ADVERTISEMENT

CFB Pick'Em Contest: Week 3 of 14

GTJT622

Mar 23, 2014
Quick Week 2 Recap: Tough week for pretty much all. Tip of the cap to BornAJacket who was the only player with a winning ticket (6-4). 4 others came in at 5-5. As expected, our first and only unanimous pick (Duke -5) lost. Play of the week goes to BFLJr. who was the only one to play Tennessee who covered the spread with ease. BAJ and I benefited from a late backdoor cover by Virginia.

Standings after Week 2:

BornAJacket 12-7
GTJT622 12-7
Texwood 11-8
SPRITE6 11-8
RyanS12 10-9
stech81 8-11
BFLJr 7-12
BuzzForLife 6-13

Week 3 games and spreads below. Please submit picks via reply by Thursday at 4pm like normal. Thanks.

Game 1: 12:00 (ABC) Florida State -2.5 at Louisville

Game 2: 12:00 (ESPN) Miami
-3.5 at Appalachian State

Game 3: 12:30 (ACC Network) Vanderbilt at Ga Tech

Game 4: 1:30 (ESPN-3) Virginia at Connecticut -4.0

Game 5: 3:30 (ESPN-U) Boston College at Virginia Tech -6.0

Game 6: 3:30 (ESPN) Pittsburgh at Oklahoma State -6.5

Game 7: 3:30 (CBS) Alabama -10.0 at Ole Miss

Game 8: 7:30 (NBC) Michigan State at Notre Dame

Game 9: 7:30 (FOX) Ohio State -2.5 at Oklahoma

Game 10: 8:00 (Big 10 Network) Duke at Northwestern

Ready to take my lumps, again!

F$U(still don't believe in Louisville, even at home...Petrino the slime)
Appy St.(1 point game here and someone has to pick them)
G.T.(this one worries me, defense please show up)
UVa(taking the points, these are awfully bad teams)
B.C.
Pitt.
Ole Missy
Mich. St.(Irish luck in O.T.)
Ohio St.(Sooners now go for an MEG)
NWestern.(again, two bad teams right now). Losing Sirk had to hurt.

Can't "pick" my nose, but who really wants to do that anyway? Please Budha, one winning week?

surprised by a few games last week as was everyone. Duke is really disappointing everyone this year it seems. It's going to be tough picking them again this week, so I won't.

FSU - Fisher > Petrino
UM - toss up, but I think Miami will simply have more speed at the end of the game
GT - defense needs to slam the dores on multiple drives this game.
UVA - more about what UConn doesn't have
BC - low scoring game, how good is VPI's kicker?
OSU - I'd rather pick Pitt, but I think OSU will be out for retribution
UA - pick against Saban?? really
ND - probably the most dangerous pick of the week
OSU - Sooners haven't shown they are worthy of a pick
NW - Duke will show up, but their QB trouble continues as they go back to The Future

I'm still thinking and it hurts. Looks like I need to make my picks and then go with the other team.

Mine...

FSU (Noles have played somebody to date...UofL has not)
Miami (tempting to go with Appy St...but think the low spread serves proper notice to Richt's thugs)
GT (predicted 24-10 win back in summer preview and will stick with that)
Virginia (don't like either team so will go with the pts)
BC (Eagles play enough D to keep it close)
Pitt (Big 12 plays no D and Pitt plays just enough to win outright...high scoring affair...last team with ball wins)
Bama (no way I'm going against the Tide in a double-revenge role and a PO'd Nick Saban)
Mich State (the extra half point provides comfort and sways me)
Ohio State (Big 12 plays no D, but you knew that already...Ohio State will play better D)
NW'ern (TBH, I flipped a coin)

I'm still thinking and it hurts. Looks like I need to make my picks and then go with the other team.
Please loan me one of your blonde wives for next week? Doesn't matter if she can count to ten. I can't do much worse, although GTMBB would love 6 wins in this upcoming conference schedule.

GTJT622 won't loan Ginger out for scratching out a few selections. He runs a clean contest, knowing my intentions stink as bad as these picks of mine.

Take solice and remember if all methods fail, go opposite from those I posted above. Following that formula, you'd be 13-6 right now. Good for first place.

FSU - Francois+Cook > Jackson+Radcliff
Miami - Appy keeps it close but spray tan boy's talent edge will be enough to beat the spread late in the game.
Vandy - Oren Burks looks like the sort that gives us fits in that deep middle-backer-option-spy-spot in a 4-3 alignment (think Sean Spence from Miami a few years back). Close game that may require more late game heroics from JT5 to eek out the victory.
UConn - Line looks reasonable, go with the home team on this one.
VT - Forget the spread and go with the under 42. Coin flip pick ATS.
OSU - Mike Gundy will have his troops full attention this week, and he's a man, he's forty!
Bammer - That defense might be better than some NFL units. All of the ingredients for a thorough beat down in this one.
Michigan State - I think this is a close one that Sparty has a decent chance of winning straight up. Take MSU +255 here.
Ohio State - Urban Meyer has reloaded and they are set to go after a pair of tune-up games. Look for the Big 10 to have a good showing in two big time match ups on Saturday night.
Duke - Ugly home losses to Western Michigan and Illinois State do not inspire confidence, much less 6.5 points.

1) FSU
2) Miami
3)GT
4)UConn
5)VT
6)Pitt
7)Ole Miss
8)Mich State
9)Ohio State
10)Duke

Seemed easier in game 5 to go with BC. Putting down VT sounds like some terminal venerial disease. VPI makes me feel old, besides we know already they practice animal husbandry...Vick learned about dogs fighting like a married couple, while attending.

I despise picking them, same with the Cheaters from the Tabacco State.

Bump...7 are in the pub...awaiting one more...or, anybody else who wants to belly up to the bar

(no golf analogies this week)

BFL, Jr. is busy studying. No not Geometry or American History or American Lit.-mostly Collegiate Football. He won't just predict the 10, he gives me scores, games I didn't know existed. North Dakota St. and their streak of championships. Montana and places I thought only had mules running around in them.

He's getting his haircut tomorrow, which might lighten his load of brain power. Told him 4 is the deadline.

Budha is the Village.
Sorry Buddha, for leaving a "D" out of your name up above. I know that I shouldn't be looking at my picks again. Neither should the fine moderator comprising the keen selections of the Magnificent 7(the remake of the film is coming out in a timely manner).

Many kudos to our Sabermatrician, GTJT622 and the Beautiful Beagle!

Texwood, good buddy-
Jr. pulls hard against Saban, unless it's the Mutts. He has two friends who are 'Bama crazy, but he just has to root for Auburn or Missy or the others. When he uses God's name in vein, my counter is that He, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, don't care who wins a game. Personally, I only like Vandy(other than this week)in the $EC. I'm trying to tolerate Tenn. since we have a brother on here, who has paid them a ransom in tuition costs. Pat Summit was a special one, too.

Please forget about Juniors picks, we need Buddha for my selections. I picked Ole Missy, as well!

Line moves of note...

• FSU is now favored by 1 pt (at Louisville) - down from 2.5 earlier in the week
  • Pitt is now a 4.5 pt underdog (at Okie State) - down from 6.5 earlier in the week
  • Alabama is now an 11 pt favorite (at Ole Miss) - up from 10.0 earlier in the week
  • Ohio State is now a 1.5 pt favorite (at Oklahoma) - down from 2.5 earlier in the week
  • Duke is now a 3.5 pt underdog (at Northwestern) - down from 6.5 earlier in the week

No unanimous picks this week, but we do have 4 games where only 1 team was picked. Those are...

• Louisville (SPRITE6) over FSU
  • Appalachian State (Buzzforlife) over Miami
  • Notre Dame (BornAJacket) over Mich State
  • Oklahoma (RyanS12) over Ohio State

Nice to know that I only have one of those oddities this week. With any luck I'm .500 this week, or around the Mendoza line as usual.

No unanimous picks this week, but we do have 4 games where only 1 team was picked. Those are...

heehee

Very good call, SPRITE6. Well done.

I'm a believer in the Cardinals...now. I admit I wasn't heading in.

UofL heading to Clemson in a couple of weeks. I hope the Kitty Cats are looking ahead when they step onto Grant Field Thursday night.

Virginia loses its 17th straight road game. This time, 13-10, at UConn. But, they do cover the spread...for the 2nd week in a row.

As expected, Pitt & Okie State in a shootout right now. OSU leading 24-17 with 5 minutes left in the 1st half.

Hokies ripping the offensively-challenged Eagles of Boston right now...up 21-0 late 1st half.

Very good call, SPRITE6. Well done.

I'm a believer in the Cardinals...now. I admit I wasn't heading in.

UofL heading to Clemson in a couple of weeks. I hope the Kitty Cats are looking ahead when they step onto Grant Field Thursday night.
Thank you for not pointing out that I picked the Dores as well. I believed they would cover more so than win. I just always feel like I instantly jinx the YJs when I pick them to win. Proud of the White and Gold today!

How about Ole Miss putting the beat down on Saban and Bama 24-3 in the first half. BFL Jr.'s bold call for the outright win is looking good at the moment!!

Pretty amazing indeed. That is, the hex the Rebs have over the Tide.

Louisville might get some votes for #1 this week, not that it matters at this stage of the season. But still, a big deal for them (and the ACC).

#1 and #2 (already done) may go down this week. Could the Kitty Cats roll into BDS ranked #1?

Bama cuts the Ole Miss lead to 24-17 at the half. Come on, Rebs!

(I picked Bama to cover in our contest, but don't care...would love to see the upset)

Contest update...

...Hokies now up 28-0. Assuming they go on and cover (and I doubt BC can even score 10 pts, might as well 22), thru the first 5 games completed, we'll have 6 players who are 3-2 so far and 2 who are 2-3. Pretty tight this week halfway thru.

A lot is going to be made in the next week or two about Tech facing perhaps the top 2 picks in next spring's NFL Draft in Watson, then Kaaya the following week.

But, and you heard it here first, the most potent and BEST offense we may face is coming up after those 2 at Pitt. The Panthers are a force offensively. Our D is certainly getting ready to face a gauntlet of strong offenses. And, Georgia Southern will be a heckuva challenge as well coming back after Pitt too.

Put your big boy pants on CTR and Defense. It's about to get real.

Still not sure that any team will win out. But you do have Houston and they have an easy Schedule

Hokies 42-0 over BC. WOW! So much for the vaunted BC defense being so...well...vaunted.

Still not sure that any team will win out. But you do have Houston and they have an easy Schedule

Well, we are. What the hell is wrong with you? Why do you settle for mediocrity, mate? You need to drink more.

FIFTEEN AND OH, BABYYYYYYY!

tumblr_mbt1flCpS81qe97k6.gif

BANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DANCEBANANA DARK HAIREDBANANA DARK HAIREDBANANA DARK HAIREDBANANA DARK HAIREDBANANA DEVILBANANA DEVILBANANA DEVILBANANA DEVIL
BANANA SPLITSBANANA SPLITSBANANA SPLITSBANANA SPLITSRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock HornsRock Horns

Virginia missed an 18 yd FG at the buzzer that would've put the game into overtime at UConn.

LOL!

For those planning to watch the big Ohio State-Oklahoma game, reports are that the game will be delayed at least 90 minutes due to weather. Looking at a 9pmET kickoff. Works for me. Can watch MichSt-ND (and hopefully the Mizzou Tigers make some noise).

Jeannine EdwardsESPN Reporter
espn_generic_m.jpg

Severe weather in Norman has evacuated Gaylord-Memorial Stadium. Ohio State--OK now kicks at 8pm CT

4c636fe1-3e98-4743-a337-bf0a0880c5a9.jpg

Last edited:
Pitt-OkieSt tied 38-38 w/ 5 mins left in 3Q. Both teams may break 50+. Easiest play of the day for me was this one (played the over 59.5).

It's been all Tide since going down 24-3. 31-3 since then.

Game in Stillwater has been delayed due to lightning. Pitt-OSU tied 38-38 early 4Q.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT