ADVERTISEMENT

David Teel: 9-game ACC FB conference schedule is possible

Not sure how I feel about this, would someone tell me if I like the idea or not.

You enjoy good opponents after season tickets for 32 years. You would rather see a conference game vs. say a Miss. Valley St.

Let's hope we would take them off of the schedule, instead of a team in this state(Ga. South., Ga. St., Mercer, Kenn. St.)or the other cross sectional contest(Vandy., BYU, Aub., Tenn., Miss., et al.). We're fairly certain Uga is always the third non-league game.

I am not sure about this, seems like the teams would be giving up an easy win.

how often would this happen? 9 conf games + ND in rotation + uGA leaves only room for one cupcake. It would be hard to find any ooc home/homes to fit into the rotation.

Not sure how I feel about this, would someone tell me if I like the idea or not.

You should like it. Means we get to see the Jackets and Noles play more frequently in the regular season among some other games versus Atlantic foes more frequently.

I will never ever understand fans who want cupcakes over intriguing games. Looney tunes. Very soccer-mom-ish where we are ALL WINNERS and we ALL GET TROPHIES for participating! Ugh.

Does this mean my "participation" ribbons have no value?
Being on the Badmitton Team and raising my hand to come out when tired, was all for not?

Next thing you're going to tell me is that guy dressed up in the red suit with an extra pillow is not Santa Claus, but instead a "happy faced" Stech81?

Santa Claus is dead. A guy named Julio has taken his spot. Julio is more efficient and far less show-boaty in his methods. I mean, going down a chimney might have worked 50 years ago when people left their doors unlocked while sleeping overnight. Far less safe today and quite frankly who needs all the drama - other than maybe Demetris Robertson and his brother-guardian of course?

Speaking of, has Susan Lucci decommitted to Cal and reopened his recruiting yet? I mean, it's been a few weeks and we haven't heard any announcements of upcoming announcements. Withdrawals have to be kicking in for that drama queen by now.

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Rumor has it, he is visiting Hollyweird or is it Hollywood-while he is in California?
Is Lucci still out there? Good tour guide for him.

You should like it. Means we get to see the Jackets and Noles play more frequently in the regular season among some other games versus Atlantic foes more frequently.

I will never ever understand fans who want cupcakes over intriguing games. Looney tunes. Very soccer-mom-ish where we are ALL WINNERS and we ALL GET TROPHIES for participating! Ugh.

I am with you about intriguing games, I just think this would make those game harder to secure outside the conference.

I am with you about intriguing games, I just think this would make those game harder to secure outside the conference.

9 ACC games + Cesspool every year gives us 10 intriguing games at minimum. We get ND once every 3 years. We will schedule a non-intriguing cupcake every year not requiring a return trip. That leaves 2 spots open every 3 years to do a home-and-away with an "intriguing" opponent - if you want to call Vanderbilt or Ole Miss or UCF or the like "intriguing".

Should be manageable. The less opportunity for these AD's to schedule meaningless games and force their hand to schedule meaningful games to add value to the dollar contributions to season ticket holders, the better.

Lets get back to the point of the article. MORE Inventory. ESPN wants more ratings and more inventory of meaningful games. The ACC owns broadcast rights to the home games of the conference. So would there be more inventory for ESPN by adding more conference games (1/2 are at home) or by scheduling meaningful OOC opponents which would probably be home/homes (1/2 are at home)? Seems like the ADs could accomplish the same goal by just scheduling better.

Can the ACC Guarantee that each team will have at least 6 or 7 home games a game ? Playing 9 conference games means every other year you would only play 4 of those at home. What if that is the year you have uga and ND on the road ?

Lets get back to the point of the article. MORE Inventory. ESPN wants more ratings and more inventory of meaningful games. The ACC owns broadcast rights to the home games of the conference. So would there be more inventory for ESPN by adding more conference games (1/2 are at home) or by scheduling meaningful OOC opponents which would probably be home/homes (1/2 are at home)? Seems like the ADs could accomplish the same goal by just scheduling better.

You're talking about adding 7 conference games. That's pretty much 1 game each weekend for October and November. Some of those 7 games aren't going to wow anybody. But, the occasional Clemson-Miami, GT-FSU, Va Tech-Louisville, etc., will help.

I wish hoops would move to 20 ACC games. It would be interesting to see if the ACC went to 9 meaning 4 of the 5 P5 conferences are at 9 conference games leaving the SEC the only one at 8 games whether that means anything or not. Probably not, but would be interesting nonetheless.

from the article:

Fortunately, those commitments aren’t as cumbersome as they could be.

By sheer coincidence, Atlantic Division schools Clemson, Florida State and Louisville are on the same rotation with their SEC rivals, home in even-numbered years, road in odd-numbered. Meanwhile, the Coastal Division’s Georgia Tech is on the opposite rotation, facing Georgia at home in odd years and on the road in even.

So in crafting a nine-game conference schedule, the ACC could have Coastal teams play five road and four home league contests in odd years, the Atlantic five road and four home in even. That way, no ACC school would play at its SEC rival in the same season it had five road conference games.

Can the ACC Guarantee that each team will have at least 6 or 7 home games a game ? Playing 9 conference games means every other year you would only play 4 of those at home. What if that is the year you have uga and ND on the road ?

From Teel's article it makes sense that the ACC could do everything it can to fix the schedule so that we have 5 ACC home games in seasons when we travel to the Cesspool and 4 home ACC games in seasons when we host the Scumbags. What happens with the other 2 games is under our control less the years we play ND either in Michiana or at home. I don't think the ACC can or will guarantee anything. Those would be the parameters and what we do with the other open spots to get to 7 home games every year or every other year or every 2 out of 3 years or whatever is up to us.

Playing 9 ACC games + Cesspool more than achieves the unwritten requirements that may exist in people's minds that we are playing a tough "enough" schedule most years. And once every 3 years with ND it surpasses any expectations I'd think.

And it was not a coincidence. The ACC asked GT to have two away games at Clemson to even out the schedule.

I don't know if the ACC drove that decision or if we did. Our even-numbered year season ticket package was putrid compared to odd-numbered year at the time. That's been fixed now.

Ok just to show y'all how dumb I am this is how I feel. I like the 8 game schedule . I like playing uga ( would like to win more) I would like to play one good or avg team from another power 5 conference . Now that leaves 2 games I would like to play a team like Troy or Georgia southern some one like those teams. The last game I don't care as long as it is a home game. I know others don't like playing easy games but I do because it gives me a chance to see players I would not get to see. I know that sounds dumb but that is how I feel.
I know others want an ACCN but more money is not going to help win if you don't spend that money right. ( and the question is would we? )

I don't know if the ACC drove that decision or if we did. Our even-numbered year season ticket package was putrid compared to odd-numbered year at the time. That's been fixed now.
ACC did so they could make the schedule work. It just so happened that it allowed GT to move uGA and Clemson into opposite rotations so GT was ok with it. It wouldn't surpise me if DRad didn't bring it up during the scedule conversation just to make points with the ACC leadership.

ACC did so they could make the schedule work. It just so happened that it allowed GT to move uGA and Clemson into opposite rotations so GT was ok with it. It wouldn't surpise me if DRad didn't bring it up during the scedule conversation just to make points with the ACC leadership.

'Make the schedule work' as in with the newbies coming into the expanded ACC? If so, that makes sense. Regardless of what was the onus to do it, I think it ultimately will have helped balance out our schedule better.

Ok just to show y'all how dumb I am this is how I feel. I like the 8 game schedule . I like playing uga ( would like to win more) I would like to play one good or avg team from another power 5 conference . Now that leaves 2 games I would like to play a team like Troy or Georgia southern some one like those teams. The last game I don't care as long as it is a home game. I know others don't like playing easy games but I do because it gives me a chance to see players I would not get to see. I know that sounds dumb but that is how I feel.
I know others want an ACCN but more money is not going to help win if you don't spend that money right. ( and the question is would we? )

With a 9-game ACC schedule, more frequently, we will get the occasional season with a normally-strong FSU or Louisville, but we will also get the not-so-normally-strong Syracuse or Wake Forest. To each their own, but I'd love to trade Vandy or UCF or the like for half the time getting a FSU and half the time getting a Wake Forest. We will still play a cupcake every year at home so you can see other players. If we play like we should, we are blowing out Syracuse like last time 56-0 and you are seeing other players play.

I haven't even brought up the ACCN. I know Teel did. I am not as crazy about whether the ACC has an ACCN or not. That is, it certainly isn't a huge priority to my fanhood. As long as I can get the games online as often as possible, works for me. Any additional revenue streams are welcome of course. You are correct in that they don't guarantee winning more in FB - or, any other sport. Certainly some of the hires in other sports are not strong and perhaps that makes sense because (unfortunately for folks like me who are in the 20% who care about most all sports at Tech) 80+% of Tech fans only care about FB and MBB.

With a 9-game ACC schedule, more frequently, we will get the occasional season with a normally-strong FSU or Louisville, but we will also get the not-so-normally-strong Syracuse or Wake Forest. To each their own, but I'd love to trade Vandy or UCF or the like for half the time getting a FSU and half the time getting a Wake Forest. We will still play a cupcake every year at home so you can see other players. If we play like we should, we are blowing out Syracuse like last time 56-0 and you are seeing other players play.

I haven't even brought up the ACCN. I know Teel did. I am not as crazy about whether the ACC has an ACCN or not. That is, it certainly isn't a huge priority to my fanhood. As long as I can get the games online as often as possible, works for me. Any additional revenue streams are welcome of course. You are correct in that they don't guarantee winning more in FB - or, any other sport. Certainly some of the hires in other sports are not strong and perhaps that makes sense because (unfortunately for folks like me who are in the 20% who care about most all sports at Tech) 80+% of Tech fans only care about FB and MBB.
Can we say anything bad about WF? Are they still not running the ACC ? I miss the big teddy bear coach , wish he wasn't going to Baylor. Guess we know the truth about him and why everyone was talking about the Big 12-2.

'Make the schedule work' as in with the newbies coming into the expanded ACC? If so, that makes sense. Regardless of what was the onus to do it, I think it ultimately will have helped balance out our schedule better.
and back to my original point it was a planned move by the ACC to have the home games balanced the way they are. I agree it is better with Clemson and uGA in alternate

Taking a look at our future schedules AND assuming a hypothetical move to a 9-game ACC schedule into account...

2017: I doubt the ACC would move to a 9-game schedule this late in the process. Particularly, because it would make all the schools scramble to cancel OOC games and pay up potentially large sums of money due to breaking contracts. Tech is scheduled to open against the Vols at the new Atlanta United FC Stadium and I can't see us breaking that if the ACC somehow did decide to move this in, which again I don't see happening. Might not happen at all of course, but play along. We have a home game against Jax State and a roadie at UCF.

2018: This is where Tech is essentially ready for a move to a 9-game ACC schedule as we only currently have 2 OOC games scheduled. At the Cesspool (which isn't going anywhere) and home vs Tulane. A 9th ACC game could be schedule at home to give us 5 home ACC games, home vs Tulane and then we will schedule a home cupcake for a total of 7 home games for the season ticket package.

2019: We are scheduled to host the Cesspool. This would be a season where the Coastal teams play 5 road ACC games and host 4. That's 5 home games for our schedule. We also host Notre Dame. That's 6. We travel to Tulane and that can either be broken and replaced with a cupcake at home for 7 home games or we just honor the road game at Tulane and go with 6 home games that season. With the Cesspool, Notre Dame, Va Tech, UNC, NC State and Pitt making up the 6 home game schedule, that's a pretty strong season ticket package.

2020: We only are scheduled at the moment to travel to the Cesspool and host UCF. We would get 5 home ACC games (potentially with an added Louisville or FSU now mixed in). And, we can add a cupcake at home to get to 7 home games.

2021: We are already scheduled to host the Cesspool and travel to Notre Dame. Those aren't changing. We are scheduled to host Kennesaw State, which we likely keep. And, we are scheduled to host South Florida, which we would break the contract (including the road game at USF in 2022) and replace with a 5th ACC road game. That would be 6 home games.

2022: We are scheduled to travel to the Cesspool and host Ole Miss. The USF road game would be canceled. We are scheduled to travel to FSU that season already, though I guess the ACC could shuffle the schedule completely if they move to a 9-game schedule as we are assuming hypothetically here. We would get 5 home ACC games. We'd add a cupcake at home to the Ole Miss home game to get to a 7-game season ticket package.

2023: We are scheduled to host the Cesspool and travel to Ole Miss. We would get 4 home ACC games (including currently scheduled Louisville if doesn't change) and would add a cupcake to ge to a 6-game season ticket package.

Of course, all of this could completely change and we could break/modify some of these future series currently scheduled. FWIW, the only OOC games in addition to the annual Cesspool game beyond '23 scheduled right now are home vs Notre Dame ('24) and a 2-game series with Colorado (at Boulder in '25 and on Grant Field in '26). Workable.

In summary, it would add a meaningful conference game, get us up against the Atlantic Division teams more frequently, and essentially avail us to a 7-game home season ticket package in the even-numbered years and a 6-game home season ticket package in the odd-numbered years most likely (though the odd-numbered year package is highlighted by the home game right after Turkey Day).

Last edited:
If the ACC wants to create more appealing game inventory, Games that will broaden the viewers, they will use this part of the schedule to play games with the other power 5 conferences.

If the ACC wants to create more appealing game inventory, Games that will broaden the viewers, they will use this part of the schedule to play games with the other power 5 conferences.

Let's take a closer look at what you just stated.

Clemson, for instance, already has South Carolina on its schedule annually. They have future home-and-away series against Auburn ('16 & '17), Texas A&M ('18 & '19), and Notre Dame ('20, '22, and '23) per FutureSchedules.com.

Similar schedules exist for Ga Tech and FSU. You think they are going to add another P5 conference game above and beyond what they already have? Highly unlikely. What is more likely if the ACC were to move to a 9-game schedule is that Clemson will dump games with Kent State ('17), Ga Southern ('18), Charlotte ('19) and Akron ('20) and replace with games against the likes of Va Tech, Pitt, Miami and UNC. Which, are far more appealing game inventory than what they are dumping.

But, that's an example for a team who has an in-state SEC opponent already on the schedule annually. What about the others?

UNC for instance...

2017: Cal, Notre Dame, Western Carolina, at Old Dominion...UNC isn't dropping Cal...they are contractually obligated to keep ND (and wouldn't dump them anyway if they could)...replace an additional ACC game and dump the visit to ODU...which is more appealing?

2018: at Cal, at ECU, Western Carolina, OPEN SLOT...very unlikely UNC is going to add a 3rd tough OOC game, but an additional ACC game would be more appealing than adding another cupcake

2019: South Carolina (at Charlotte), at Wake Forest (non-ACC game), 2 OPEN SLOTS...now that the Wake game can perhaps become an ACC game, this opens up the opportunity for the Cheaters to schedule another P5 type game in one of their 2 currently-open slots...as-is, they won't do that most likely

And the beat goes on...

With the Big Ten going to 9 conference games along with the Pac 12 and Big 12 already there, the opportunities for 3 P5-type games to be added in addition to what already exists is limited.

I don't expect the easy games to be dropped from the schedule, that's the difference in our opinions on this subject. I expect those without ooc rivalry games to have fewer ooc p5 games going forward. While you think they will drop the D1AA ooc games.

If a 9th conference game is added, you will have 7 home games to broadcast. If there are not p5 teams to schedule for the balance of the league, then go to the conference.

I don't expect the easy games to be dropped from the schedule, that's the difference in our opinions on this subject. I expect those without ooc rivalry games to have fewer ooc p5 games going forward. While you think they will drop the D1AA ooc games.

If a 9th conference game is added, you will have 7 home games to broadcast. If there are not p5 teams to schedule for the balance of the league, then go to the conference.

You are aware there is a requirement that each school schedule at least 1 OOC game against a P5/ND/BYU/Navy/Army opponent, yes? And, adding a 9th conference game won't change that because the ACC - like the other conferences except perhaps the Big 12 who just doesn't get it - will need to schedule that way moving forward.

Yes, we differ 180 degrees on this one indeed. I respect your opinion of course as always. We shall see. Truthfully, I don't see the 9-game conference schedule being voted in. Though, the votes of Clem-GT-FSU-UofL won't be enough alone to stop it.

I have yet to be convinced also that ESPN would be driving such a "need" for the sake of starting an ACC Channel/Network. While it may be true behind the scenes, and I do think Teel is credible and has good info most others do not, it's hard for me to believe that is a roadblock to a network getting going - that is, adding 7 more games to the ACC FB inventory.

As a fan, and same for desiring 20 MBB conference games, I'd love to see more ACC games. And yes, knowing that includes some stinkers too that few will care about (e.g., Duke vs Syracuse). It is interesting to me whether this is a part of an ACC Network desire as Teel teases about or not, the loudest fanbases screaming for the need for an ACC Network appear to be Clemson and FSU. I get why...in the heart of SEC Country and with much bigger fanbases than Miami or GT. Will those fanbases be willing to support a 9th ACC game for the sake of the ACC having its own network ala SEC Network or Big 10 Network? We'll see.

I suspect any change to add another conference game will also end up dropping the P5 OOC game requirements.

If this is to enhance the ACC network, then I think games that enlarge the viewership outside the ACC boundaries needs to be part of the conversation. ACC fans will watch the conference games, but you won't pick up outside tvs unless those games are top 25 teams. A game between NCSU and Texas Tech is going to gain outside viewers which should be part of any plans going forward.

I suspect any change to add another conference game will also end up dropping the P5 OOC game requirements.

I don't and don't know why it would.

If this is to enhance the ACC network, then I think games that enlarge the viewership outside the ACC boundaries needs to be part of the conversation. ACC fans will watch the conference games, but you won't pick up outside tvs unless those games are top 25 teams. A game between NCSU and Texas Tech is going to gain outside viewers which should be part of any plans going forward.

NC State can still schedule Texas Tech if they want to. They have openings on their schedule to do that if they wish. The ACC will NOT just go with 9 ACC games and then 3 cupcakes for those programs who do not have an in-state P5 rivalry already.

We may never get a chance to see which opinion is closer to right.

I just think there is too much pressure for ADs to produce winning coaches without taking every opportunity to get an additional easy win for their coaches. Even some of the ADs have bonus clauses for total wins in a season. IMO, when compensation is at stake, people change their decisions to make the compensation easier to get.

Even the Big 12 had to send a message to its programs that they needed to start scheduling stronger OOC. Even Baylor's hands were forced to at least schedule Duke...which of course is no longer a gimme.

The ACC isn't going to pull a Big 12 or Baylor and start avoiding solid games OOC. That just isn't going to happen. The ACC has to work hard as-is to earn every bit of good press it gets nationally from CFB media. Swoffy and the AD's themselves aren't about to go into some kind of hole and avoid scheduling 1 or 2 good OOC matchups every year just because they are adding a 9th ACC game...if it ever were to happen.

The Middle Tenn. St. loss at home a few years ago brought back many unpleasant memories of Tech football for me. My son still talks about how embarrassing it was and brought our program down. We enjoyed going up to Murfreesboro and kicking them, but truth be told we both said the series was a waste to us.

This doesn't excuse us playing poorly and letting that occur. I would rather have lost to the worst A C C team.

Even the Big 12 had to send a message to its programs that they needed to start scheduling stronger OOC. Even Baylor's hands were forced to at least schedule Duke...which of course is no longer a gimme.

The ACC isn't going to pull a Big 12 or Baylor and start avoiding solid games OOC. That just isn't going to happen. The ACC has to work hard as-is to earn every bit of good press it gets nationally from CFB media. Swoffy and the AD's themselves aren't about to go into some kind of hole and avoid scheduling 1 or 2 good OOC matchups every year just because they are adding a 9th ACC game...if it ever were to happen.
We cannot assume all the ADs are committed to winning national titles. That is the only reason the strength of schedule matters.

I don't think winning titles is the driver. The ACC mandated the scheduling OOC philosophy with agreement from the AD's. The AD's are already scheduling OOC FB games with P5/ND/BYU/Navy/Army programs. Adding a 9th conference game will not change that at all. Again, the 8 schools without in-state SEC rivals are NOT going to go to a model that includes 3 OOC cupcakes (with ND thrown in every third year or so + 2 cupcakes) if a 9th ACC game is added.

pretty much what we've both been saying.

you believe that the 9th game will drop the weaker game on the schedule.

I believe the weaker game will be kept so the 7th home game can be there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT