ADVERTISEMENT

Game 6 Microscope: Clemson Tigers

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Tech leads the all-time series with the Kitty Cats, 51-27. Since Tech joined the ACC, the Jackets have a slight edge over the Orangenecks, 17-16. Clemson has defeated Tech 3 straight at Memorial Stadium and 4 of the last 5. The home team in this series has won the last 6 straight. Clemson is Tech's 4th most frequently played rival behind Georgia, Auburn and Duke.

The Tigers open with 2 should be easy wins at home over Wofford and Appalachian State. They then face a stern test on national TV on a Thursday night at Atlantic Division rival, Louisville. They get a bye week before hosting Notre Dame and then host the Good Guys. If the Tigers and Jackets can take care of business in their first 4-5 games, this is a candidate for ESPN Game Day to be on Clemson's campus.

Clemson has to travel to Miami this year. Their schedule, like Tech's, is very tough as they not only have cross-division games with Tech and Miami, but they have to face Notre Dame and South Carolina out of conference. There of course is FSU, Louisville and a dangerous NC State team within their division as well. If Clemson can get to Charlotte with an 11-1 record, their strength of schedule (like GT's) should help them in the eyes of the playoff committee with a chance to book a ticket with an ACCCG win.

Clemson lost a lot on defense, but Swinney and crew have recruited very well over the last 5 years so I think they mostly just reload there. A healthy DeShaun Watson could spell wonderful times for the talented Clemson offense. They always have speedy WR's. Tech must get some kind of pass rush going to force Watson to get rid of the ball quicker than he desires or it will be a very long day for Tech potentially. I do think Tech will score. Even in losses at Death Valley in the last 2 meetings, Tech has put up 31 pts in each game. The problem of course has been giving up 47 and 55 pts.

There have been so many great games in this series, where do you begin? Fridge moving in '84. "The Catch" in 2000. The arrival of Calvin Johnson in the miracle win in '04. Woddy Dantzler running all over Grant Field in 2001. Enjoy...

We have to start with the 2004 miracle at Clemson...

And, here's The Catch in 2000 at Clemson...

Should be another classic in this series and one that has not only ACC but potentially national implications.

Louisville will most likely be their first loss. Not sure how Notre Dame will be this year, but I expect that to be a real close game, could go either way.

GT needs to win in Clemson, break the streak. But if Clemson comes in with two losses already, they will be playing for their season and as motivated as ever.

Clemson is playing very well. They reloaded their Oline much better than most do.

If Tech could not contain UNC's QB on the read option and draw plays, there is no hope against Watson.

I am surprised GT is within 14 points on the spread in this one. Injuries have decimated the depth and all these freshmen can not sustain their blocks to get the big yardage plays as consistently as last year.

Not looking forward to this game. Not sure we can score more than 14 points.
Less then 5 passes by Tech would mean we win or lose a close one
Less then 10 passes we lose by 10-14
Less then 15 passes we lose by 17-24
More then 20 passes you really don't want to watch

After my picks the last three weeks, going with more than 20 passes by GT in desperation. Behind all day, losing 49-12.

Wonder if I can trade our lower level seats with two of those sit on the moon after walking on it, upper, upper deck achrophobia ones? That way, we really, really don't have to watch because we won't see any of it anyway!

Clemson is playing very well. They reloaded their Oline much better than most do.

If Tech could not contain UNC's QB on the read option and draw plays, there is no hope against Watson.

I am surprised GT is within 14 points on the spread in this one. Injuries have decimated the depth and all these freshmen can not sustain their blocks to get the big yardage plays as consistently as last year.

That line has to drift up....it's utterly insane to think GT can keep this under 20+. See, I'm trying a different approach here. The last 3 weeks I said we'd cover AND get the win. Let's hope my prognostication prowess is equally miserable this week.

There is no need to do reverse mojo, the Tigers will roar in this one!

This might be the most pschitzophrenic bunch since the Billl Llllewis days. With the injuries, the youth, lack of chemistry, including the coaching staffs' inability to right the ship....

History lesson, without viewing the History Channel:

Through the years, Memorial Stadium has become known as "Death Valley." It was tagged this by the late Presbyterian coach, Lonnie McMillan. After bringing his P.C.teams to Clemson for years and getting whipped, McMillan said the place was like Death Valley.

Let me offer up this glimmer of hope. I'm going to have to miss this game…completely. I won't even have internet or cell network access when it's going down. Therefore, it stands to reason that this will not only be a win for the good guys, but an unforgettable season turning victory that will be talked about for generations to come. Because that's how I roll.

Let me offer up this glimmer of hope. I'm going to have to miss this game…completely. I won't even have internet or cell network access when it's going down. Therefore, it stands to reason that this will not only be a win for the good guys, but an unforgettable season turning victory that will be talked about for generations to come. Because that's how I roll.
Tex your one of the good guys, if we could win I'd like you to see it and enjoy. I hope your right but I still don't feet it.

And you other 3 are good guys also.

Last edited:
We lost last week, but the OL sprung to life against UNC. There weren't many missed assignments on the 2nd level - which is what has plagued this line in every game this season (even the blowout wins). I have no idea why it took this long, but I think our OL is finally functioning like a senior-laden, experienced unit should be expected to function.

We are now full strength at WR and I have to think the staff will find a way to get the ball into Marcus Marshall's hands...a lot. The kid may not be able to block yet, but he's a threat to take the rock to the house with every touch. The UNC game made it clear that we are in desperate need of a playmaker in the backfield not named Justin - so I look for the staff to make the necessary adjustments.

With Gamble and Gotsis back in on defense we should be infinitely better with our rush lane integrity - the breakdown of which was an ABSOLUTE KILLER in the UNC game. The breakdowns there were egregious and devastating. That won't be happening with Gamble and Gotsis on the field.

Bottom line, I think we have a legit shot in this one.

We get Gotsis for the entire Clemson game because the targeting call occurred during the 1st half of the UNC game.

Adam Gotsis is eligible to play the entire CU game. The rule interpreted allows a first half violation as sitting out that half and one more half.

Gamble should return, also. From injury.

Woops. Sorry for the bad info. I obviously thought it was mandatory first half of next game regardless of when penalty occurred. Glad we got him for full 60 at Orangeneckville. We need him.

Woops. Sorry for the bad info. I obviously thought it was mandatory first half of next game regardless of when penalty occurred. Glad we got him for full 60 at Orangeneckville. We need him.
I'm going to make a note on this first time I remember you being wrong:)

I was wrong once back in 1977. Just ordered plain hash browns at Waffle House and not covered and smothered. I blame The Hill.

Violated. Penetrated. Tought hopefully not impregnated.

Home team now owns this series every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT