ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Collins updates the state of GT football 11/17

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Georgia Tech football coach Geoff Collins spoke with the media on Tuesday after the postponement of the Jackets' game at Miami. Collins said a combination of injuries, contact tracing within the program, contact tracing externally and a couple of positive COVID tests in a specific position group left them unable to play against Pitt last week. When the Jackets take the field against Duke it will have been 28 days since the team was on the field in a game situation. In a way, Collins said they are now treating this as a second preseason.

"Obviously, we were hoping to be doing this as we got ready to play Miami on Saturday, they contacted us yesterday to let us know that they wouldn't be able to play due to everything that's going on within their program. So first and foremost, you know, want to send our best wishes to (Miami) players and to their staff for a speedy return, we think the world of their program and of their players and how they're playing right now and wish them nothing but the best," Collins said. "But it's unfortunate, we were ready to play. We actually had a practice this morning more of an OTAs style practice this morning. I've felt good about where we are, as a program feel good about the protocols and the mitigation strategies that all of our medical professionals have put in place for us," Collins said.

"Last week, just going back a week, it was a combination of a lot of things injuries, at a certain position, contact tracing, and cases of contact tracing from outside of the program that affected us. And then a small case, a small group of positives at a certain position that, you know, we're putting into question later in the week if we'd be able to play versus pit. So that's where we're at," he said.

"Today was was very competitive. I was really proud of them. And the lesson that that we were trying to, you know, impart on them every single play, you've got to play and not worry about the scoreboard just worry about the process execution, having the proper energy. I thought they did that today. They were flying around. They were having fun, you know, under all the circumstances. So you never know. I mean, this is unprecedented times that we're going through, there's no book to go back and say how do you handle coming off a bye week? And coming off with two games getting canceled? What is that practice schedule supposed to look like? But I thought the guys handled it well. And I got some really good work and some competitive work out there today."

On adjusting to playing Pitt during finals now

"We're taking it one day at a time when we could have time just got to stay fluid, stay nimble, and just be able to adjust the things that we do on a given week. So right now I'm worried about how we're handling this week. We're gonna have some OTA-style practices, get some good lifts, stretches and runs, and we will have some competitive situations. I know none of our players watch this, so I can feel free to tell you guys, there might be some kickball tournament thrown in there, might be some dodgeball tournament thrown in there, might be some homerun Derby stone in this week, just to get the competitive juices playing that with the guys have a little bit of fun along with playing football and getting ready. But they I mean, these are unprecedented times. I think that the biggest piece too is next week. It's Thanksgiving then we follow it up and it'll be an exam heavy schedule on the last couple of weeks. We just got to be able to adjust and and adjust the schedule accordingly."

On the approach to sending kids home for Thanksgiving and being safe during that scenario

"Absolutely, it is the same thing that I hopped on a zoom call. Last week, I think it was last Thursday, I had a zoom call with all of our families. You know, and I expressed those concerns with the families. And then as we go throughout the week, next week, there'll be some things every every Thanksgiving, Kelly, my wife, and I throw a huge Thanksgiving party, for the players and the coaches, families and the staff, that tradition is not going to be able to happen this year. So we're going to modify it kind of how we do our Friday night meals, where we by position with the Plexies between us and rolling times to come in. The Thanksgiving piece is a huge deal for my wife and I. and it's sad that we're not going to be able to fully execute all the things that are special in this culture. A lot of the things that we do at all this year, but just proud of the way our guys have handled it. And just trust the wear you masks whenever you can have something that is outside, do it outside, those kind of things. But we'll we'll make adjustments to the schedule, educate our players and educate our families as well who are all in because they realize how much we love and care for their sons as well."

On the modified practices right now

"we just had them in spiders (soft shoulder pad type things) and helmets, all of our helmets, in practice, have the splash guards on them to mitigate any kind of spread if needed, and went out there and got some really good work in a lot of loose plays, to screens, outside runs, drop back passes, not a lot of play action, just to keep everything loose and nimble and guy spread out and you know, to run around and compete and they went out there and had fun. We did a lot of special teams, because those are looser type plays as well. And I thought the guys handled it, handled it well. And, you know, basically to is, you know, kind of remembering what they love about the game. Why they started playing. When they came back in the locker room.

Last week, we requested from their parents pictures from their little league, Pop Warner days, t-ball days. We have given them to them last Friday and then today, they walked into the locker room. And we have that we have 20 TVs in the locker room. And we had collages of all their little league pictures. And they came in there with masks on socially distant, but they were good to see each other and see themselves as little guys just playing the game because they love the game.

On why they went with spiders

"That's, one of the reasons and we've never had to do this before it's basically you know, we're having a another training camp within the season. So we're just trying to manage it. You know, the best way we can to get some really good speed work. Stay in Good, good condition, and stay sharp and crisp and get the guys moving around at a high level."

Reactions: BuzzThePlumber
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News