ADVERTISEMENT

CFB Pick'em Contest: Week 4 of 14

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Quick Week 3 Recap: no losing records this week...everyone went 5-5 or better with 6 guys going 6-4, one 5-5, and RyanS12 turning in the best with a 7-3 week...well done, mate. Pick of the week goes to SPRITE6 who was the winning lone wolf (or should I say bird) on the Cardinals pulling the home upset over the Noles.

Standings after Week 3:

BornAJacket 18-11
GTJT622 18-11
RyanS12 17-12
SPRITE6 17-12
Texwood 16-13
stech81 14-15
BFLJr 13-16
Buzzforlife 12-17

Week 4 games and spreads below. As always, please submit your selections via reply by 4pm Thursday. Thanks.

Game 1: Thu 7:30 (ESPN) Clemson -9.5 at Ga Tech

Game 2: 12:00 (ABC) Florida State
-6.0 at South Florida

Game 3: 12:00 (ESPN) Georgia at Ole Miss

Game 4: 12:30 (ACC Network) East Carolina at Virginia Tech

Game 5: 12:30 (RSN) Central Michigan
-3.5 at Virginia

Game 6: 3:30 (ESPN-U) Pittsburgh at North Carolina

Game 7: 3:30 (NBC) Duke at Notre Dame

Game 8: 3:30 (CBS) Florida at Tennessee

Game 9: 3:30 (Big Ten Network) Wake Forest at Indiana

Game 10: 8:00 (ABC) Stanford
-3.0 at UCLA

Well I not doing very good hence why I stop betting on football.
I'm going to take a chance and make some picks that i would not. I guess I will go for it on 4th down to catch up.
So with that here are my picks
1) Clemson -9.5
2)FSU -6
3) uga + 7 ( no I hate uga )
4)East Caroline +11
5)UV -3.5
6)Pitt +7
7)ND -21 ( would feel better if it was 20 )
8) Tenn -6.5 ( I think Tenn is way over rated ( sorry GTJT) but have not seen much from UF )
9)WF +7.5
10) Stanford -3

Mine...

Ga Tech (Tigers win, but Tech keeps it close)
South Florida (last team with the ball wins...I'll take the pts)
Cesspool (hope I'm wrong)
Va Tech (if Hokies hang onto the ball, they are very good)
Central Michigan (just don't think UVA will score enough to keep up)
Pitt (Cheaters may win, but Pitt should score enough to keep close and maybe win)
Notre Dame (Duke is terrible...Irish are angry)
Florida (hopefully Vols win, but covering near a TD seems like a lot...hope I'm wrong again)
Indiana (Hoosiers have had an extra week to prep...flip of the coin TBH)
UCLA (UCLA plays good D...should be a great game)

Louisville really shocked me with that performance. Surely some DC will figure out how to affect them eventually. Hopefully it won't be Houston.

1)Ga. Tech(wish the number would stay at over 10)
2)F$U
3)Ole Missy
4)ECU
5)CMU
6)UNCheaters(Buddha, forgive me)
7)ND
8)Fla.
9)Ind.
10)Stanford(one cardinal, singular...take that Petrino!)

GT - I'm taking the Jackets to win outright at +300 or better. If the offense is back we have a legit shot at going 4-0. Go Jackets!!
FSU - Gotta take the uber-talented FSU squad in the wake of one of the most humiliating losses in that program's history. I think USF is in a bad spot here.
Mississippi - Coin flip on this one, so I'm going against the nad-lickers and hoping they come home from Oxford with a bad loss (or at least an 8 point loss).
VT - I echo GTJT's comment here, when they don't turn it over in Hewitt-esque fashion the turkey buzzards are good. Speaking of Paul Hewitt, he took a gig as a scout for the Clippers.
UVA - I'm capitulating after picking against them the last two weeks and getting burned both times. This is a bad team that finds a way to cover the spread.
Pitt - I don't know what to make of the cheaters this year, but this game seems closer to a pick'em than a touchdown spread. Pitt +240 looks interesting here.
Notre Dame - I saw a bit of the Duke offense for the first time this season against Northwestern, and they are truly awful. Just what the doctor ordered for Brian VanGorder who is feeling the heat from Brian Kelly and the Notre Dame fan base.
Florida - Six and half is a big number with that defense.
Indiana - With Kendall Hinton out, Wake is going to struggle to keep up with a decent Hoosier offense.
Stanford - This is the most intriguing game in this week's Pick'em lineup, and one that I'm looking forward to watching. Coin flip at -3, but I'll lean towards the team that has Christian McCaffrey on the roster.

BFL, Jr.
------------------

G.T.
F.S.U.
Miss.
E.C.U.
Cent. Mich.
U.N.C.
N.Dome
Tenn.(Wins by 7).
W.F.
Stanford(Takes the Bruins by 10)

GT
F$U
Pississippi
Easy Chic U
CMU
UNCheat
NoD
Tenn
Jimmy Chitwood (Hoosiers)
Tiger Woods U (Stanford)

Both foursomes are now in the clubhouse.

For the 2nd time this season, we have a unanimous pick and coincidentally it again involves a Duke game. Last time in Week 2, we were all on Duke laying pts at home against Wake (though Texwood intelligently wagered for real at his book on the Deacs to win outright) and of course that was a loser. This time, we are all on the Irish at home laying 21 to the Devils and that means Duke will probably play 622 miles over their heads combined with the Irish turning the ball over 622 times or something crazy like that.

stech81 is the only one taking Clemson over our beloved Jackets. I know he hopes he's wrong on that one. I'm the only one taking the Bulls of Tampa-St. Pete to further expose the North Floridian Native Americans. I know I hope I'm right on that one. stech81 and I are the only two taking the Cesspoolians and we both hope we are wrong on that one.

Thanks all for getting the picks in.

(Go Jackets! Go Vols...well, for me at least! Go Rebs!)

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Both foursomes are now in the clubhouse.

For the 2nd time this season, we have a unanimous pick and coincidentally it again involves a Duke game. Last time in Week 2, we were all on Duke laying pts at home against Wake (though Texwood intelligently wagered for real at his book on the Deacs to win outright) and of course that was a loser. This time, we are all on the Irish at home laying 21 to the Devils and that means Duke will probably play 622 miles over their heads combined with the Irish turning the ball over 622 times or something crazy like that.

stech81 is the only one taking Clemson over our beloved Jackets. I know he hopes he's wrong on that one. I'm the only one taking the Bulls of Tampa-St. Pete to further expose the North Floridian Native Americans. I know I hope I'm right on that one. stech81 and I are the only two taking the Cesspoolians and we both hope we are wrong on that one.

Thanks all for getting the picks in.

(Go Jackets! Go Vols...well, for me at least! Go Rebs!)
Yes I hope I'm wrong on GT and uga but I'm near the bottom so it was time to pick some that others would not

Thanks for mentioning the "bottom".
Thought about taking my first impulse and then reversing it. However after second thought, it seemed my first impulse felt more humane for the Magnificent 7(you guys need a patsy).

This weekly proclamation is brought to you by the Waffle House....where we waffle prior to any official proclamation which could occur later at a press conference with 622 hats. Hopefully at that time, we can find the one for "egg on the face", probably next to Berts Chilli.

FWIW, some other games I have an eye on this weekend for one reason or another...

Fri, 8pmET, ESPN: TCU at SMU...the O/U is 64...just smells like TCU could score that much on their own...going OVER (as I do with most B12 games)

Fri, 9pm, FS1: Southern Cal at Utah...3-0 Utes are only laying 3 pts which means the linesmaker must think this would be a Pick'Em on a neutral field...USC has played 2 road games - vs Bama and at Stanford - and lost by 46 and 17...Utah plays good D...USC starting a new QB...laying the 3

Sat, 12pm, SEC Network: Kent State at Alabama...Kent St is getting 44...very tempting to take the pts...will Bama sleep walk through this 11am local time kickoff?...some of Bama's Scout Teamers (which are still likely very good) should be in during 2nd half and that may make it a closer game or at least a chance at a backdoor cover for KSU

Sat, 12pm, Big 10 Network: Wisconsin at Michigan State...#11 at #8...Sparty is laying 5.5...not wagering on this one, but definitely a huge game in the playoff and Big 10 scene

Sat, 3:30pm, ESPN-3: Appalachian State at Akron...Appy State is laying 6 on the road against an Akron team who just scored 65 at Marshall...is Appy State getting too much credit for taking Tennessee (who plays to the level of its competition under Butch Jones far too often) to overtime at Neyland?...Mountaineers were dominated at home by the Fighting Spray Tanners last weekend at home...if I play this one, I'll take the pts with the home team...if not, I'm still interested to see how this one turns out

Sat, 3:30, ESPN-2: BYU at West Virginia...the Cougs and their band of 34 year old players have won by 2 (over Arizona), lost by 1 (to Utah) and lost by 3 (to UCLA)...all low scoring games with the most scored by a team was 20 pts by Utah...the O/U is 51...WVU only scored 26 against Mizzou in their opening week win...might play the under here...and perhaps BYU getting 7

Sat, 3:30, ESPN-3: Mississippi State at UMASS...these SEC teams when they go outside their natural geography often play mediocre football...Bulldogs are 21 pt road favorites though they lost to South Alabama at home scoring only 20 pts...defeated South Carolina by 13 while only scoring 27...and put up 20 at LSU...UMass is offensively-challenged themselves, but this begs to take the home dog getting 3 TD's against a 1-2 team which is unimpressive IMO...way too much respect being given to a mediocre SEC team (and the SEC has a bunch of them this year)

Sat, 6:00, ESPN: LSU at Auburn...the Tigers of the Bengal variety are laying 3.5 at (speaking of) mediocre Tigers of the Clemson Without a Lake variety...the coffin is open for Gus Malzahn and Grass Eater and Leonard Fournette likely will start putting some nails in it - if it hasn't already started - as mediocre Auburn goes to 1-3 on the season

Sat, 7:00, ESPN-U: Houston at Texas State...UH can't just win, they must destroy opponents...the Cougs are 34.5 pt road favorites (though there likely will be more UH fans in TSU's 30K capacity stadium)...lay the points as UH keeps the foot on the pedal in the 2nd half

Sat, 7:00, ESPN-3: Ga Southern at Western Michigan...Tech of course faces the Eagles in a few weeks...GSU has played nobody so far...WMU has already beaten 2 Big 10 teams on the road...BION, I have been by Waldo Stadium about 622 times when on business back in the day in Kalamazoo, but I digress...WMU is laying 7 at home...GSU crushed WMU at Statesboro a season ago...but that was then with a different HC...probably not playing this one though the over 53.5 looks tempting...more interested in what GSU does

Sat, 7:00, ESPN-3: Army at Buffalo...still rooting big for former Jacket AC and Ga Southern HC, Jeff Monken, as he tries to rebuild the Black Knights...they are 3-0 and laying 14.5 up the road at a Bulls team who lost to D1AA Albany by 6 in their opener and followed up with a 24 pt loss at Nevada...I don't recall the last time I saw Army laying 2 TD's on the road, but if my day is going well, I may lay a unit on Monken and his guys

Sat, 7:30, FOX: Oklahoma State at Baylor...Okie State has a head coach who is FORTY and HE'S A MAN and don't you forget it, BUB!...Baylor has a good head coach who is squeaky clean and reminds me of my accountant...but, this is a Big12 game and automatically that means we must consider playing OVER the 75 total because as we all know they play absolutely no defense in the Big12

Sat, 7:30, SEC Network: South Carolina at Kentucky...remember that SEC mediocre commentary earlier?...here it is on parade...UK is laying 2...what the hell for I have no idea...they suck...South Carolina isn't much better, but I bet they suck just a little less...I got some good advice years ago to avoid games between two sucky teams...maybe I'll leave this one alone now that I think about it

If there is any truth to the rumors of utter disarray in the USC locker room, the Utes -3 is a sound play indeed - and one that I'm playing along side of you, mate. I usually only pick 1 to 3 plays to go after each week and this one made the cut. Take the number now, as it could rise if any legitimate news breaks on the locker room issues.

Pause on that Missy St. at UMass. game. That would be my play of the week, taking Dan Mullen and giving up the three TD's. Didn't B.C. trounce Mass. by 26-7? Not a very good B.C. team.

Just because I was curious...

The last time Mississippi State ventured outside of the SEC or Southeast/South for a game was 2007 when they were drilled 38-13 by #9 West Virginia in Morgantown.

In 2002, they traveled to #15 Oregon to open the season and were beaten, 36-13. MSU was a terrible team that year as they wound up 3-9 overall and 0-8 in the SEC.

In 2000, they traveled to BYU and won 44-28.

So, in the last 16 years they've traveled outside their normal region for a game 3 times. Pretty consistent with a lot of the SEC though I guess. Ga Tech OTOH by contrast has played 3 games in the last 4 seasons outside of our normal region - 2013 at BYU, 2015 at Notre Dame, 2016 vs BC in Ireland.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Go UMass!

You've been given a sample of my selections, so betting opposite might be a good idea. Having said that, this is the strongest feeling I've had about two teams this season. The games you brought up were without Dan Mullen and staff. They were not ready for S. Ala. in a one point loss, defeated S.C. by 13 and lost by a FG vs. LSU in Bengal Den. Mass. is a crummy 0-3.

If they don't go up there and win by 35, I'll take Stech81's ugliest wife!

I'm in the clubhouse now with Utah -3 and GT +310. The last time I made a play like this on Tech football was "the kick and the pick" game at the cesspool for a very similar number. Hoping for a similar result tomorrow night!!

Yeah, can't you tell by the results? I'm running a solid 5th, "right in the meaty part of the curve" as George Costanza once said.

UMass is 1-2. They defeated FIU last weekend. In Week 1 at The Swamp, Florida was leading UMass 10-7 entering the 4Q and 13-7 with 9 minutes left in the game...wound up wilting in the heat by 17 pts. UMass was down 13-7 against BC at the half and then 19-7 with 6 minutes left in the game before losing 26-7. Miss State is mediocre...along with much of the SEC.

Texwood...I went with Utah laying 3 Friday night for 2 units and dropped a unit on TCU covering 20'. Good luck!! Obviously, I hope that GT +310 is a big winner for you (and all of us).

I went all-in for the kick and pick game at +300 because I thought that line was way off the mark. And it was - erase the 14 point swing the refs gifted the Dwags and we win that one going away.

This time I'm not nearly as confident, so I'm just sticking my foot into the water with one unit. Clemson is young on the D-line and we are much improved on the O-line. I'm looking for Freddie Burden and Parker Braun (yes, a true freshman) to do big things on the interior tomorrow night. I'm also encouraged by the crisp gap integrity we are seeing on the defensive side of the ball. Given everything I've seen from both teams this season, the line should be closer to what your associates predicted. Thus a value play. Let's win this one Jackets!!!

I considered S. Florida, but thought against it with them being more focused this week and something to prove.

The question for Ole Miss, will they blow another 21 point lead?

One more to add to the list...

...Pitt-Cheaters over 67. I expect another shootout involving a Pitt game. The Cheaters D is awful. Pitt should have no problem scoring. Then again, neither should the Cheaters.

I'm rounding out this week's action with Pitt +240 (need something for Saturday). I like the over in this one too, but there is a chance Pitt could throw a heavy dose of Conner between the tackles at the Cheaters which would run clock and limit possessions. Good luck on all yours, mate!

I expect the best chance at stopping Conner between the tackles at Kenan Cheater Stadium will be the endzone.

You're probably right, and the over is probably safe in this impersonation of a Big 12 game.

On the bright side tonight, Climp-son fans were ugly and boastful. Since they have become ultra-competitive in football, nasty replaced some "class". Also, found three people on this site to click the ignore button on.

We had one slant in to Juene on a quick "pick screen", I didn't know was in the CPJ playbook. That and the traditional screen passes would have stopped fire sale pursuit. JT5 was so harassed he missed one wide open in the flat. Reverses would never work, because the blockers were diving at the LBers feet and missing/whiffing continuesly. On the Mills pass, you must make Ricky go get it on a fly pattern(either he catches it over his shoulder or nobody gets it). You can tell we practiced it about once or twice. JT5 has limited arm strength on the one decent protection play. When your target is slowing up, it allows the defenders to catch up to converge on the ball.

Sun should come out tomorrow, it was definetly out prior to kickoff, today!

Though I know he would trade it to be wrong in a heartbeat and is a hollow "victory", it still deserves a tip of the cap when one of us fartekers picks up a stroke on the entire field. stech81 and his going against the grain strategy this week pays off in Game 1 as he was the only picker to take the Kitty Cats laying 9.5.

I was starting to get a little encouraged in the 3Q thinking maybe - just maybe, mind you - the Good Guys could sneak in a backdoor cover. But, then reality hit and I saw our offense back on the field. Wuump wump.

Fri, 9pm, FS1: Southern Cal at Utah...3-0 Utes are only laying 3 pts which means the linesmaker must think this would be a Pick'Em on a neutral field...USC has played 2 road games - vs Bama and at Stanford - and lost by 46 and 17...Utah plays good D...USC starting a new QB...laying the 3

This was my play of the week with 5 units at stake. Feel lucky to catch this one after failing miserably with GT +310. I'm already up on the weekend, but if Pitt pulls through at +240, that makes three straight weeks of a big approving smile from my wife.

Go Pitt!!

I was 2-0 last night. Took Utah and feel fortunate to win it. I changed my mind on the TCU-SMU over and instead went with TCU laying 20.5 I feel fortunate to win that one too considering it was only 6-3 at the half. TCU turned it on in the 2nd half.

Good luck today, mate.

Enjoying the hell out of missing my pick in our contest regarding the butt kicking going on in Oxford.

I hope they lose like this next week. Of course I say that every week. But next week especially.

Virginia built a surprising 28-0 lead over Central Michigan. CMU just scored to start the 4Q to come all the way back and tie it at 28-28. LOL.

Virginia just scored to take a 35-28 lead.

Side note, Neyland Stadium looks amazing with the checkerboard look today in the stands. Unfortunately, I/we have to endure these 2 bumbling boobs calling the game for CBS for today and next Saturday. Just awful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT