ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Coaching Search Update 11/25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Georgia Tech AD J Batt has been a busy man the last two weeks. Much of his work has been doing research and interviews both with candidates for the job and with people around those candidates to get a wider view of things. Jamey Chadwell and Brent Key are still my 1a, 1b on my board. Like any good CEO Batt is trying to do his homework and so you will hear other names. Last week it was Willie Fritz and this week it is Bill O'Brien. My sources say there is no fire with the smoke on either. Hell, there was someone, and has been someone pushing Kevin Sumlin since last April and certain people pushing Dell McGee's name Tony Elliott style like last time there was a GT search.

For those not familiar with this, The Rumble Seat boys wrote a story saying that Tony Elliott was a candidate and I can't remember if they said he interviewed or didn't for the job, but I debunked it pretty hard and then to make it worse Elliott confirmed what I said that Todd Stansbury had never spoken to him. That is Dell McGee this year.

Batt also did something very smart this week and he spoke to multiple current SAs about their experience at GT, Key's interim work, what it was like before that and where they'd like to see improvements overall for the SA life on campus.

Batt also per our Alabama sources spoke to Nick Saban this week about 1b.

The Bill O'Brien stuff is mainly Bama fans disguised as media pushing a narrative because they want BOB fired as their OC. I believe Nick Saban is going to make that change. O'Brien has tried to get jobs better than Georgia Tech nationally and has missed on them including LSU last year.

Looking at other options, I'm watching the Tulane game and they are pitching Wilie Fritz for the GT job saying you have to give him time to rebuild wherever he goes, Fritz is about to be 62. That isn't exactly going to fill the stands and donation buckets for GT.

Lastly, Batt has spoken with 1a and 1b about the job.

One other thing I am watching is the Lane Kiffin fight going on at Ole Miss and Auburn as they battle over him like a chew toy in a dog's mouth. Kiffin's team hit the skids late in the season as expected, but probably worse than I expected. If Kiffin goes to Auburn that opens Ole Miss and that will be an interesting job for someone like Chadwell and you could say the same thing with Auburn as well as I am having a hard time seeing where they turn. I've been told there is no chance they keep Cadillac Williams.

If it is Key the decision will be announced next week. If it is Chadwell it could drag into the first week of December as I've said because of their Sun Belt Championship game on December 3rd against either South Alabama or Troy. If somehow it was someone else I have no idea when that would go down.

I have not heard any steam for anyone other than 1a and 1b.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News