ADVERTISEMENT

Couch Coach vs Wake Forest

ibeeballin

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2012
Here are a few gifs i decided to breakdown to give an idea of what happened on field vs. Wake. These are used to give others a different perspective on how to watch football. I don’t do this to disparage players or coaches, but to give insight to GT enthusiast on what I’ve learned as a player and avid football fan.

A great win and great to see guys rise to the occasion. We had guys step up and play with a chip on their shoulders. Thought we did well in all phases, but there is a ton we can improve on

I thought this was an OK day for Haynes King. Like any QB, there are some throws you would like to have back, but i thought he missed a few key reads
giphy.gif

Basic RPO. Not sure if the rocking safety influenced his decision but this a light box and should be a give to Haynes. You have 5 defenders vs. 5 blockers. That should be auto run here

giphy.gif

The defense and DL, in particular ,came out with a different type of energy and fire that we haven’t seen this season. The biggest difference I’ve seen was the effort having violent hands. Kennard #9 here with a quick dip & rip and finishing getting the ball out of the QBs hand.
giphy.gif

Good effort here again. We have EAT stunt. (End first, tackle wrap around) on. #11 Harris drives the Tackle into the guard (bottom of the screen) which allows #8 Scott to wrapping around freely. Kennard (up top) properly attacks the outside half of the OT and gets to the QB. Unfortunately, he gets a face mask in the process

King accuracy has been sight to behold. Here are two great throws on this drive
giphy.gif

Got the Switch route vs. Cov 3. This ball is placed right on the ear hole of the covering LB. If the ball is a few inches to the inside this is probably an INT CB

giphy.gif

Great corner route by Singleton. He wins at LOS and stacks the DB leaving him in chase mode. Nice throw dropping it in a bucket here by King

giphy.gif

A few throws King probably wants back. We definitely got the look we wanted on this play. As @donnie5336 perfectly stated, this throw needs to be closer to the numbers with air than down the middle. Throwing it to the numbers allow Singleton to run under the ball but also takes away the angle from the trailing CB to make a play

giphy.gif

Here he appears set on hitting the out to slot but with the safety shading to the outside, the TE in the middle is wide open. Thought he might’ve seen that while going thru his fake

giphy.gif

Great job by Haynes recognizing the bust in the coverage for the TD. WF’s CB thought it was Cov 2 with a safety over the top the safety thought is Cov 3

LB play was a mix bag
giphy.gif

When you do you assignment, good things tend to happen. Here we have #44 Efford coming the Right edge. He does a good job engaging the blocker, getting his butt parallel with the sideline to keep contain, extending his arm and getting off the block to make the 4th down stop. Textbook work here.

giphy.gif

This is what happens when you don’t get you butt outside and lose contain like #13 Moala did here

This is multiple weeks in row it appears Tatum has no idea of how to attack when run is coming to him. A refresher for those who are new, as a LBer, if you see the C-G-T helmet stay low and they all step To my side with the RB taking the handoff coming toward my side, i am pressing the LOS and my assigned gap thinking this is 90% of the time run.
giphy.gif

Here on the CB blitz, Tatum, with all the flow coming to his side, inexplicably steps to the inside and not there to minimize the damage from the missed tackle by the CB. We must get better at this base level type stuff here

giphy.gif

Glad to see #3 Andre White on the field. If he’s healthy, he needs to be starting. There appears to be no hesitation with him. Just see it, trust your instincts and go. Here on the blitz, White is in man coverage with the back, he sees the RB stays in to block. He instantly blitzes thru the RB (that’s called Green Doggin the back) and get the strip sack. Outstanding LB play

giphy.gif

He does the exact same here

giphy.gif

WF gameplan was to stop the zone run by slanting very hard away from where the RB lineup. I thought CBF didn’t adapt quick enough to WF over pursuing the run until late. To counter this, i thought we would see numerous bootlegs of the zone or this run type of here that we did often with Gibbs under patenaude . If you want to slant hard, will just push you where you want to go and run in the backside gap that you have vacated. Good job by #75 Leftwich making the key block to spring Haynes. Also good job scoring. I much rather be up 2 scores with WF having 1:45 left and 1 TO. No way i trust snapping the ball 4 times not kicking a FG there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News