ADVERTISEMENT

CFB: Week 1 in the ACC (and a few others of note)

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Like last year, I'll try to provide the ACC schedule with a few nuggets tossed in every Monday to kick the ACC FB Week off...(all times eastern of course)...will try to post TV announcer designations later in the week via reply when I get 'em...

Thu. 7:00 (RSN/ACC Network Extra) Charlotte at Louisville...the Cardinals are huge favorites (near 40 pts) over the D1A infants. This seems more like an old Metro Conference Hoops game from the 90's. And, the final score by the Cards may look like a hoops game too. This is the first matchup between these two programs ever.

Thu. 7:00 (ACC Network Extra) Tulane at Wake Forest...the Green Wave have never lost to the Deacs. That's right. They are 2-0 over Wake. A win back in the 50's (6-0) and another in 1995 (35-9). That '95 win by the Greenies was one of only 2 that season. Ouch. The Deacs are favored by 17 over Ga Southern's former HC and new HC, Willie Fritz, who I think is an outstanding head coach and is a GREAT hire in NOLA.

Thu. 7:30 (ACC Network Extra) William & Mary at NC State...watch out, Pack! I think Dave Doeren's Wolfies could be a nice surprise in the ACC in his 4th year at Raleigh. But, Bill & His Old Lady are always a dangerous D1AA team - especially in Game 1. I have a special rooting interest in this game for the Tribe as R-Fr. Offensive Lineman is a good friend of the family in the neighborhood.

Fri. 7:00 (ACC Network Extra) Colgate at Syracuse...BION, I actually saw Colgate in person a season ago when they upset James Madison in the 2nd round of the D1AA NCAA Playoffs. Watch out, Cuse! This is a series actually with some history. They've met 66 times and you may be surprised (I was!) to learn that Colgate holds a 31-30-5 lead. Of course, all 31 of those wins were in 1950 or prior. The last meeting was in 2010 when the Orange won 42-7.

Sat. 7:30am (ESPN-2) Georgia Tech vs Boston College (at Dublin, Ireland)...the first conference game of the season and the only one on opening weekend. I've already previewed this game on this board so will not say much else about it other than Tech will be a 3.5 or so favorite.

Sat. 12:30 (ACC Network) Liberty at Virginia Tech...when we say "ACC Network" thru 2018, we are still talking about the network of local affiliates like the past. The Justin Fuente Era begins as 25+ years of Beamer Ball is in the rear view mirror. The Hokies will look to destroy the in-state D1AA upstarts in Fuente's debut (along with a new QB) as they get ready for the Battle at Bristol against the Vols the following week.

Sat. 1:30 (ACC Network Extra) Villanova at Pittsburgh...another CAA team from D1AA travels to an ACC team as the Wildcats cross the state of Pennsylvania to take on a Panthers team who heads into '16 with a lot of promise and potential...especially with the long-waited return of '14 ACC POTY, James Conner. These 2 teams have met twice previously with Pitt winning both - once in 1911 and the last in 1998 the Panthers won only by a TD in shootout, 48-41.

Sat. 3:30 (ACC Network Extra) Richmond at Virginia...and another CAA team travels to an ACC team. Watch out, Bronco Mendenhall! The Spiders have a way of driving Wahoo fans nuts. And, I fully expect this will happen again. UofR winning this game would NOT be a shocker.

Sat. 5:30 (ESPN) Cheaters vs Cesspool (at Ga Dome)...rooting like hell for the meteor here. Two of the most disgusting, fraudulent athletic programs in the history of collegiate athletics. These two have played one another 30 times. The Cesspool has a 16-12-2 advantage. Well, assuming the Cesspool conveniently counted all the games. Perhaps I should check the Cheaters' records. They haven't faced one another though since the 1971 Gator MEG, which saw Head Scumbag, Vince Dooley, win 7-3.

Sat. 6:00 (ACC Network Extra) Florida A&M at Miami...the Fighting Spray Tan Boys kick off the Spray Tan Boy Era. That's about as much as I care to say about this "game". Remember...D1A CFB...where every game matters...or, every week counts...or, whatever other stupid moniker they used to apply in attempt to avoid a playoff system.

Sat. 6:00 (ACC Network Extra) North Carolina Central at Duke...if you watch this game, you really should be kicked in the groin.

Sat. 9:00 (ESPN) Auburn Without A Lake at Clemson With A Lake...you figure it out. Should be a fun game. The question is...if these teams switched uniforms and fanbases, would anybody notice? I think AWAL cheats better these days than CWAL. CWAL leads the all-time series, 34-13-2, though AWAL has won the last 2.

Mon. 8:00 (ESPN) Florida State vs Ole Miss (at Orlando)...I wonder if Ole Miss will avoid significant NCAA probation like the Cheaters and Bubba Bowden did all those years? Probably so. These 2 teams have only met once before. Ole Miss shutout the Florida Teachers College and Circus School, 33-0, back in 1961.

A few others of note...

Sat. 12:00 (ABC) Oklahoma at Houston (at Texans Stadium)...this could and probably will be a really good game. Houston wants to be in the Big 12. That story-line likely is a big one as this week continues.

Sat. 3:30 (ABC) LSU at Wisconsin (at Lambeau Field, Green Bay)...this continues a great opening day on ABC. LSU is top 5 to start the season and has a Heisman candidate toting the ball.
Sat. 3:30 (CBS) UCLA at Texas A&M...this likely will be a good game to watch with lots of offense.

Sat. 8:00 (ABC) Southern Cal vs Alabama (at Cowpunks Stadium, Arlington)...Nick Satan plays a fellow slimy program.

Sun. 7:30 (ABC) Notre Dame at Texas...who knows? One day (I hope the hell not) this could be the 15th and 16th members of the ACC who don't play ACC FB. I can deal with ND and this special arrangement. I'd prefer we not ever have the ego of the Horns in the ACC. Having said that, GO IRISH! in Sunday's only game of note.

Remind me not to take those 4 tickets off my new wiper blades on the old car to attend the Duke game. I put the two I had up there, and boom....noticed 2 extras appeared. I don't need any kicks to the groin.

Can I go to the GSU-Ball St. game, and return back with my testies or is this included in your "kick-off"?

Remind me not to take those 4 tickets off my new wiper blades on the old car to attend the Duke game. I put the two I had up there, and boom....noticed 2 extras appeared. I don't need any kicks to the groin.

Can I go to the GSU-Ball St. game, and return back with my testies or is this included in your "kick-off"?

Of course you and the other 47 who have shown interest should attend that game. Just to prove the game actually took place, btw. :D

Gee, I told the boy we could be the dirty dozen. You mean we are approaching 50?
Hopefully, no one jumps off the bandwagon of a 6-7 team.

What did Curry and O'Leary win in their last year of coaching 0 or 1 game combined?

who's talking about Texas in the ACC?

that's not possible. It's like a team east of the Mississippi joining that dysfunctional XII conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT