ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS RECRUITING Emptying the OTE Notebook..

Russell Johnson

Recruiting Analyst / Managing Editor
Staff
May 19, 2016
This has been a long-time coming, my apologies for the delay as football recruiting has been just a little bit busy..

I spent time last week at Overtime Elite, and got the chance to get a feel for what's happening there, the relationships being built by GT coaches, and the pipeline being built between the two parties.

Below I have my takeaways and quotes on Jaeden Mustaf,, Darrion Sutton, Daquan Davis, and Mikel Brown Jr.

Jaeden Mustaf-

Mustaf impressed in every facet of the game I was in attendance for. He is extremely excited about his Georgia Tech future.

“My whole family is tough,” said Mustaf as he described his mentality in the 4th quarter as his team’s big lead started to shrink. “When things get tough, we don’t back down from anything.”

“I see a lot of progress, I’ve been impressed,” said Mustaf about his thoughts from year one (so far) for Stoudamire at GT. "He’s a great coach. I’ve been there for the wins and the losses, but just seeing the team compete, I’m fired up about getting the chance to play in that atmosphere, in front of those fans. They’ve been showing out.”

On what he has seen from GT this season, and how he believes he can fit in-
"It’s an NBA style offensively, a lot of pick and roll stuff. I know I can bring that defensive intensity to help close out games. Every game has been close this season."

On recruiting Daquan Davis to join him-
That’s my boy. When we on the court we aren’t friends, but that’s my guy. I’ve known him for YEARS. Me and Darrion both been on him.”

On recruiting Bryson Tiller to join him-
"I'm trying to see what I can do 👀"

On what goes through his head matching up defensively with future teammate Darrion Sutton.
“It is fun playing against Darrion Sutton now,” said Mustaf following a matchup against his future teammate. “Knowing that we will be on the same team next year, I still get mad when he scores on me, but next year I want him to keep doing the things he is doing.”

Darrion Sutton-

RWE head coach Corey Frazier on Sutton’s game-
"Swiss army knife, we play him wherever we need him. Right now, we have him playing the backup point, kind of like a point forward. Long defender, really good passer, and has a really high basketball IQ. He can hold his own defensively from the 1-4. Strong rebounder, too."

On who his player comp is/favorite player-
"They had been comparing me to Lamar Odom, so I went and watched a bunch of videos of him. My favorite player is James Harden, though."

On recruiting Daquan-
“He knows where home is. We feed off of each other every game we play together. It is a lot of fun playing with him.

Daquan Davis-

Davis went off on Tuesday night for RWE in a matchup against Blue Checks, finishing with a near triple-double that included 28 points, 7 assists, and 9 rebounds.

“They’ve been on me hard,” said Davis about the push from Georgia Tech. “Jaeden and Darrion say something about GT every single day. Literally every day. I hope to get on an official soon”

On his impression of Stoudamire, and what playing for him would mean to him-
“It would mean a lot to play for him,” said Davis about the idea of playing for GT head coach Damon Stoudamire. “It means a lot in general to me that he even wants me. He was a big time PG in the NBA.”

Mikel Brown Jr.-

Mikel Brown Jr. was in the second game of the double-header I attended earlier this month, and whenever he was on the floor, the game just felt like it was at a different level.

Brown Jr. is one of the top recruits in the country regardless of class, and is currently a five-star in the 2025 class. With an official visit to Alabama in the books, Brown Jr. was at Georgia Tech over the weekend, and had the chance to really spend some time with the members of the Georgia Tech coaching staff.

He quickly shot down any talk of reclassification during our time together, but did say that things have been picking up recently between he and Georgia Tech leading up to the visit over the weekend. I have reached out since, but am yet to hear back.

Brown Jr. has a great relationship with Damon Stoudamire and coach Karl Hobbs, and he admitted he has seen communication with them pick up in recent weeks.

Georgia Tech is involved in this one regardless of what class he ends up in, but from what I have gathered things really could pick up with them if he does reclassify.

Regardless of what happens with that, though, it is very likely Brown Jr. takes an OV sooner than later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News