ADVERTISEMENT

CFB: Week 2 in the ACC (and a few others of note)

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Fri. 8:00 (ESPN-2) Louisville [1-0] at Syracuse [1-0]
The Cardinals lead the all-time series over the Orange, 8-6, having won 5 of the last 6 going back to '09. This "should" be a UofL win, but the Cuse can be tough inside their home dome.

12:00 (ESPN) Penn State [1-0] at Pittsburgh [1-0]
It's so good to see these in-state rivals back playing one another. One of the (many) negatives to conference expansion/realignment that has accelerated over the past 20 years has been losing this annual classic on the schedule (along with the Backyard Brawl - Pitt vs WVU). These 2 have met 96 times with the Nittany Lions leading the series, 50-42-4. PSU was on a 7-game winning streak to take the lead in the series only to see Pitt win the last meeting, 12-0, in 2000. It's been 16 years since they've face one another and sooooo much has gone on since then. Pitt joined the ACC and Joe Paterno was shamed for the scumbag he is...along with others at State College. My son and I will be in Bristol tailhooking and I hope to find someone with this game on nearby to check it out.

12:00 (ESPN-U) NC State [1-0] at East Carolina [1-0]
Talk about a "Backyard Brawl", this is one of the best rivalries a lot of people either don't know about or don't fully appreciate. The Pack leads the series, 16-12. The Pirates have won the last 2 in '10 and '13.

12:00 (ACC Network Extra) Boston College [0-1] at UMass [0-1]
BC returns from a disappointing late loss in Ireland, while UMass can and should hold their heads high as they hung tough at The Swamp in Week 1. This will have a good crowd as the state of Massachusetts pays attention, though the rest of the nation probably won't. These 2 have met 25 times with BC leading 20-5 and on an 8-game winning streak going back to 1979. BC won the last meeting 2 years ago 30-7. This will be the first series game at Amherst since 1982.

12:30 (ACC Network) Troy [1-0] at Clemson [1-0]
Troy defeated Austin Peay, 57-17, while Clemson won at Auburn. Home opener for the Tigers and should be a cake walk if they don't overlook their second opponent from the state of Alabama.

12:30 (RSN) Charleston Southern [1-1] at Florida State [0-0]
FSU plays Ole Miss tonight. Charleston Southern is one of the very few teams who has played 2 games on the season as they traveled to D1AA powerhouse, North Dakota State, and lost by a respectable 24-17 score the week before CFB ramped up this past weekend. This past Saturday they defeated Kentucky State, 57-7. Should be a Noles romp in their home opener at Doak Campbell.

3:00 (ACC Network Extra) Mercer [0-1] at Georgia Tech [1-0]
This game has already been previewed in its own thread. Tech opens a 4-game home stand.

3:30 (ESPN-U) Wake Forest [1-0] at Duke [1-0]
Duke leads this series 57-37-2. During the decade of the 2000's, Wake went a perfect 10-0 over Duke. So far, this current decade, the Blue Devils are up 4-2. Cutcliffe turning things around in Durham. In fact, Duke has won 4 straight to break what was a 12-game winning streak for the Deacs.

6:00 (ACC Network Extra) Florida Atlantic [1-0] at Miami [1-0]
Not much to say about this scrimmage.

7:30 (Big 10 Network) Cheaters [0-1] at Illinois [1-0]
While the Cheaters were losing a tough game against a tough opponent in the Ga Dome which was at least 70% against them, the Illini were spanking Murray State to the tune of 52-3. I figure the score will be a lot different than that as the Cheaters take on its 2nd straight P5 opponent away from home to start the season.

8:00 (ABC) Tennessee [1-0] vs Virginia Tech [1-0] at Bristol Motor Speedway
My son and I will be one of the 150 thousand to set an attendance record in front of a national TV audience. Really looking forward to this. If the Vols offense plays like it did against Appy State, the Hokies have a great shot at notching a big win for the ACC. These 2 programs, though relatively close in proximity, have only met 8 times previously with the Vols holding a 5-3 edge.

10:30 (ESPN) Virginia [0-1] at Oregon [1-0]
My my my. Virginia loses by 17 at home to D1AA Richmond and now has to travel cross-country to Autzen Stadium to face an Oregon bunch to finish off the 2-game series contract from the home demolishing the Ducks put on Virginia a couple of years ago. This could and probably will get really ugly fast.

and a few others of note...

12:00 (CBS Sports Network) Rice [0-1] at Army [1-0]
Just thought I'd give a shout out to Jeff Monken and the Black Knights who pulled off a surprise at Temple to open the season. That same Temple team who was everybody's darling a season ago, btw. The Black Knights return to the Banks of the Hudson to hopefully get to 2-0. Great to see things potentially turning around for them up there.

7:00 (ESPN) Arkansas [1-0] at TCU [1-0]
The Hogs avoided embarrassment that others in the SEC experienced on opening weekend by shaving La Tech by 1 pt at home, 21-20. They now travel to TCU, who blew out South Dakota State, but gave up a bunch of points to the D1AA program, 59-41. Then again, they *ARE* in the Big 12 and think there is some kind of rule in that conference that you must play as little defense as possible and give up 35+ every game. Hogs vs Frogs.

7:00 (ESPN-2) South Carolina [1-0] at Mississippi State [0-1]
On a relatively quiet day, this actually makes prime time TV. The Cocks are coming off a conference win over Vandy and the Bulldogs were embarrassed at home by South Alabama this past weekend.

Last edited:
Reports out this morning that over 30 Charleston Southern players will be suspended for their game at Florida State tomorrow. OUCH!

tumblr_mfqy0n4OMa1qed3doo2_500.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT