ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck and Chernoff

Jacket Up

Gold Member
May 14, 2009
I switched these guys on this afternoon just as Chuck was talking about Paul Johnson, saying they (Tech) expect to use the latter part of the season`s winning streak as a way to maintain the high ranking and lift the team`s level of respect and capability. Matt said there`s little doubt that they surprised everybody, but their chances of maintaining the high ranking aren`t likely. They certainly pulled themselves up, but my guess is they are an eight game winning program, with an occasional ten win year.

Then Chuck said when Dave Braine said in all sincerity that "Tech will always be a mediocre seven - eight game winner and for them to think otherwise is crazy", I (Chuck) thought he was a fool to say that for public consumption, but I think he was dead right - and I still think he`s right. Chernoff said, "Well they might be good for about 8-9 wins and if they get anywhere close to this past season`s record, I might change my mind." And they carried on about Notre Dame (as if it was 1946) and FSU. Chuck said, "They came close to FSU, but there`s just no way they could have beat them."

Then they abruptly (somebody must have told them not to say anymore about their flagship customer`s weakness) started a long dissertation about the Atlanta Hawks. And they just went crazy about the Hawks had no super stars, which has always been the way teams won titles. They were just giving all those star-laden NBA teams fits, and with nothing but good solid TEAMWORK and great defense.

And I wondered if they even gave Tech a thought as being able to win with just good student-athletes and no super stars. I have always thought Chuck Oliver was pretty knowledgeable about football, college especially. But he doesn`t seem to have the sense to come in out of the rain when he can`t see right under his nose the finest example of six+five = TWELVE.

And it dawned on me that all we do is worry about TALENT, which obviously is necessary to some degree, but with some great coaching and team cohesiveness PLUS an offense which has not been stopped yet, why aren`t WE the best example of sports success in Atlanta? Why can`t WE sell out seats to our games?

This latest recruit haul is absolutely the best I can remember. And it`s going to fit right in with a foundation forged a year ago. I have definitely concluded that we (make that CPJ) has found the combination required for winning football without five star players. And maybe before long, some of those four and five star kids will think about playing for us, and if they`re the right kind of kids, we might make `em an offer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News