the sit back on our heels.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texwood-
I agree with almost all of what you stated above. Did you notice any decent pass protection? JT5 looks like he is running for his life on every play. Definetly affecting some of his decision making. Do we change out Sewak and Ray? One of the two? Neither? Is CPJ giving enough input in this area?

I noticed Paul really giving it to Chris Milton on a long pass play surrendered, later turned into a TD. Guess Milton is one of the ones who can be chewed out, although he was giving Coach enough feedback to keep it going.

Last edited:
I believe kids want to play aggressive, in an upbeat, stunting type scheme. My knock on Ted was that he always was more of a read and react coach. Last year we looked better at the end with blitzes galore, creating turnovers. Looked like we were having fun on defense.

I agree 10000000000000000000% I hate see us play a bend and brake defense we play. Blitz more Roof take a chance once, Columbus did and he has a holiday named after him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texwood-
I agree with almost all of what you stated above. Did you notice any decent pass protection? JT5 looks like he is running for his life on every play. Definetly affecting some of his decision making. Do we change out Sewak and Ray? One of the two? Neither? Is CPJ giving enough input in this area?

I noticed Paul really giving it to Chris Milton on a long pass play surrendered, later turned into a TD. Guess Milton is one of the ones who can be chewed out, although he was giving Coach enough feedback to keep it going.

Buzzforlife-

Sewak is a really tough call. He knows more about blocking CPJ's spread than anyone - hard stop. I have no doubt Sewak was CPJ's first hire after accepting the job here. He's also one of the most personable and likable coaches in the profession.

All that said, we have now witnessed two experienced offensive lines under Sewak that were clearly and utterly lost (2013 & 2015). CPJ made a comment about "less drama" when discussing last year's offensive line. I suspect the lack of drama had a lot to do with Shaq Mason being the undisputed leader of that line. My guess is that Shaq was doing a lot of coaching last year in the sense of being a leader of men.

There are coaches who are remarkably talented when it comes to X's and O's who haven't a clue how to lead men. I offer up Marc Trestman and recently fired Joe Philbin from *MY* Miami Dolphins as poster boys in this regard.

I think this is the reason we have had two offensive line coaches during the entirety of CPJ's tenure. I don't know what to change, but change is clearly necessary.

I guess if I were to play CPJ for the day, I would keep Sewak on staff in a consulting role and bring in a proven leader/motivator from my coaching tree to run the O-line.

Last edited:
Interesting idea Tex., concerning CMS(I spoke to him at a signing day banquet a few years back, just like you spoke of his personality). He is always organized and prepared. Do you think he could consult and be the STeams Coach too? Then we hire the other guy you are referring to?

IMHO, we need that ST Coach equally bad!

I am no expert ( unless we're talking about drinking beer and than I'm second to GTJT) but what I think we need is what we had the first couple of years here. I remember people did not understand why we had 2 OL coaches. One coached the tackles the other coaches the center and guards.
I don't think we have to have a ST Coach if your not playing your best 11.

Speaking of Shaq Mason, on the NBC Game of the Week last night, Chris Collinsworth stated Pats O-Coordinator stated that and I quote... "Shaq Mason is the most athletic offensive guard I've coached in my career".

Quite a statement.

Maybe I missed it during the Clemson game the week before, but when did we move to the offense pausing and looking over to the sidelines for hand-signaled plays being signed in?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT