ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Defensive Coordinator Search Update 1/4

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
I know everyone has been plotting conspiracies, wondering about X, Y, Z, and so forth. I've been laughing my ass off at some of the conjecture from posters on here about what is going on.

This week is the first real week of serious interviews and whatnot. Key has cast a wide net and my top list of candidates was pretty dead on per a very highly placed source who was impressed with how many I nailed. There are two others in play that would be big names as well. Key hasn't been shy about reaching out and making the ask to gauge interest from DCs. I am holding back putting those names out until I confirm they actually had a serious interview because it usually just causes a shitstorm and burns sources if it is not serious. As an example, he talked to Sean Lewis in the last cycle during his OC search and he was the hottest name at the time in CFB. Key isn't afraid to interview people or make the ask. It worked out great with Buster Faulkner and that was a long process to make that decision. Key isn't going to be rushed into a hire.

The AFCA convention is this weekend as well and that is typically the time when a lot of business gets done.

Out of my initial list of serious candidates, I would scratch Kevin Sherrer off the list. I think he may stick around in some capacity, but I just don't see him being the DC hire.

As others have noted, there hasn't been a hire. Key didn't hire Jess Simpson because he is hiring Tyler Santucci. That is not really how DC hires work. Nick Saban hired his entire staff and put Kevin Steele in. CPJ did the same thing with each of his DCs with Nate Woody being the only one who even added an assistant (Shiel Wood in his case) from his own tree. Offense is more predicated on chemistry and experience working together and most defensive staffs are based on specific positions as the schemes are not exactly rocket science to teach.

Key is exploring every avenue per my sources and putting his GT brain to work. The program is run with Key as the CEO and he is not trying to coach the offense or the defense, but instead run the ship and make the big calls and build the personnel to fit within what he wants. He also understands his own coaching limitations something others who have been in charge here didn't.

Another thing to note is Key is keeping this very quiet, unlike the OC search. I think he is really trying to hit a home run here like he did with the Simpson hire and doesn't want to create drama or get much leaked out until he has it wrapped up.

People are going to ask about UNC and LSU openings and if that impacts things. I'm not sure. LSU is after the Mizzou DC, if the Mizzou DC takes it then they'll promote from within to replace him. UNC, I have no clue. He hired Chizik out of retirement and before that Jay Bateman from Army at the time. I'm not sure a lot of guys are going to line up for Mack Brown at the moment given how poorly that has gone for several guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News