ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Coaching Rumors and more 12/4

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
So I thought I would get this up for the morning crowd and the later nighters as well.

My sources are still saying that GT is in negotiations with Ken Whisenhunt to become the Jackets next head coach. If his Stansbury's guy they will get a deal done if Stansbury wants him bad enough. He has some leeway financially to make it happen according to my sources and no one is going to block a hire unless there is a background check issue. So if Stansbury wants the Whiz, he is getting the Whiz.

As far as plan B goes, Geoff Collins has been very aggressive trying to market himself as I said in the last update. Gus is trying to get out of Auburn and his staff is starting to bail thinking they are on the titanic. Not sure what the interest would be from GT on Gus. If Whisenhunt says no, I think GT goes into a full out search mode and that would be interesting, there are a lot of names interested in the job including sitting coaches elsewhere.

On the staff front, CAM is going after the vacant Austin Peay job. Will Healy took the Charlotte job leaving CAM's alma mater open.

CNW has three FBS offers as a DC including the University of Kansas right now and a conditional offer to return to GT as well. He has one year left on his deal and they love Atlanta so timing could be critical to keeping him if that is what Stansbury wants to do. He should also be interviewing for the head job at App State like I explained a few updates ago, but Dwayne Ledford at NC State is the front runner for that gig.

Everyone on the staff would like to stay, right now it doesn't look good for the offensive staff, but at least CAM, CNW and CSW and maybe CJR or CJS have a shot at staying around. Just all depends on the hire at HC.

On Neal Brown, I've been told he has a big buyout and that is a bit of an issue and why he has not gotten more traction as a candidate for jobs. Brown's buyout is reportedly around $3 million alone.

Stansbury is supposed to be in NYC through at least most of the day Thursday.

GT will have a recruiting weekend this weekend. IF the Jackets do not have a head coach in place before their official visit, those recruits can take a second official visit to Georgia Tech later on per a new NCAA rule this year.

Several current players are watching this process closely as well, so far only one guy I know has told me he is outright transferring either way. He asked me to keep it quiet for now so I'll respect his wishes. Lot of hurt feelings from the players over PJ's retirement, most of the current players thought he would be here for their whole careers. So there will be some re-recruiting going on with the new coach to settle some of those guys down as well. Lots of upset parents blowing my phone up and I can't get involved other than to say what Stansbury has said his timeline is and they should talk to the coaching staff. The current coaches are doing a good job of settling some nerves while they are all having to face possible unemployment. It has been impressive to see how well they've handled things.

Getting a hire in the next two weeks is critical. I can't imagine this dragging out for more than a few days unless Stansbury has to start at square one again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News