ADVERTISEMENT

Game 3 Microscope: Notre Dame

Is that you buddy, or did George Carlin reincarnate your body-coming back as a YellowJacket?

We have a thread going on the Hive today about you. One poster thinks this is a hiatus of yours...however some of us know better. Never this long and when the football season started, that cinched it.

So who is going to win this weekend? Tech straight up?

kjmc, buzzbomb, were all taken on this site. Must have been me registering in my sleep, because I don't drink if you recall. Maybe Keith took my names, he drinks plenty, correct?

Hey mate, great to seeing you posting over here. Hopefully you'll make it your home.

As far as who is going to win this weekend, I really like Oregon at home over Georgia State. I mean, they are favored by 45 points and all. :p

I see you're staying away from the GT game, as for prognostication sake. The ND TE is most likely out with an ankle. Glad we don't have to worry about that position!

You had to remember my Alma Mater, didn't you good mate? The Panthers did win last week, although we couldn't find our way to New Mex. to see the second coming(I meant the second win in two years). We had a little date with some green people over by North Ave./BDWay. Your buddy CTR nearly ran us over while drinking a Coke Zero under the West Stands before the 2nd half started. He was clearing out a path to the elevator. My 16 year-old is over 6' and 225lbs, however I told him watch out for that LBer in sweats approaching...he will run you over, as he went to classes with JT who now resides in French Country.

Reminds me of the time we were losing a bunch of games after Ted left. Was sitting in the lower part of the West Stands coming down the steps at halftime with food for the guys. Who is bolting up the steps to probably wind up in the booth for the second half? None other than the Fridge, Ralph Freidgen. I lost a hot dog or two towards the ground or his stomach, not sure which. True story about him bumping me with food in my hand. I think it was Chuck Prifer(sp.?)right behind him? Leonard's Loser: Kirk!

The Irish hold a 27-6-1 lead in the series. The 1 tie was monumental in Tech FB lore. I recall sitting with my back to President Pettit's box that Novemberday. Current Tennessee Titans HC Ken Whisenhunt was moved into the QB role as a true freshman to manage the 3-3 tie over #1 ND. I say "over" because it truly was viewed as a win for a Tech team who wound up the season with a 1-9-1 record. Whisenhunt was an emergency QB that day and played the remainder of his career at TE for Tech and enjoyed a nice NFL career at that position.

ALMOST forgot to comment on this game(well it was towards the end of the season and propelled our hated mutts into the #1 slot over the Irish). I wound up with 50 yd. line seats because the boys were all busy and gave all of those seats away...the old put four tickets under the windshield wipers at the Varsity and come back out to find eight left. Was taking a model(eye candy, Lori from Buffalo to her first GT game). Like you said, Darrell Gast, Stu Rogers, et al, we're all out and Curry moved the Whise. over as a freshman. It took a John Carney FG to tie it near the end. Bittersweet!

Love the comment years ago from CPJ when asked about VanGorder's comment on the offensive style. "There's a record, go for it" Classic response. Proud of his accomplishments a Ga Southern but if you can do better go for it.

I am sure VanGorder has been burning up all his former contacts in Georgia about defending GT. He'll have a plan ready. Let's see how he responds to the adjustments.

It was confirmed that ND will be without their number 1 TE, Durham Smythe for the rest of the season.

Foot / shoulder injury. Sidelined for the year.

In the depth is plenty of quality. And with the way Kelly has used his TE's in the last couple of years, I don't think it will be all that big of a deal. Behind him is:
Tyler Luatua - SO 6-3 255lbs (mainly blocking)
Nic Weishar - SO 6-4 241lbs (can catch well)
Aliz'e Jones - FR 6-5 240lbs (catches great!)
Chase Houndshell - 5th year 6-5 255 (mainly blocking)

If there was a position that ND could afford a guy injured, TE by far is it. There is a ton of talent behind him. Why they are known as TE U at this point.

Irish Blooded-

Do you have that depth at all positions? Is your team really top 10 and/or do you see wins over GT and at Clemson, etc.?

I don't think they are top 10. I think they are 15th to 20th as of right now.

Yes they do have depth. Or at least the best depth I can remember having in the last 15 or so years. And so far, the bulk of the injuries have been on the offensive side of the ball. And with the exception of Zaire (QB), at positions with decent depth and not season deciding. Now in the instance of Zaire out for the season. Who knows. He is a great QB and was doing well so far. But I can't tell you much (game wise) about Kizer. Other than the few plays he had in the Virginia game.

As far as quality of opponent I have GTech at 3rd toughest opponent the top 5 are:
1 USC
2 Clemson
3 GTech
4 Stanford / PITT (tie)
5 Navy

IF ND can play their positions, and if they can actually block the A and B gap. ND wins. If they instead do a bunch of wild blitz packages with a team with a small pass rush, GTech wins going away.

As of right now I have ND by 3 for homefield advantage. And the bonus that GTech doesn't really have any tape on the new ND QB to know what to scheme for.

Yes they did. But that is still a very quality offense, they have a load of quality depth from the last couple of recruiting classes. And Watson is a beast. Would be in my top 3 of QB's in the country right now.

I have Clemson / GTech playing for the conference title. Don't know who will win it. Never know what injuries will be. But with a full roster anything can happen.

I think Watson is a very good QB and will only get better. We should learn a TON about him tomorrow night on short rest and road trip to Louisville. When you look at his stats from last year, he rolled up huge stats against pathetic defenses in a few games. He hasn't "done it" against strong competition to date...though, I want to be clear he definitely has the tools, scheme and cast to be very special.

With the roadie at UofL tomorrow, a week off, hosting ND, and hosting GT in Weeks 3 thru 6, we should have a very good read on Watson and the Kitty Cats by mid-season. If he navigates and leads his team to a sweep of those 3, then turn on the Heisman candidate campaign. Until then, I'll wait and see. Clemson, like Ga Tech, plays a brutal schedule. But, that also provides opportunity. Clemson and Watson will have a lot more games later this season on big stages to shine - at NC State in the annual Textile Bowl, at Miami, FSU, at South Carolina.

Don't know how they convinced the ACC to give them two rented wins at the front of the schedule. A Thursday night with Louisville, then a BYE week, all before ND. If they don't pull that game out, they have serious issues.

Don't know how they convinced the ACC to give them two rented wins at the front of the schedule. A Thursday night with Louisville, then a BYE week, all before ND. If they don't pull that game out, they have serious issues.
The guy in the little blue dress ( Commissioner ) thought it was UNC ( Inside joke)

Coverage map for this weekend's game in South Bend...

usmap.gif

The areas in yellow will be getting the game. And yes, I have confirmed there are 4 or 5 TV sets in the state of West Virginia which will be able to get the signal...well, hopefully. ;)

The guy in the little blue dress ( Commissioner ) thought it was UNC ( Inside joke)

It is so cool having you over here full-.time!

I'd have to call you out(like in the prediction thread)on the other site where you can't use numbers like six or mention a certain coach from the early to mid '90's.

You haven't written a letter to CPJ in a raccoons age. The blue dress thing makes it tough to exert bladder control at my advancing age. Thanks buddy!

Yes I wrote CPJ but you need to make sure GTJT talks to CTR and let him know which defense to use. You do know it was GTJT call on the last play in the uga game .
The letter was a long one but here it is.
CPJ- win
Thanks the beer guy ( Bud Light)

Last edited:

usmap.gif

The areas in yellow will be getting the game. And yes, I have confirmed there are 4 or 5 TV sets in the state of West Virginia which will be able to get the signal...well, hopefully. ;)

Thanks for the Rand McNally.
Contemplating leaving the Extended Stay Motel, and their 42" television provided.
West Va. is tempting though. I hear the trailers would be more inexpensive. The lack of electricity in some of those mountains might make it a tougher decision. I have to be able to plug the Presto Pizza Maker in. I do own my own 1100 watt microwave, which might not make it across their state lines. I hear the cannibals, I mean residents, cook fleshy dishes within them. Gas ovens have been banded?

Kind of figured one of these here United States wouldn't beee compatible with DTV. Them mountaineers are it!

Yes I wrote CPJ but you need to make sure GTJT talks to CTR and let him know which defense to use. You do know it was GTJT call on the last play in the uga game .
The letter was a long one but here it is.
CPJ- win
Thanks the beer guy ( Bud Light)

So when you had your fourth heart attack during the game it was GTJT's fault or CTR or both?

I will be awaiting your next letter with bated breath, or is it baited breath?

Thank you for reposting the letter. I am trying to find a frame large enough for it. Maybe we can hang it in the vicinity of one of your statues? GTJT permitting!

So when you had your fourth heart attack during the game it was GTJT's fault or CTR or both?

I will be awaiting your next letter with bated breath, or is it baited breath?

Thank you for reposting the letter. I am trying to find a frame large enough for it. Maybe we can hang it in the vicinity of one of your statues? GTJT permitting!

I am merely a consultant. I tell CTR what to do and get paid for it. If it works, I take the credit. If it fails, then it is poor execution on behalf of the receiver of my guidance.

stech's letter was too long for me to read. Somebody please provide the condensed version if possible.

As far as statues go, I saw a 3rd grader in a Pop Warner game two weeks ago carry the rock for 5 TD's and at least 260 yards on just 5 carries. He is listing the Jackets in his final 3 which includes Virginia Tech and JMU. His dad told me he will be doing the pick-the-cap ceremony after coming back from recess at school one day in November. If he picks the Jackets, stech should go ahead and commence on fusing a statue together from his tons of Bud Light can pop tops.

Stay tuned...

I am merely a consultant. I tell CTR what to do and get paid for it. If it works, I take the credit. If it fails, then it is poor execution on behalf of the receiver of my guidance.

stech's letter was too long for me to read. Somebody please provide the condensed version if possible.

As far as statues go, I saw a 3rd grader in a Pop Warner game two weeks ago carry the rock for 5 TD's and at least 260 yards on just 5 carries. He is listing the Jackets in his final 3 which includes Virginia Tech and JMU. His dad told me he will be doing the pick-the-cap ceremony after coming back from recess at school one day in November. If he picks the Jackets, stech should go ahead and commence on fusing a statue together from his tons of Bud Light can pop tops.

Stay tuned...
If he going to do the pick-the-hat ceremony it ain't been good for us. I still have the statue of ( you know who) and trying to sell it to JMU.

usmap.gif

The question isn't whether or not, Television will carry the GT-ND game, the question is whether the rabbit ears can pick it up, and if the electricity will be on to power the TV.

GH

Since we discussed the Clemson -Louisville match-up earlier.

I am not sure how impressed with either team last night...

I think Clemson could have exploited the edges of Louisville's defense all night, but wouldn't do it. Both team have very good d-lines.

But Louisville missed that FG at the end of the game again. I know that kicker feels terrible right now.

Georgia Tech became an ally, friend, and rival of ND's through the black 1920's when Michigan and Ohio State blackballed ND and kept them out of the Big 10 (Western Conference). They sent out the word that conference members weren't suppose to play ND. Thanks to their efforts and the Yellow Jackets help ND Football became a household name in the 1920's and moving forward. Under Coach Knute Rockne ND took to the tracks and began playing the best teams in the country. One of the things that excited me about the ACC agreement was the renewal of this game. Win or lose it's fun having the great team from the South back in ND Stadium.

Reactions: Pennick4
If you start getting too many yards, the box will get loaded and stunts will ensue.

The plan will be in sticking with the base defense, a lot of 4-2-5. Fuller will see a safety watching that hitch and go or post route he runs. Milton is a fine cover corner, so Coach said they are not going to overcompensate on Will by leaving others wide open to hurt us.

For any that made the trip hope you enjoyed the campus. Had a chance to drink a few with a few of you today. And the weather even held out. Was a great time.

Classy fan base. Classy team. Hope yall tear up your ACC schedule

Totally agree about BVG eating Paul's lunch today. He seemed to be extremely emotional and taking this game personal for his defense. Not that I expected CPJ to be who he is not by jumping up and down and high fiving the players. With the intense pressure they were putting on JT5(option game and long down/ distance for obvious passing yards needed), the longer routes were silly early on. It was good to see us go with the intermediate routes to the backs or set up screens with a wall of blockers.

Easy to second guess when we hurt...we feel that pain because we care...we care since we are fans of our team...losses make one feel empty, while wins bring us together more easily than the defeats do. This philosophy brought to you by "reading too many GT sites within 24 hours of a loss". We are 1/4 through with the season. It all happens so fast!

Think about the state of Alabama tonight. And congrats to the ND fans on here. Nice execution!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT